Expired

Just wondering if anyone knows of a free email migration tool? BTyahoo account closures notification on 16 September 2013.

Found 6th Aug 2013
Hi just received notification of the impeding BTinternet.com email account closure. I've now set up a real yahoo account and am looking for a free method to migrate my old messages fromm my btinternet ac to this new yahoo account
.."trueswitch "is no longer available for messages and can only now be used for just contact migration for new users
"Yippie Move" is not free either
Just wondering if anyone knows of a free migration tool please?
thanks

24 Comments

Interesting question. I'm not familiar with anything that might do this (I've not even Googled it to be honest), but can I assume you're attempting to migrate all of your mail from one web based account to another? One suggestion I would have had (depending on your preference), would be to set up either Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook (depending on your OS), and put all the mail settings in, and pull your mail in that way. That will create a mail database which you can then keep as an "archive" for historical purposes. Not sure if this would suit you or not. Otherwise, I'd be glad to take a look around too.

Original Poster

Hi thanks for the reply, that's an option.
I'd rather keep it all cloud based rather than on a computer..
Trueswitch would have made it easy but I think they shut down the service mid May
yeah many thanks for your input anyway

darklight

Hi thanks for the reply, that's an option.I'd rather keep it all cloud … Hi thanks for the reply, that's an option.I'd rather keep it all cloud based rather than on a computer..Trueswitch would have made it easy but I think they shut down the service mid Mayyeah many thanks for your input anyway

I'm looking at options at the moment anyway -- until someone comes up with something clever
Edited by: "bandwidthbob" 6th Aug 2013

Banned

see if there is a setting in btinternet to forward emails to new yahoo address

if there is, then there may be a check box to retrospectively apply the forwarding. I know you can do this in gmail.

Original Poster

csiman

see if there is a setting in btinternet to forward emails to new yahoo … see if there is a setting in btinternet to forward emails to new yahoo addressif there is, then there may be a check box to retrospectively apply the forwarding. I know you can do this in gmail.

can only forward messages one at a time ..this bt account was leftover after moving from bt-broadband provider several years ago. I only kept the emai as l it had my real name in the address . I've always accessed the account through the Yahoo Portal but this will no longer be free after 16 Sept. Luckily I've managed to set up a "real" yahoo account with my name again but finding the migration process a bit of a headache.
Btinternet ( without BT Broadband) has lots of features disabled in the btyahoo access portal..only option is to forward messages to the new account one at a time..
thanks for you input too

Original Poster

Boogie83e

Won't BT move your old BT yahoo email address to BT's new email … Won't BT move your old BT yahoo email address to BT's new email service...BT Mail (run by BT)? :|http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=0430658A-A93D-4048-8E14-66DAEC875C71

Thanks but the email I received ( copied below suggests otherwise)

We're closing some of our email services

Reference: 0D0AE8CD

Hello,
This summer, we're simplifying our email product range and we'll be closing some of our email services on 16 September 2013.

This means that your email address will stop working after that date.

Act now if you want to keep your email address
There are three things you can do to keep your email address and all your messages and contacts. But whichever one you pick, you must do it before 16 September.

1. If you've got BT Broadband, you can keep your email address for free
Just link your address to your BT account. It's quick, easy and free. You can find out more and follow the instructions at bt.com/lin…ail. (You'll need your reference number, which we've included above.)

2. If you don't have BT Broadband, sign up to keep your email address
You can sign up for BT Broadband and then link your BT email address to it. To do that:

keep this email safe, you'll need it later
once you've placed your order, come back to this email and link your email address to your new account by filling in the form at bt.com/lin…ail. You'll need to put in your order and fill in the form before 16 September. You'll also need the reference number above.

3. Keep your email address by signing up for BT Premium Mail
If you haven't got BT Broadband and you don't want to sign up for it, you can still keep your email address by signing up for BT Premium Mail for £1.60 a month. Find out more at bt.com/pre…ail.

