Kaspersky / Cyber Security

Found 2nd Dec 2017
Given the article below, would you continue to use Kaspersky?
Secondly, the article goes on to talk about how Russia is acting against the UK:
Last month, Prime Minister Theresa May warned the Russian state was acting against the UK's national interest in cyberspace.
Following her warning, Ciaran Martin, chief executive of the NCSC, said Russia had targeted British infrastructure, including power and telecoms.

If proven, shouldn't that be deemed as act of war? Or are our own people doing the same back at Russia and it's friends?

bbc.co.uk/new…191
The British government has issued a fresh warning about the security risks of using Russian anti-virus software.

The National Cyber Security Centre is to write to all government departments warning against using the products for systems related to national security.

The UK cyber-security agency will say the software could be exploited by the Russian government.

Security firm Kaspersky Labs, accused in the US of being used by the Russian state for espionage, denied wrongdoing.

Kaspersky Labs is widely used by consumers and businesses across the globe, although they are not being advised to stop using the software, as well as by some parts of the UK government.

Around the world, 400 million people use Kaspersky products.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

Think I'd be OK to use it , but I hope GCHQ aren't

BBC article also said “Officials stress they are not recommending members of the public or companies stop using Kaspersky software.
“Beyond this relatively small number of systems, we see no compelling case at present to extend that advice to the wider public sector, more general enterprises, or individuals,” Mr Levy added.
“Whatever you do, don’t panic.
“For example, we really don’t want people doing things like ripping out Kaspersky software at large as it makes little sense.”

So in other words this is simply fearmongering. I’ll continue to use them as long as they provide best protection for my pc’s.

I'll still use it Comrade.
All hail Emperor Putin.

I think you may have more to fear from your own government than any other as they want to see everything you have.

hackread.com/man…og/

I won't be using Kaspersky once my subscription runs out. Not worried about Putin spying on me:

Barclays have pulled their free Kaspersky offer, supposedly as a precautionary measure due to the news item.

No mention of a replacement, so more likely to be a cost cutting measure, I suspect.

barclays.co.uk/hel…ty/
Edited by: "melted" 2nd Dec 2017

Original Poster

melted1 h, 30 m ago

I won't be using Kaspersky once my subscription runs out. Not worried …I won't be using Kaspersky once my subscription runs out. Not worried about Putin spying on me:Barclays have pulled their free Kaspersky offer, supposedly as a precautionary measure due to the news item.No mention of a replacement, so more likely to be a cost cutting measure, I suspect.https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/security-fraud/renew-kaspersky-internet-security/

Bet that was just the sort of excuse they were looking for to pull the plug and avoid criticism

What a nothing news story, so contentless.

I use free software coupled with browser add-ons and common sense.
Edited by: "catbeans" 2nd Dec 2017

After the stories of late especially the ones of hackers using this as a back door I am suprised it didn’t happen sooner. Got grief on a thread on here for saying it a few weeks and really have no idea why people still pay for it or even give money to Barclays when they offered it when there are plenty of better free versions out there.

If the government tells u not to use Kaspersky, trust me, they are doing something right. Use it

Why not just use Sophos?

Up and coming!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants