Keep your Hot Deal – get a receipt! At Wilko

Posted 11th Feb
It is Wilkinson’s policy to ask if you want a receipt. I rang their Customer Service to ask if Wilko would issue a refund without a receipt and I was told no they would not.

Sainsburys also briefly offer customers a choice of whether they want a receipt or not on their self-scan tills. If you do not notice the message because you are packing a bag the option disappears off the screen and you have no receipt. I have bought clothes and have still been asked if I want a receipt.

It appears that some shops have a policy, under the guise of being ‘green’, to encourage customers to decline a receipt, meaning that if they change their minds, or buy faulty goods they are unable to get a refund.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I always get a receipt, as last thing I want to do is walk out of the shop and the alarm goes off as forgot to take off the tags - I'm not sure what they would do if you don't have a receipt.
17 Comments
I always get a receipt, as last thing I want to do is walk out of the shop and the alarm goes off as forgot to take off the tags - I'm not sure what they would do if you don't have a receipt.
Always a good idea to get a receipt but if the item is faulty you don’t need a receipt to get a refund according to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - just a proof of purchase such as bank statement if you paid by card.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 11th Feb
I always get receipts since I get paid for them.
I was in wilko few days ago and the checkout assistant asked if i wanted a receipt it came up in the till screen for them to push yes or no. So im guessing, yes its now their policy.
Uniqlo give you the option of having the receipt emailed to you from the till. You would think that the retailer and Apple/Google Pay they would be able to offer this
Edited by: "OllieSt" 11th Feb
compmad111/02/2020 19:07

...It appears that some shops have a policy, under the guise of being …...It appears that some shops have a policy, under the guise of being ‘green’, to encourage customers to decline a receipt, meaning that if they change their minds, or buy faulty goods they are unable to get a refund.

You may be confusing store policy (change of mind) with consumer legislation (faulty goods). Example: consumer regs states madatory "right-to-reject" faulty goods for refund only exists for 30 days post purchase. Proof of payment is usually sufficient for faulty / unsatis quality / NAD / longevity issues (aka SAD FART), although I wouldn't bother digging out a receipt nor card / bank statement if Sainsburys sold me an apple disguised as a pear. All card transactions have an ID regardless of receipt issue or not and the retailer will have a record of content for minimum one year (unless regs have semi-recently changed). Co-mingling groceries and goods may require some patience to separate items but only non-electronic transactions would be questionable, and no doubt some consumers will (ab)use that to their benefit.
If a store says you "need a receipt" for non-SAD FART in-store purchase refunds then you simply will need a receipt.
Same as Morrisons self check outs. Beware
OllieSt11/02/2020 20:53

Uniqlo give you the option of having the receipt emailed to you from the …Uniqlo give you the option of having the receipt emailed to you from the till. You would think that the retailer and Apple/Google Pay they would be able to offer this

Dunelm too
Co op also does this, a 10 second timer on the self service tills.
If I was a cynical person I'd say they were using this "green" thing as an excuse and their real reason is to reduce the ability/amount of refunds.

If they wanted to prove me wrong they should offer a virtual receipt on screen and allow you to screenshot it and use it as your e-receipt.
Never keep receipts (ok, I mean I always lose them) but I've always been able to return faulty items by showing the transaction on my bank statement - just on my mobile so no effort required.
Waitrose ask if you want a receipt. This is at the manned checkouts not self serve.
OllieSt11/02/2020 20:53

Uniqlo give you the option of having the receipt emailed to you from the …Uniqlo give you the option of having the receipt emailed to you from the till. You would think that the retailer and Apple/Google Pay they would be able to offer this

Toolstation and Screwfix do this too. While it does mean you have to give them an email address, it certainly reduces any problems with paper receipts (and helps the environment too).
slimy3112/02/2020 07:02

Toolstation and Screwfix do this too. While it does mean you have to give …Toolstation and Screwfix do this too. While it does mean you have to give them an email address, it certainly reduces any problems with paper receipts (and helps the environment too).

I don't know about toolstation but Screwfix is a silly comparison. You can't buy anything from them without them allocating the order to a specific account with you so of course you won't need a receipt to return anything.
MadeDixonsCry12/02/2020 08:04

I don't know about toolstation but Screwfix is a silly comparison. You …I don't know about toolstation but Screwfix is a silly comparison. You can't buy anything from them without them allocating the order to a specific account with you so of course you won't need a receipt to return anything.

Toolstation is the same as Screwfix. And why is it a silly comparison? If other shops did the same we wouldn't need to bother with paper receipts. I would be ok with setting up an 'account' with Sainsbury's, in fact you could say I already have one as I have a loyalty card. If my purchase history was tied to my loyalty card, then returns become much easier.
slimy3112/02/2020 08:22

Toolstation is the same as Screwfix. And why is it a silly comparison? If …Toolstation is the same as Screwfix. And why is it a silly comparison? If other shops did the same we wouldn't need to bother with paper receipts. I would be ok with setting up an 'account' with Sainsbury's, in fact you could say I already have one as I have a loyalty card. If my purchase history was tied to my loyalty card, then returns become much easier.

The post you quoted stated why it's a silly comparison.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 12th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants