Groups

Keep mobile number with new contract on same network?

I'm with ee and the contract is due to finish and I have the pac. I have a new ee contract via mobiles.co.uk but I want to keep my phone number which I have had for years. Ee won't allow me to port my number onto this new contract as I didn't extend the existing contract with them. So what is the cheapest and easiest way of doing this?

22 Comments

by contract SIM and use Pac to change number. cancel SIM get Pac code then go to EE. Or phone EE.

What i have just done, and previously is port number to Asda pay as you go, then after a couple of days port it back to EE.

Why won't they allow you to port your number? I did that last year. What has changed?

Suggest you try again and see if a different operator is willing to do this. Also try via online chat so you have the conversation recorded.

Best option is as has been said above already.

I don't ever recall being able to port your number from a PAC code to the same network you are on. It's just one of those things.

Last year did you maybe get your PAC code but in the end renewed your contract/negotiated a deal with your existing network? That's not the same as porting your number to a different contract on the same network. ...

I honestly don't think you've ever been able to do that. ....

Kenp8257

Best option is as has been said above already. I don't ever recall being … Best option is as has been said above already. I don't ever recall being able to port your number from a PAC code to the same network you are on. It's just one of those things. Last year did you maybe get your PAC code but in the end renewed your contract/negotiated a deal with your existing network? That's not the same as porting your number to a different contract on the same network. ...I honestly don't think you've ever been able to do that. ....

I actually ported my number from Orange to a new EE contract using a PAC code. So technically not the same.

Yes and no.

The argument being Orange and EE are different Networks..... hence being able to port your number from one to the other - whilst they were both (T-Mobile and Orange) owned by Deutsche Telecom (now owned by BT) and were renamed EE, Orange was still kept as Orange.

So technically they are different Networks.......

there is a big difference between what they want you to do and what you can do. just phone and threaten to cancel new contract as it's covered by a cooling off period. when they ask why explain that you want to port your number to new contract. the cs rep will probably agree to the transfer then.
    years ago when mobile went digital I was told I couldn't retain my number as it wasn't possible. guess what ? I still have that number now just with an extra zero in the code. !!!

I was told the same thing around 7/8 years ago
    Just get a SIM which require £5 topup port to that sim use a day call n get new pac code

Original Poster

The new sim contract was bought via mobiles.co.uk. I have not extended the existing contract so I was informed that because it is the same network, ee, but different contracts I cannot keep my number unless I port out and then back in again. I'm looking for the cheapest and easiest way of doing this.

Reflective

The new sim contract was bought via mobiles.co.uk. I have not extended … The new sim contract was bought via mobiles.co.uk. I have not extended the existing contract so I was informed that because it is the same network, ee, but different contracts I cannot keep my number unless I port out and then back in again. I'm looking for the cheapest and easiest way of doing this.

yes and everyone on here seems to understand that requirement. so why are you repeating it ?

The simplest way as previously advised is to get a pay as you go sim from other network provider and then port your number to that. Then port it back to EE afterwards. Things may have changed now, but it use to be the case that you could not re- port a number within 30 days. Thus you would have to stay with the new network for 30 days before re -porting.

Reflective

The new sim contract was bought via mobiles.co.uk. I have not extended … The new sim contract was bought via mobiles.co.uk. I have not extended the existing contract so I was informed that because it is the same network, ee, but different contracts I cannot keep my number unless I port out and then back in again. I'm looking for the cheapest and easiest way of doing this.

From my experience this isn't true - you can upgrade a contract from a third party in an EE store and keep your number. I'm not sure who gave you this information.

Maybe OP took a separate EE contract via third party as it was cheaper than renewing via third party or EE direct?

It's impossible to go EE to EE through a third party. I had to port mines to an O2 pay and go but it needs to be activated so costs £10 for minimum top up so maybe a cheaper top up sim just make sure it doesn't use EE's network. O2 then gave me my PAC to go back to EE straight away all in all takes about 3 days going between the networks.

ive just done this ee to ee, via a three payg sim, no topup needed.

Original Poster

Kenp8257

Maybe OP took a separate EE contract via third party as it was cheaper … Maybe OP took a separate EE contract via third party as it was cheaper than renewing via third party or EE direct?

Exactly, getting the new sim via mobiles.co.uk and using the redemption saves a chunk of money

Dipbill

This +1

ndksamb

This +1

​me same just say no signal repeatedly and they don't argue.

Original Poster

Dipbill

I've done this but had to put £5 credit on the sim

Reflective

I've done this but had to put £5 credit on the sim

​it was my other halfs phone, we used the pac code to transfer to the PAYG sim, then just called three for a pac code once it had transferred over, no need for a topup, just had to supply the phone numbers and the PAYG sim number.

Dipbill

​Same here done it a couple of times always use three as they don't require top up. ported in and out within a couple of days usually.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky22
      2. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1721
      3. Why do people scam on Gumtree?44
      4. Xiaomi phones33

See more discussions