Groups

Keeping chickens

Looking at keeping a couple chickens...

Howeasy are they to look after?

Should i get a ferret aswell to keep rats away?

Thanks

28 Comments

Surely the ferret is likely to kill the chickens?

Banned

brdyboy keeps chcks, he has a thread somewhere, will see if i can find, maybe a helpful read

My sister keeps chickens, she rescued battery hens......within a few months they went from this

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/bitseylango/n738798123_839583_4793.jpg

to this

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/bitseylango/n738798123_839587_6090.jpg

Lucky ferret - rats and chickens to eat!

I keep chickens and once you've got your chuck house and pen sorted, they are just as easy to keep as rabbits, but with one great plus - FRESH EGGS EVERY DAY!!

You need to decide how many chickens you want, but need to decide how much of your garden you can give them. Don't say all the garden because within a week or so you'll have no grass left!!

Mine have got a 16 foot by 16 foot pen with a 4 foot by 4 foot house, but also an aditional 16 foot by 16 foot run (play area) for them to run about on.

I'll dig some pics out.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr10/StockportSteve/2.jpg

The photo was taken last year. Since then the run has changed to a proper fence with gate. We've got 6 birds, which give us between 4-6 good sized eggs per day.

Food wise, I feed mine on Organic layers pellets and mixed corn. Plenty of grass from the garden and as a treat twice a week I buy them cauliflower and hang it up in the pen so they have to jump for it. Always make sure they've got lots of water on hand too.

Easy as that!!

Original Poster

erret will be kept in a seperate hutch, apparently the smell is enough to put rats off.

Original Poster

sassie;5269538

here ya go http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/154963/chickens/

Cheers.

stefor;5269606

I keep chickens and once you've got your chuck house and pen sorted, they … I keep chickens and once you've got your chuck house and pen sorted, they are just as easy to keep as rabbits, but with one great plus - FRESH EGGS EVERY DAY!!You need to decide how many chickens you want, but need to decide how much of your garden you can give them. Don't say all the garden because within a week or so you'll have no grass left!!Mine have got a 16 foot by 16 foot pen with a 4 foot by 4 foot house, but also an aditional 16 foot by 16 foot run (play area) for them to run about on.I'll dig some pics out.

But the eggs come from the same hole they poo

Banned

stefor;5269606

I keep chickens and once you've got your chuck house and pen sorted, they … I keep chickens and once you've got your chuck house and pen sorted, they are just as easy to keep as rabbits, but with one great plus - FRESH EGGS EVERY DAY!!You need to decide how many chickens you want, but need to decide how much of your garden you can give them. Don't say all the garden because within a week or so you'll have no grass left!!Mine have got a 16 foot by 16 foot pen with a 4 foot by 4 foot house, but also an aditional 16 foot by 16 foot run (play area) for them to run about on.I'll dig some pics out.

oh wow, wish i had a bigger garden :oops:

will keep me eye out for your pics

Banned

better with a shotgun to keep the foxes away

dean3988;5269635

That's no problem, I asked them if they could sick them up for me instead, but they wouldn't:thumbsup:

My birds more than pay for themselves because they produce more eggs than we eat, so I sell to neighbours for £1.50 a dozen.

dean3988;5269635

Generally people don't eat the outer coating though.

dean3988;5269635

You know what eggs are yea? It's a hens period...

Original Poster

would like 2 chickens.

how big of a hutch?

vengod;5270208

would like 2 chickens.how big of a hutch?

If you're only after a couple of birds then the Eglu is the perfect coop to have. It's made of the same plastic as Little Tike kids garden toys and you can just jetwash them clean. Here's a photo of one:

http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/4a/26/573a_1.GIF

The web address is omlet.co.uk/hom…php . You can sometimes get them off eBay but they fetch really good prices second hand, so sometimes better having one delivered by the manufacturers, who'll set it up, tell you what to do and you get a couple of chickens with it as well!!

Here's the deal off the Eglu site including 2 chickens, food, delivery and lessons on keeping them:
    http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr10/StockportSteve/Image1-5.jpg

Original Poster

Bit out of my price range...

Im looking to spend around £30 - upto £50.

Only want 2 in the garden. Can get chickens for £1 a pop

Chickens only really need the coop to sleep, shelter and lay. You could easily build something or go to a garden center and get a largish rabbit hutch. If you go the rabbit hutch method, get one atleast a couple of foot tall because you're going to have to put a perch in for them to sleep, blank out the door and build a pop hole for them to get in and out.

Raise it off the floor helps a little to stop mice and rats.

Look on eBay, there's one going at the moment for £51 with 4 hours to go ( eBay No. 250424157058 ). I've seen coops like this going for only £50-£80 in the past and if you live near them, you can save on delivery.

Good Luck!!

Original Poster

Will have a look around for a large rabbit hutch...going to bootsale tomorrow and garden centre Friday/Saturday.

Don;t forget you need a license to keep chickens!!

Or is that just commercial??? Hmm, I could be talking non-sense.

Practical Poultry (magazine)

Original Poster

Thanks for the help

Do you need a license?

vengod;5270401

Bit out of my price range...Im looking to spend around £30 - upto £50. O … Bit out of my price range...Im looking to spend around £30 - upto £50. Only want 2 in the garden. Can get chickens for £1 a pop

A few doors up have got chickens recently,I heard them 1 morning and thought I was hearing things and was asleep or something.
    If you were to get a few then the money you would save in eggs,they soon pay for themselves for what it's cost to house them.

Banned

what if you don't like eggs

Banned

dog_cop;5271927

what if you don't like eggs

spit roast em same as pigs:thumbsup:

No licence needed, but if you live inner city, then you'll need to contact the counsel to notify them and have a word with your neighbours. My counsel office were actually pleased that I was thinking of doing it and sent a guy round, not to tell me what to do, but to ask me questions and just to see the setup. The neighbours were chuffed and let their kids come round and see them.

Also like I said before, mine produce more eggs than we eat, so all the spares I sell to the neighbours for £1.50 a dozen, so they pay for themselves and everyones happy!!

The forum I use for chatting to like minded people is poultrychat.com/vb/ . Great, helpful community.

Go on, get some, you know you want to :-D

If you get fed up, you can always sell the coop and eat the birds:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Instead of having a Hutch im looking at cornerin a piece of garden off.

Id have a smaller hutch inside where they could maybe lay? Or can they just live without a hutch, and just have a dry place?

Will probably take a couple of weeks to get the place sorted.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Buy back on Euros to £££34
      2. Iphone 7 - What Case?59
      3. Samsung or Hisense11
      4. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?22

See more discussions