Keep Mobile Network Prices Competitive - Sign The Petition @ MakeTheAirFair.org

THIS IS A FUTURE PROOF DEAL! maketheairfair.org/

I hope the HUKD community can see the sense in supporting this petition and keeping competition alive so we can benefit from lower prices.

----------------------------------------------------------------

In 2017, the government will auction more of our nation’s airwaves to the mobile phone networks. That’s the likes of O2, BT/EE, Vodafone and Three in a bidding war for 4G and 5G services.

The problem is that Britain’s mobile coverage is in the dark ages and the average Brit can only access 4G around half the time. That’s one of the reasons why we have such poor reception in rural areas, and why you drop calls on the train from London to Manchester.

Under Ofcom’s current plan for the upcoming auction, we’re in danger of making the situation even worse rather than better.

BT/EE could walk off with nearly 80% of the airwaves, meaning they could easily squeeze out the competition, raise prices and fail to offer a future of great 5G coverage and connectivity across Britain. They already own 42%, a large slice of which they’re not even using.

At maketheairfair.org, we believe healthy competition will always provide consumers with a better mobile phone service.

We want Sharon White, Ofcom CEO, to stand up for consumers and implement a rule which prevents any one network owning more than 30% of our airwaves.

If you agree that sounds sensible, please sign our consultation so your voice is heard.

12 Comments

Original Poster

Fine... dump it in the Misc section where no one will see it and we could all be getting ripped off even more for phone charges this year.
Congrats UKDeals admin... pat yourselves on that back.

I thought there already was a rule, surely they won't allow EE to take such a big share, they prevented three from taking over o2 diddnt they? even thoough three is tiny?

Original Poster

Niz

I thought there already was a rule, surely they won't allow EE to take … I thought there already was a rule, surely they won't allow EE to take such a big share, they prevented three from taking over o2 diddnt they? even thoough three is tiny?

Ofcom has already capped BT – what are you campaigning for?

Ofcom has not capped BT from increasing its spectrum holdings. Far from it – under its current proposals, BT would be able to bid on four fifths of the spectrum which is being auctioned next year. This allows BT to further increase its dominant position and prevent UK consumers from having access to a choice of mobile networks able to offer a fast, reliable service.

Hmm went through the site looks to me like propaganda from BTs MAJOR rivals!! While everything thats being said makes sense, just being sponsored by the rivals with an agenda says something.

Supported by

Three Mobile CITY FIBRE gamma talk talk fcs relish

Propoganda from Three mainly, trying to get spectrum for free basically, instead of paying for it fair and square like the others do.

Original Poster

Niz

Hmm went through the site looks to me like propaganda from BTs MAJOR … Hmm went through the site looks to me like propaganda from BTs MAJOR rivals!! While everything thats being said makes sense, just being sponsored by the rivals with an agenda says something.Supported by Three Mobile CITY FIBRE gamma talk talk fcs relish

dave80

Propoganda from Three mainly, trying to get spectrum for free basically, … Propoganda from Three mainly, trying to get spectrum for free basically, instead of paying for it fair and square like the others do.

Propaganda! BT/EE fanboys?

They are saying they don't want any one company owning more than 30% of the spectrum -- how is that not a good deal for YOU, unless you own shares in BT???
Edited by: "MadeInBeats" 11th Jan

If it were an independent government petition fine, but its one sponsored by the competitors. Same rubbish that talktalk and sky pulled with the whole openreach split thing.

Look i agree with what you're saying but its not as simple as that. Same as when Openreach won all the contracts for FTTC, then the competitors were in uproar that Openreach won pretty much all contracts to supply service. They won it! no one else would stump up the cash!

Original Poster

Niz

If it were an independent government petition fine, but its one sponsored … If it were an independent government petition fine, but its one sponsored by the competitors. Same rubbish that talktalk and sky pulled with the whole openreach split thing.Look i agree with what you're saying but its not as simple as that. Same as when Openreach won all the contracts for FTTC, then the competitors were in uproar that Openreach won pretty much all contracts to supply service. They won it! no one else would stump up the cash!

Winning contracts is a bit different to owning and controlling infrastructure. I don't think it really matters who is raising awareness of this, you need to see past that and look at the bigger picture. They want the law to INCLUDE them not own more than 30% also, not just their competition.

Look at the railways in this country and think on.

Niz

Hmm went through the site looks to me like propaganda from BTs MAJOR … Hmm went through the site looks to me like propaganda from BTs MAJOR rivals!! While everything thats being said makes sense, just being sponsored by the rivals with an agenda says something.Supported by Three Mobile CITY FIBRE gamma talk talk fcs relish

dave80

Propoganda from Three mainly, trying to get spectrum for free basically, … Propoganda from Three mainly, trying to get spectrum for free basically, instead of paying for it fair and square like the others do.

No shares in BT and I use Vodafone.

Three (and O2) chose not to buy enough spectrum, possibly because they thought a merger was on the cards. Now the merger has been disallowed they have to do something or face having badly performing networks with no room for expansion.

If EE was to be capped at 30% of available spectrum and they currently have 42%, then that means EE will have to give up 12%. In the past EE gave up some spectrum, a result of the T-Mobile/Orange merger. Three got that spectrum for free.

They are hoping to do it again. Simple.

Perhaps it's Three who should play fair by bidding for spectrum in the normal manner, rather than trying to obtain it via regulatory pressure?
Edited by: "dave80" 11th Jan

No one should own the airways, it should belong to the government, they can rent it.

Time we stopped selling everything off and actually tried getting sustainable revenue

Niz

If it were an independent government petition fine, but its one sponsored … If it were an independent government petition fine, but its one sponsored by the competitors. Same rubbish that talktalk and sky pulled with the whole openreach split thing.Look i agree with what you're saying but its not as simple as that. Same as when Openreach won all the contracts for FTTC, then the competitors were in uproar that Openreach won pretty much all contracts to supply service. They won it! no one else would stump up the cash!

some times you see a post and just sit there shaking your head, when do the government ever do their own petitions, never, the last referendum we had people started kicking off about it because they didnt get the result they were after. Openreach shows how messed up OFCOM is, everyone except BT said it should be split so the whole country got the benefit but OFCOM said no. What do you want BT taking over the whole of the mobile market, its left to the smaller players including Three to try and put a stop to it. You must work for BT if you want them to continue to monoploise every market they are in. In the end we will end up with one company BT, holding us all to ransom, good on these companies trying to stop it, at least they are trying.

Original Poster

Error440

No one should own the airways, it should belong to the government, they … No one should own the airways, it should belong to the government, they can rent it.Time we stopped selling everything off and actually tried getting sustainable revenue

Sad how radical that sounds now when you say it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767422
    2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2645
    3. One for the mathmeticians1726
    4. word association Game74044569

See more discussions