Kenwood KDW45x16 Dishwasher woes

Posted 12th Jan 2019
Just plugged this in, added 1L of water to the salt compartment as it says on the stick and about 500g of salt. It reciprocated by pouring salt and water all over my floor soaking my new kitchen. Luckly the kitchen units are on feet so the boards are ok but I'm not ok with this. Is this normal behaviour for Dishwashers as they are the devils kitchen appliance and for the amount I paid for it I'm tempted to set it on fire and send it back to the hell that spawned it
Community Updates
Misc
24 Comments
So the machine just flooded as soon as you poured the water into the container or did you turn it on. I have had some where on delievery the salt container pot cracks and can leak?
I think so, it started loading up with water and then E4 error and I was paddling in water. Should of paid the extra to have them install it and it would of probably been on the waggon home now. Going to get my money back and swap brands as Currys DSG crap isn't what I would expect for the £240 odd I paid for it.

Reading reviews I'm not the only one this has happened to, high water pressure area though so I might of just blown the seals on the little bugger.
kester761 h, 11 m ago

I think so, it started loading up with water and then E4 error and I was …I think so, it started loading up with water and then E4 error and I was paddling in water. Should of paid the extra to have them install it and it would of probably been on the waggon home now. Going to get my money back and swap brands as Currys DSG crap isn't what I would expect for the £240 odd I paid for it.Reading reviews I'm not the only one this has happened to, high water pressure area though so I might of just blown the seals on the little bugger.

Yeah must be an intetnal leak somewhere. Thats not normal. As you said refund is needed
deleted1080215
Bosch!
deleted1080215
kester7612/01/2019 20:30

Probably will but theyre nearly twice the price

Bosch £299

Plus if you are a new customer you can get discount on first order. This varies so Google to see how much at present - up to 20%at times.
deleted108021512/01/2019 21:20

Bosch £299Plus if you are a new customer you can get discount on first …Bosch £299Plus if you are a new customer you can get discount on first order. This varies so Google to see how much at present - up to 20%at times.

thanks, the discount would be nice
this is the one my our half is looking at Link
deleted1080215
kester7612/01/2019 22:18

thanks, the discount would be nice this is the one my our half is …thanks, the discount would be nice this is the one my our half is looking at Link

Nice. We've had our Bosch for over 9 years now. Only ever had one error, a water code, come up. I Googled it, took the side off, removed the water matrix (a paix panel with tubes running through it) flushed it through and reassembled. Ten minutes, easy job and done. No problems since.
Also, it's a lovely comforting sound it makes. A thrumming noise, not loud just comforting. I will cry when it does finally give up.
deleted108021512/01/2019 23:12

Nice. We've had our Bosch for over 9 years now. Only ever had one error, a …Nice. We've had our Bosch for over 9 years now. Only ever had one error, a water code, come up. I Googled it, took the side off, removed the water matrix (a paix panel with tubes running through it) flushed it through and reassembled. Ten minutes, easy job and done. No problems since.Also, it's a lovely comforting sound it makes. A thrumming noise, not loud just comforting. I will cry when it does finally give up.

Probably end up going for a bosch as a new kitchen is more expensive and I've little trust in the kenwood brand now.
kester7612/01/2019 22:18

thanks, the discount would be nice this is the one my our half is …thanks, the discount would be nice this is the one my our half is looking at Link

That's a slimline model (45cm width) not 60cm
kester7612/01/2019 23:15

Probably end up going for a bosch as a new kitchen is more expensive and …Probably end up going for a bosch as a new kitchen is more expensive and I've little trust in the kenwood brand now.

Kenwood are fine with eggs and flour, for everything else.
I’ll second the Bosch recommendation. Mine has had one problem in 6 years, it thought it was flooded so the motor kept running to dry it out. Normally a stuck switch or if there is a leak and nice precaution to prevent actual flooding.
OllieSt13/01/2019 07:02

That's a slimline model (45cm width) not 60cm

Yeah, I need a slimline model as my kitchen is the size of most peoples box room.
Recently I purchased our third Kenwood dishwasher. The first two both lasted for about 5 years each and took lots of abuse hence we bought another one from Currys. What a disaster, and Currys offer of compensation is non existent. To cut a long story short, reject the goods, and buy a Bosch from John Lewis.
hubcms13/01/2019 09:08

Recently I purchased our third Kenwood dishwasher. The first two both …Recently I purchased our third Kenwood dishwasher. The first two both lasted for about 5 years each and took lots of abuse hence we bought another one from Currys. What a disaster, and Currys offer of compensation is non existent. To cut a long story short, reject the goods, and buy a Bosch from John Lewis.

Just 5 years! That's terrible, I'm on my second Bosch manufactured dishwasher in about 37 years. My first dishwasher lasted about 17 years and was still working when I gave it away as the racks were going rusty, my current Bosch is 20 years old.
Oneday7713/01/2019 08:42

Kenwood are fine with eggs and flour, for everything else. I’ll s …Kenwood are fine with eggs and flour, for everything else. I’ll second the Bosch recommendation. Mine has had one problem in 6 years, it thought it was flooded so the motor kept running to dry it out. Normally a stuck switch or if there is a leak and nice precaution to prevent actual flooding.

Well, that will be because Kenwood blenders are made by De'Longhi, who own the brand, other white "Kenwood" goods are made by whatever cheap manufacturer Dixons (Currys) choose.

Dixons licenced the Kenwood brand name to put on their own white goods, presumably to boost what they can charge for the things.
Edited by: "melted" 13th Jan 2019
melted4 m ago

Well, that will be because Kenwood blenders are made by De'Longhi, who own …Well, that will be because Kenwood blenders are made by De'Longhi, who own the brand, other white "Kenwood" goods are made by whatever cheap manufacturer Dixons (Currys) choose. Dixons licenced the Kenwood brand name to put on their own white goods, presumably to boost what they can charge for the things.

Just like Sports Direct and most other retailers do.
melted13/01/2019 11:00

Just 5 years! That's terrible, I'm on my second Bosch manufactured …Just 5 years! That's terrible, I'm on my second Bosch manufactured dishwasher in about 37 years. My first dishwasher lasted about 17 years and was still working when I gave it away as the racks were going rusty, my current Bosch is 20 years old.

To be fair they were the cheapest integrated dishwashers I could find at the time. We used them on average 2 times a day possibly more, and never pre rinse anything in the sink. They may have even had simple faults to fix, but by the time you added Labour into the cost of repair I just felt maybe it was time to buy another. Now if we are playing dishwasher Top Trumps my Aunty had a Bendix for over 35 years, however when new was probably about 4 months wages. I guess my point is everything is relative.
hubcms37 m ago

To be fair they were the cheapest integrated dishwashers I could find at …To be fair they were the cheapest integrated dishwashers I could find at the time. We used them on average 2 times a day possibly more, and never pre rinse anything in the sink. They may have even had simple faults to fix, but by the time you added Labour into the cost of repair I just felt maybe it was time to buy another. Now if we are playing dishwasher Top Trumps my Aunty had a Bendix for over 35 years, however when new was probably about 4 months wages. I guess my point is everything is relative.

I had a look at the dishwashers in Currys a couple of years ago when I was thinking about replacing mine as I thought the softener had failed, but it turned out was just the cheap dishwasher tablets I bought. Kenwood looked the worst designed, and poor quality although admittedly it is hard to tell without owning one or taking them apart.

And I'm not trying to play dishwasher top trumps, just pointing out 5 years is really lousy for an appliance like a dishwasher that has very little to go wrong, the pumps are induction motors, which are virtually bomb proof.

The problems I've had with mine are rust on the baskets where pots and pans have scraped through the plastic, and the first had a seal fail due to shrinking and being attacked by a liquid dishwasher detergent, in those days the seals were made out of rubber, and I've never used a liquid again.

My first dishwasher was about £300, and the second about £350. If the baskets had been made of stainless steel, I'd probably still have my original.
Edited by: "melted" 13th Jan 2019
Just keep in mind these new bosch dishwashers use heat pumps which fail often its not like how they used do when they had a good old circ pump with seperate heater which never failed.
If it flooded only after adding water/salt to the salt compartment, and it didn't just overflow out the front of the machine when the salt displaced some of the water, it could be a loose hose could or a crack in the salt water reservoir, or there springs to mind a flimsy cap that goes on part of the pump that comes off with worryingly little force. E4 means water has made it to the polystyrene float sensor at the very bottom of the machine. There's a flimsy panel which houses the sensor that clips off the bottom, this panel also reveals the pump and motor etc, you'd need to look there if you want to know where exactly the leak is coming from. Whichever way water leaks from the washer it ends up in that sensor by design.
My Kenwood was leaking everywhere when a wash is on because of the seal perishing (I think) this is the first problem in 3 years of ownership but it is a PITA and the seal is £20.
spaceinvader10 m ago

If it flooded only after adding water/salt to the salt compartment, and it …If it flooded only after adding water/salt to the salt compartment, and it didn't just overflow out the front of the machine when the salt displaced some of the water, it could be a loose hose could or a crack in the salt water reservoir, or there springs to mind a flimsy cap that goes on part of the pump that comes off with worryingly little force. E4 means water has made it to the polystyrene float sensor at the very bottom of the machine. There's a flimsy panel which houses the sensor that clips off the bottom, this panel also reveals the pump and motor etc, you'd need to look there if you want to know where exactly the leak is coming from. Whichever way water leaks from the washer it ends up in that sensor by design. My Kenwood was leaking everywhere when a wash is on because of the seal perishing (I think) this is the first problem in 3 years of ownership but it is a PITA and the seal is £20.

I just don't like it taking on more water just to pour it back out. Plus the crackling electricity noises coming from the rear. It failed on it maiden voyage so it's off back to currys on monday. Could be a blockage due to salt or just bad luck, set alarm bells off as the sticker inside says 1L of water whilst the manual say 500ml.
Which Don't Buy Dishwashers...

Zanussi ZDM17301WA
Bosch SPV40C00GB
Beko DIS15010
Smeg DF613PX
Smeg DF614PTX
White Knight DW0945IA
Beko DFN16210B
Smeg DI613PNH
Smeg DF4SS-1
Smeg DI6FABCR
Which Cheapest Best Buy Dishwashers...

Kenwood KID60S18
75%
TYPICAL PRICE
£249.00

Our verdict
Great at cleaning, good at drying, doesn't leave watermarks, eco program is...
Auto program isn't efficient with energy and water, controls are confusing at first, noisy
Fully integrated
82x60x55
Full-sized
Our verdict on Kenwood KID60S18
If you're shopping for a cheap integrated dishwasher, this Kenwood is a great option. It cleans well and dries without leaving any watermarks. Its few minor niggles mean it isn't perfect, but it's still a worthy Best Buy.

Belling BEL IDW45
70%
LOWEST PRICE (IN STOCK)
£293.98

Our verdict
Great at cleaning and drying plates, good at drying plastics, low energy use if switched to...
Noisy, cutlery was left smattered with food, tricky to load and unload
Fully integrated
81.5x45x55
Slimline
Our verdict on Belling BEL IDW45
This is still one of the highest-scoring slimline, fully integrated dishwashers we've tested. It isn't the easiest to use or the quietest, but it gets the basics of cleaning and drying right without using too much energy or water.

Caple DI481
68%
LOWEST PRICE (IN STOCK)
£379.00

Our verdict
Brilliant cleaning, excellent drying - even plastics are dried well, doesn't leave...
Difficult to fit some items in, noisy
Fully integrated
81.5x45x54.7
Slimline

Our verdict on Caple DI481
This slimline dishwasher cleans brilliantly and everything comes out spotless. Dishes are left dry enough to go straight into the cupboard without using a tea towel, and you won't find any watermarks either. It's a Best Buy.

Belling FDW150W
78%
LOWEST PRICE (IN STOCK)
£389.00

Our verdict
Fantastic cleaning and drying - even plastics are dried well, doesn't leave watermarks,...
Noisy during testing
Freestanding
84.5x59.8x59.5
Full-sized

Our verdict on Belling FDW150W
We were really impressed with this dishwasher. It sailed through our tough dishwashing tests to leave everything spotless and bone dry. It's extremely energy and water efficient too, and with so many plus points it's clear why it deserves our Best Buy label.

Bosch SMS25EI00G/01
76%
TYPICAL PRICE
£390.00

Our verdict
Great at cleaning and drying crockery and cutlery, easy to program, simple to load and...
Noisy, program duration is on the long side

Freestanding
84.5x60x62
Full-sized
just recently replaced my integrated beko that failed at about 5yrs, appears the wiring loom was breaking up at the base of the door,
have they changed the standard size the old one was a bout 87cm high the new one a currys "basics" model is only 82cm?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants