Groups

keep your postman in a job

what do you do with all your spam letters. if they give you a prepaid return evenlope do you return all in marketing back to them. keep all info with your information and post back the rest. thus the royal mail will return deliver at sender's cost. this will increase postmens workload and could keep or increase manpower levels. I'm not a postman...

50 Comments

no it won't, they're shedding staff,they have been since privatisation.more workload and a fight to get paid for it.

No I throw them straight in the recycle bin oO But I do order off eBay so that keeps my postman working

A postman doesn't get paid per letter you know.
    If he/she delivers one letter per day to a business or a thousand, he/she won't get paid any extra.

stuarthanley

A postman doesn't get paid per letter you know. If he/she delivers one … A postman doesn't get paid per letter you know. If he/she delivers one letter per day to a business or a thousand, he/she won't get paid any extra.

Should imagine there paid by the hour, more post, longer shift, more pay.

POWYSWALES

It takes the same amount of time to deliver 1000 letters to one address as it does to deliver 1 letter so no, it wouldn't be longer hours.

POWYSWALES

does it take longer to stick 2 letters in a slot than 1?
    in general i'm guessing they get a bigger bag and told to get on with it!
    Christmas etc a different matter

stuarthanley

It takes the same amount of time to deliver 1000 letters to one address … It takes the same amount of time to deliver 1000 letters to one address as it does to deliver 1 letter so no, it wouldn't be longer hours.

what size are postboxes round your way? X)

I hate junk mail Its pushed through the front door and 12 footsteps to the back door to put in recycling bin (_;)
    I have a good postman who is always cheery

summerof76

I hate junk mail Its pushed through the front door and 12 footsteps to … I hate junk mail Its pushed through the front door and 12 footsteps to the back door to put in recycling bin (_;)I have a good postman who is always cheery

Your lucky. My postman is a miserable git. We once had an argument cos I told him the porch was open so he could leave it there without having to wait for me as it didn't need a signature.

Saying that the postman at work is so cheerful so I guess it really does just depend who you get.

pookey1

Your lucky. My postman is a miserable git. We once had an argument cos I … Your lucky. My postman is a miserable git. We once had an argument cos I told him the porch was open so he could leave it there without having to wait for me as it didn't need a signature. Saying that the postman at work is so cheerful so I guess it really does just depend who you get.

That could well be me then

stuarthanley

Do you always ring twice though X)

summerof76

I hate junk mail Its pushed through the front door and 12 footsteps to … I hate junk mail Its pushed through the front door and 12 footsteps to the back door to put in recycling bin (_;)I have a good postman who is always cheery

I keep mine by the front door
    technically you are not supposed to recycle paper in it but I do anyway

summerof76

Do you always ring twice though X)

Ring once, knock once

One of the dumbest OPs I've seen on here. To suggest that Spam mail is keeping postmen/women in jobs is utterly absurd.

Original Poster

great post peeej.....

I reuse the paper to make shopping lists and notes....:D

stuarthanley

Wait the grumpy git or the cheerful chap? Lol

BagABargain78

One of the dumbest OPs I've seen on here. To suggest that Spam mail is … One of the dumbest OPs I've seen on here. To suggest that Spam mail is keeping postmen/women in jobs is utterly absurd.

Maybe another arguement;
    If everyone did this with spam mail maybe we would eventually see less of it as it would cost these companies money

pookey1

Maybe another arguement;If everyone did this with spam mail maybe we … Maybe another arguement;If everyone did this with spam mail maybe we would eventually see less of it as it would cost these companies money

The postage is prepaid. It'll cost them not a penny more.

the posties around my workplace are fantastic! we play "guess the junk mail" ads he is paid "no extra" for on a Wednesday.. Iceland, Virgin and Krispy creme are the usual suspects! look after your postie and he/she will do their best to keep your packets "upright " "fragile" and unbent

As a postie and in summer (warm/hot weather not the HUKD member) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays were light days I could sprint, jog, jump hedges etc and complete my day by 11am or 12. Friday, Saturday and Monday were heavy days and I'd push to include the mail shots (all those adverts you hate) and it'd be a hard, heavy day - probably 8 of those shoulder bags (22kg I think) and at that time you couldn't have one of those wheeled bag carriers you see nowadays.
    Worst time to be a postie is when it's p***ing it down because the bags would get heavier with all that rain/damp and people would moan about getting wet mail

To add to OP's thread description - most junk mail returned is just incinerated. Only a small amount of "rejected/returned" mail is actually sent back to it's original sender.

summerof76

Only 12 footsteps to the back door? You're lucky, it takes mutters an hour and a half to walk to his back door.

deeky

Only 12 footsteps to the back door? You're lucky, it takes mutters an … Only 12 footsteps to the back door? You're lucky, it takes mutters an hour and a half to walk to his back door.