Don't need your email address any more?
If you're not using your BT email address or messages any more, you don't need to do anything. Your email, and any services linked with it, will stop working after 16 September.

You can find out more about these changes at bt.com/ema…ges.

Thanks.

Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Service
Edited by: "darklight" 6th Aug 2013

darklight

can only forward messages one at a time ..this bt account was leftover … can only forward messages one at a time ..this bt account was leftover after moving from bt-broadband provider several years ago. I only kept the emai as l it had my real name in the address . I've always accessed the account through the Yahoo Portal but this will no longer be free after 16 Sept. Luckily I've managed to set up a "real" yahoo account with my name again but finding the migration process a bit of a headache. Btinternet ( without BT Broadband) has lots of features disabled in the btyahoo access portal..only option is to forward messages to the new account one at a time..thanks for you input too

Thought that might be the case -- forwarding one at a time will be a pain (and impractical). I'm not sure what BTInternet's backend is like, but are these of any use?

salvair.com/fir…ces

migrationwiz.com/

Another option which I'm sure you've explored, would be to "pull" the emails into Yahoo, rather than "push" them from the old account. Might be worth a punt (I did this once with Gmail when I needed all my old emails from an older account, but forget how now).

This might also help (I know you're not using Gmail, but the idea should be the same, assuming you have all the pop and smtp settings) ...

silvermac.com/200…il/

Original Poster

trueswitch was supposed to make it easy to push/pull.. within the same email provider..
yes did see Mgirationwiz ..and thought about the free trial but limited to something like 10 messages per folder. Others are have free time limited offers drawing down messages no older than a fortnight old
I've looked at salvair..appears to be a paid for service too
Thanks again anyway

darklight

trueswitch was supposed to make it easy to push/pull.. within the same … trueswitch was supposed to make it easy to push/pull.. within the same email provider..yes did see Mgirationwiz ..and thought about the free trial but limited to something like 10 messages per folder. Others are have free time limited offers drawing down messages no older than a fortnight oldI've looked at salvair..appears to be a paid for service tooThanks again anyway

Sorry, I'm not being much help then Personally, I'd pull them into a mail client and archive them. Surprised there isn;t a free service out there (that actually works). Also assuming you're not with BT Broadband, or all of this would go away?

If this is a domain based email, ie yourdomain.co.uk then I suggest using zoho as they will migrate your email.

If not the only other alternative might be to download the email in to csv file and then perhaps you can import that.

Original Poster

bandwidthbob

Sorry, I'm not being much help then Personally, I'd pull them into a … Sorry, I'm not being much help then Personally, I'd pull them into a mail client and archive them. Surprised there isn;t a free service out there (that actually works). Also assuming you're not with BT Broadband, or all of this would go away?

apologies been away trying your" pop "suggestion..seems to be pulling justt the inbox messages but using the same time stamp for every single message ..no folder download option..but hey thanks
p.s. no I'm not a BT Broadband customer

darklight

apologies been away trying your" pop "suggestion..seems to be pulling … apologies been away trying your" pop "suggestion..seems to be pulling justt the inbox messages but using the same time stamp for every single message ..no folder download option..but hey thanksp.s. no I'm not a BT Broadband customer

The timestamp thing sucks -- but, if that's the case, and it's working (and you don;t mind the timestamp), then I'd suggest doing the following:

1. Pull all the emails from your old inbox into you new inbox via pop.
2. Make a new folder in your new email inbox, and moves those (called something like migrated inbox).
3. Delete the emails from your old inbox, leaving only the folders.
4. (Only when I got to step 4 I realised this might not be ideal, but ...) move each folder of email into the inbox, one folder at a time (if that makes sense).
5. Repeat step 1, and pull your new set of emails from the old inbox to the new inbox.
6. Tag those, and file them into their new appropriately named home/folder.
7. Once they're all done, and your new inbox is empy, move emails from migrated inbox back to new inbox.

If this isn't viable (if you have way too many subfolders), then you can just ignore me about now

Original Poster

davelangston

If this is a domain based email, ie yourdomain.co.uk then I suggest using … If this is a domain based email, ie yourdomain.co.uk then I suggest using zoho as they will migrate your email.If not the only other alternative might be to download the email in to csv file and then perhaps you can import that.

thanks I'll have a tinker with this too..hopefully migrate my folders too

Edited by: "darklight" 6th Aug 2013

Original Poster

bandwidthbob

The timestamp thing sucks -- but, if that's the case, and it's working … The timestamp thing sucks -- but, if that's the case, and it's working (and you don;t mind the timestamp), then I'd suggest doing the following:1. Pull all the emails from your old inbox into you new inbox via pop.2. Make a new folder in your new email inbox, and moves those (called something like migrated inbox).3. Delete the emails from your old inbox, leaving only the folders.4. (Only when I got to step 4 I realised this might not be ideal, but ...) move each folder of email into the inbox, one folder at a time (if that makes sense).5. Repeat step 1, and pull your new set of emails from the old inbox to the new inbox.6. Tag those, and file them into their new appropriately named home/folder.7. Once they're all done, and your new inbox is empy, move emails from migrated inbox back to new inbox.If this isn't viable (if you have way too many subfolders), then you can just ignore me about now

you're a genius ..talk about thinking outside the box

darklight

you're a genius ..talk about thinking outside the box

Would require a lot of your time though -- if the emails are worth it See how the suggestion from davelangston goes too.

Original Poster

davelangston

If this is a domain based email, ie yourdomain.co.uk then I suggest using … If this is a domain based email, ie yourdomain.co.uk then I suggest using zoho as they will migrate your email.If not the only other alternative might be to download the email in to csv file and then perhaps you can import that.

Hello again , my email is domain-based
I've looked at Zoho but it seems to support migration to their servers.
Doesn't mention migration across accounts nor folder preservation
thank you

darklight

Hello again , my email is domain-based I've looked at Zoho but it seems … Hello again , my email is domain-based I've looked at Zoho but it seems to support migration to their servers.Doesn't mention migration across accounts nor folder preservationthank you

Yes sorry should made it clear it was analternative email solution. I moved my domain and then used the miration option there and it transfered all the folders, took about an hour. Thing is if it doesn't work it's cost nothing but your time. Zoho free solution is not bad.

darklight

Hello again , my email is domain-based I've looked at Zoho but it seems … Hello again , my email is domain-based I've looked at Zoho but it seems to support migration to their servers.Doesn't mention migration across accounts nor folder preservationthank you

Another idea ... (not tested it though).

shuttlecloud.com/sol…ns/

Original Poster

bandwidthbob

Another idea ... (not tested it though).http://shuttlecloud.com/solutions/

thanks very much .. gave up for a bit and went off to do some indoor climbing ..back now ...about to have a look at this solution.. greatly appreciate your help

darklight

thanks very much .. gave up for a bit and went off to do some indoor … thanks very much .. gave up for a bit and went off to do some indoor climbing ..back now ...about to have a look at this solution.. greatly appreciate your help

No worries -- let us know how you get on. Hopefully you find a solution.

darklight

thanks very much .. gave up for a bit and went off to do some indoor … thanks very much .. gave up for a bit and went off to do some indoor climbing ..back now ...about to have a look at this solution.. greatly appreciate your help

Hey darklight, how did you get on?

Original Poster

bandwidthbob

Hey darklight, how did you get on?

oh hello , only picking up on your message, yes many thanks for your input..I think I'll go with Yippiemove..I'll just have to swallow the $15 handling fee. Many many thanks again .

darklight

oh hello , only picking up on your message, yes many thanks for your … oh hello , only picking up on your message, yes many thanks for your input..I think I'll go with Yippiemove..I'll just have to swallow the $15 handling fee. Many many thanks again .

No worries bud, hope it works for you (it did work for you).

Take it easy
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants