Groups

Keep Heating On 24/7 Or Use The Timer?

Hi All,

I posted this question here:
    hotukdeals.com/ite…ors

but it looks like the thred has died and no1 replyed to me
    lol

anyways, just wondering if its best to keep the heating on all day or just the timer to have it pop on at certin times.

At the moment the bolier is on a timer, it comes on at 3pm and shuts off at 10pm.
    Mon - Fri

I was wondering if this is saving me money, or is it better to keep it on all day long on a low setting?

Any ideas?
    Thx

25 Comments

My boiler man told me to keep it on at an ambient temperature and my bills are quite low compared to when it was on a timer

we keep it on. Dont have a timer actually anyway.

Original Poster

cherishu2;4338683

we keep it on. Dont have a timer actually anyway.

so u keep it on, evan if no1 is at home?
    what setting do you leave it on?

Keep it on if you are only out for the day, it will use less power this way. Switching it on and off only means you have to reheat the room - false economy.

why don't you take a meter reading over a week period switched on, and the take a meter reading for a week on timer. Sounds like a bit of work, but it'll give you a better idea?

Thinking about it you'd prob have to have a look at your billing prices aswell, as these vary throughout the day depending on your tariff

If you have kids or people at home all the time or most of the time is better to keep it on all the time.

If you are not I suppose it would be better to put the timer.

One thing that I did notice is that by having it on all the time the boiler goes off a lot less than when is on the timer, as the temperature is pretty much the same all the time.

Original Poster

I have a combi bolier btw

Interesting question - we've just had our gas bill and it was huge. I wanted to know why it had increased so much - whether it was down to usage, as I am on maternity leave or cost

I've looked at the last 3 year's bills for the period end Oct to end Jan

2006 - On mat leave, heating on 6.15am to midnight, 8.14 units per day
    2007 - At work, heating 6.15 - 7.15am, 4pm to midnight, 8.25 units per day
    2008 - On mat leave, heating on 6.15am to midnight, 8.95 units per day

The only difference I can think of is that this last quarter we have used slightly more hot water

The huge increase in the bill was down to unit price

Original Poster

Mijooly;4338747

Interesting question - we've just had our gas bill and it was huge. I … Interesting question - we've just had our gas bill and it was huge. I wanted to know why it had increased so much - whether it was down to usage, as I am on maternity leave or costI've looked at the last 3 year's bills for the period end Oct to end Jan2006 - On mat leave, heating on 6.15am to midnight, 8.14 units per day 2007 - At work, heating 6.15 - 7.15am, 4pm to midnight, 8.25 units per day2008 - On mat leave, heating on 6.15am to midnight, 8.95 units per dayThe only difference I can think of is that this last quarter we have used slightly more hot waterThe huge increase in the bill was down to unit price

so would you say its best to leave the heating on 24/7?

I have the same as you, heating comes on at 7 am till 10 am then 3.30pm till 9.30pm and if I'm in during the day and I'm coId I switch it on and switch if off if I'm hot. If I leave the doors closed the heat stays in for a while anyway and so doesn' take much to heat up. I just can't, physically, leave it on all the time - if I'm not in, it bugs me lol

choc1969;4338674

ambient

Nice!

on all the time....

We have a programmable Drayton electronic timer that lets you set 4 separate on/off times each day of the week with different temperatures for each on/off. That way the temp can be lowered by a couple of degs during the day when nobody's home. It also lets you select higher temps at weekends. If you're considering changing your boiler I would look at renewable energy and replace it with a heatpump instead that could produce all your heating and hot water without using any gas or oil. An higher initial investment but thereafter extremely low running costs and extremely green.

From what I am reading it seems that most of you guys have gas heating. Does anyone have oil central heating and would they also recommend that it be set to "on" all the time?

Mine is on all the time, BUT I control it via the thermostat, i.e. while I'm at home I turn it up, usually to between 17-18 ( my thermostat is on the stairs, if you have yours in the living area you'd be better off around 22 as that area will have a higher ambient temperature anyway than my cold hallway ) and when I go out or go to bed turn it down to around 13, that way it doesn't go stone cold so takes less energy to warm up when I need it to :thumbsup:

Original Poster

im thinking maybe setting the temp down on the thormostat down to about 10 during the night, then put it up to 15 for the rest of the day

Original Poster

MrGrumpyman;4339009

Mine is on all the time, BUT I control it via the thermostat, i.e. while … Mine is on all the time, BUT I control it via the thermostat, i.e. while I'm at home I turn it up, usually to between 17-18 ( my thermostat is on the stairs, if you have yours in the living area you'd be better off around 22 as that area will have a higher ambient temperature anyway than my cold hallway ) and when I go out or go to bed turn it down to around 13, that way it doesn't go stone cold so takes less energy to warm up when I need it to :thumbsup:

my bolier and thomostat are located in the dining room, maybe 15 would be ok?

I would just say stick a jumper on. man I sound like my dad, lol.

Nah, keeping it on a low temp all day is more energy efficient, lol

i leave mine on all day , i do turn it off when we all in bed,, the difference is ,, i have no thermostat ,, its one heat all the time,,, my heating is so old ,, i have to use a handle to turn from heating to water ,, i cant have both on at same time,,, BTW i live in private rented accomodation ,, so have no choice over the old heating system

we was told by gas man that it is cheaper left on all the time

Looks like your thread was more successful than mine, Tanchi! :thumbsup:
    To all the folks who keep their heating on all day at 15-17, or 21-22, What setting do you have the individual radiators set to? At they on full, or halfway, or down low? Thanks.

MrGrumpyman;4339009

Mine is on all the time, BUT I control it via the thermostat, i.e. while … Mine is on all the time, BUT I control it via the thermostat, i.e. while I'm at home I turn it up, usually to between 17-18 ( my thermostat is on the stairs, if you have yours in the living area you'd be better off around 22 as that area will have a higher ambient temperature anyway than my cold hallway ) and when I go out or go to bed turn it down to around 13, that way it doesn't go stone cold so takes less energy to warm up when I need it to :thumbsup:

Tanchi;4339136

im thinking maybe setting the temp down on the thormostat down to about … im thinking maybe setting the temp down on the thormostat down to about 10 during the night, then put it up to 15 for the rest of the day

Even when my heating's off, it doesn't drop below about 17:w00t:

Don't have it on constantly - my friend did that and got a bill for over £440!

We have ours on timer & then just heat the room that we're in when its off with the fire.

shibi din;4340531

Looks like your thread was more successful than mine, Tanchi! … Looks like your thread was more successful than mine, Tanchi! :thumbsup:To all the folks who keep their heating on all day at 15-17, or 21-22, What setting do you have the individual radiators set to? At they on full, or halfway, or down low? Thanks.

my rads are on full downstairs turned halfway down upstairs
    themostate thing on wall is normally on 15 unless it really cold then we turn it up abit

Tanchi;4338801

so would you say its best to leave the heating on 24/7?

I would say it's best left on all day but with the thermostat set to 21 degrees and the radiator thermostats set to half way (3)

However I know that as soon as I return to work in April it will go back onto the timer!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Now TV Passes From Snatch App12
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …214611
      3. Best advert ever to be seen.99
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416614118

See more discussions