his butler does that dont be silly

BagABargain78

Oh I never knew this. I thought they just get charged if its used. I guess I've never actually given it much thought

BagABargain78

You are wrong actually. You only pay for the actual post that is sent back to you rather than buying all the postage costs up-front

I throw it in the recycle bin. You dont want to encourage more spam mail by returning anything.

philphil61

As a postie and in summer (warm/hot weather not the HUKD member) Tuesday, … As a postie and in summer (warm/hot weather not the HUKD member) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays were light days I could sprint, jog, jump hedges etc and complete my day by 11am or 12. Friday, Saturday and Monday were heavy days and I'd push to include the mail shots (all those adverts you hate) and it'd be a hard, heavy day - probably 8 of those shoulder bags (22kg I think) and at that time you couldn't have one of those wheeled bag carriers you see nowadays.Worst time to be a postie is when it's p***ing it down because the bags would get heavier with all that rain/damp and people would moan about getting wet mailTo add to OP's thread description - most junk mail returned is just incinerated. Only a small amount of "rejected/returned" mail is actually sent back to it's original sender.

if it has a free post returns envelope , you could send that back empty , I don't know if it'll do any good or who it would annoy the most.
    With cold callers I normally ask them to wait a minute and I leave the phone off hook for a few minutes.

BagABargain78

One of the dumbest OPs I've seen on here. To suggest that Spam mail is … One of the dumbest OPs I've seen on here. To suggest that Spam mail is keeping postmen/women in jobs is utterly absurd.

It's a pointless, ill-informed OP. Do you really believe that us sending junk mail back is going to keep a single postman/woman in a job? Read the other replies. It ain't gonna happen.

BagABargain78

It's a pointless, ill-informed OP. Do you really believe that us sending … It's a pointless, ill-informed OP. Do you really believe that us sending junk mail back is going to keep a single postman/woman in a job? Read the other replies. It ain't gonna happen.

They do actually have a point. Any returns envelopes don't get paid for until they are used, so if you use them then the Royal mail get more money and if everyone did it they would need more staff or at least keep staffing levels the same.

Banned

luckily these post men live local otherwise they would be knocking on doors because they need toilet

I wish they could knock on doors twice, instead of once .

It's simply not as linear as that. Artificially creating more junk mail to keep postmen in a Job is complete fantasy. Even if everyone did start doing what the op suggested, how long before the spam mail companies realised what was happening and ceased due to the sudden increase in cost to them? A couple months at best. It's never gonna happen. It's fantasy.

BagABargain78

It's simply not as linear as that. Artificially creating more junk mail … It's simply not as linear as that. Artificially creating more junk mail to keep postmen in a Job is complete fantasy. Even if everyone did start doing what the op suggested, how long before the spam mail companies realised what was happening and ceased due to the sudden increase in cost to them? A couple months at best. It's never gonna happen. It's fantasy.

Wouldn't that be a good thing?

deeky

You can opt out anyway deeky
    stopjunkmail.org.uk/gui…out

I still get it because I do the mail survey

thewongwing101

You can opt out anyway … You can opt out anyway deekyhttps://stopjunkmail.org.uk/guide/door-to-door-opt-outI still get it because I do the mail survey

I dont get much tbh, but I can imagine that being like the tps, ie, a waste of time.

deeky

Sure, but it doesn't satisfy the aim of the OP which is to keep the postmen in jobs.

deeky

I dont get much tbh, but I can imagine that being like the tps, ie, a … I dont get much tbh, but I can imagine that being like the tps, ie, a waste of time.

No done it before really works

thewongwing101

You can opt out anyway … You can opt out anyway deekyhttps://stopjunkmail.org.uk/guide/door-to-door-opt-outI still get it because I do the mail survey

Going to try that

13norfolk

Going to try that

only works on unaddressed stuff
    direct link
    personal.help.royalmail.com/app…293
    might be thread worthy
    I seem to be getting some addressed things these days selling credit cards
    must have forgotten to untick some box

deeky

I dont get much tbh, but I can imagine that being like the tps, ie, a … I dont get much tbh, but I can imagine that being like the tps, ie, a waste of time.

I solved the problem of spam calls
    my phone line doesn't work X)

Why not mix the spam letters into different return envelopes? You could now spam the spammers with offers too good to miss.

sofiasar

luckily these post men live local otherwise they would be knocking on … luckily these post men live local otherwise they would be knocking on doors because they need toilet ;)I wish they could knock on doors twice, instead of once .

I also wish people would answer their door after I've knocked or fix their doorbells so they work but you cant have everything.

And... Live local? Toilet? Waffle.....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?11
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2957
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764181
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846148

See more discussions