Groups

kennel cough

hi i was just wondering if anyone with dogs if they are advised by their vet to give their dogs the kennel cough injection im asking this because my vet has always said the injection is mostly needed if the pets going into kennels, my poor dog has had me up since 4 oclock yesterday morning by a really horrible cough that makes it hard for him to breath rushing him to the vets yesterday i have been told he has caught kennel cough, he is a little bit better today since starting the antibiotics and cough syrup plus of course injections (cost a fortune but as long as his recoving i dont mind bless him)

vet advised me that he had probably caught the infection from down the park where we take him every day, now we have got to keep him confined from other dogs not easy when we have a pup thats 5 months we have just got to watch out for the signs in the pup (fingers crossed pup dont catch it now)

no more christmas shopping for me for a few days lol

14 Comments

Ah you poor thing , hugs for doggy, My dogs only have their annual boosters not even sure what that covers, hope he feels better soon

Aww feel for you, its hard. When I got mine from the kennels she had a cough too, 4 weeks of antibiotics and me having to wipe the snot from her nose got her better. Just keep her warm when inside, keep her fit by taking her on short walks.

As long as she is under the vets she will be ok, you may need to have another dose of antibiotics yet though, first 10 days did nothing for my babes. Keep her away from other dogs for the time being too.

I would highly recommend having yearly jabs, they are expensive, but pay for themselves in the long run

Original Poster

surfbunny;7103155

Ah you poor thing , hugs for doggy, My dogs only have their annual … Ah you poor thing , hugs for doggy, My dogs only have their annual boosters not even sure what that covers, hope he feels better soon

thank you same here mines always had yearly booster vets never advised on kennel cough :thumbsup:

Original Poster

loll1es;7103180

Aww feel for you, its hard. When I got mine from the kennels she had a … Aww feel for you, its hard. When I got mine from the kennels she had a cough too, 4 weeks of antibiotics and me having to wipe the snot from her nose got her better. Just keep her warm when inside, keep her fit by taking her on short walks. As long as she is under the vets she will be ok, you may need to have another dose of antibiotics yet though, first 10 days did nothing for my babes. Keep her away from other dogs for the time being too.I would highly recommend having yearly jabs, they are expensive, but pay for themselves in the long run

have been advised to keep him in no walks but he is a yorkie and his really suffering when he has coughing fit it knocks him of his feet, im sure he will be fine he is so much better today he can lie down and get some sleep.
    i dont mind the expense of the jabs but have never been advised about the kennel cough unless their were going into kennels but thank you for your advise

Get ours done every year, think it's about £20.

Drops up the nose !

I puppy-walk guide dog puppies for the blind. These dogs get the best of everything...anything they need regardless of cost. They do NOT vaccinate their dogs against kennel cough.
    PS...awaiting my new puppy at the end of dec ...can't wait

Original Poster

karagh;7104739

I puppy-walk guide dog puppies for the blind. These dogs get the best of … I puppy-walk guide dog puppies for the blind. These dogs get the best of everything...anything they need regardless of cost. They do NOT vaccinate their dogs against kennel cough. PS...awaiting my new puppy at the end of dec ...can't wait

wow a new puppy have fun

ChrisUK;7103515

Get ours done every year, think it's about £20.Drops up the nose !

diddo... never had an injection to protect against kennel cough xxx

..........neither has my dog

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;7105821

diddo... never had an injection to protect against kennel cough … diddo... never had an injection to protect against kennel cough xxx..........neither has my dog

lol you made my laugh thank you :thumbsup:

My dog caught kennel cough when he was at Center Parcs although that was the only time he had it in 13 years. They had been warning there was an outbreak up here locally but as our dog was on a lot of medication we were advised against him getting the vaccination.

John

Original Poster

ChrisUK;7103515

Get ours done every year, think it's about £20.Drops up the nose !

i have asked my vet but as i have said he said it werent needed unless he was going in kennels (i was wondering if there was a outbreak here because all the years i have owned dogs none of them have ever caught it) but i think i will get them done once he has recovered because its not nice hearing him coughing his guts up and his looking sorry for his-self perhaps its dog flu lol

Our Staffie had a cough when we bought her as a puppy.. the vet gave me antibiotic tablets to feed her, and I would sneak them into a bit of sausage ( had to be summin yum as she eats daintily and wouldn't wolf it down, just spat out the capsule! )

Hope your pooch gets better soon xxx

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;7107421

Our Staffie had a cough when we bought her as a puppy.. the vet gave me … Our Staffie had a cough when we bought her as a puppy.. the vet gave me antibiotic tablets to feed her, and I would sneak them into a bit of sausage ( had to be summin yum as she eats daintily and wouldn't wolf it down, just spat out the capsule! )Hope your pooch gets better soon xxx

thank you im sure he will his dressed in his little crimbo jumper to keep him warm and wrapped up in a fleece blanket looking sorry for his self lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710954
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would917
      3. What would be HELL to you?2944
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7171351

See more discussions