kerb lowering

Found 29th Mar 2017
anyone got any idea how much it costs per kerb to lower. I'm looking to lower 7 kerbs in total

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
26 Comments

All depends on your local council. Expect £1200-2000.

yep all depends where you live and what time of year they do it, the guys who do ours also drive the gritters etc in winter.

Original Poster

Thanks

Around £200 per kerb...

sola35

yep all depends where you live and what time of year they do it, the guys … yep all depends where you live and what time of year they do it, the guys who do ours also drive the gritters etc in winter.

if your council give you a quote you can normally haggle it cheaper, well with our oldham council anyway.

andynicol

Work doesn't have to be local council, you can ask local builders, … Work doesn't have to be local council, you can ask local builders, provided they complete the work to an acceptable standard accepted by the local authority, shop around and try and get quotes from builders who have experience in lowering kerbs.Ballpark figures above of up to £2000 doesn't sound unreasonable, 10 years or so ago I was around £1000.

wrong, you can not touch the kerbs and pavement its council or nothing. unless its changed recently but i doubt it.

On 'Homes Under the Hammer' yesterday, they said it cost around £1500.

They sometimes also wont allow you to, always check before hand. My mum is moving into a property where they made a lovely driveway then applied for the kerb to be lowered and it was refused because there is a fire station opposite - apparently it is forbidden for any vehicles to be reversing or causing access issues in front of a fire station. It was appealed and still refused oO

sola35

wrong, you can not touch the kerbs and pavement its council or nothing. … wrong, you can not touch the kerbs and pavement its council or nothing. unless its changed recently but i doubt it.

Dundee City Council allow it.

So I'm correct in my area anyway.

I think ours was quoted at £80 to simply fill in a form so they could access it and send a surveyor round before they even give a price. Also depends how much dropped kerb already exists nearby. 7 sounds like a lot!

andynicol

Dundee City Council allow it.So I'm correct in my area anyway.

sorry must be different in Scotland, like many other things I've noticed are,

Banned

7 kerbs?

You will never get away with it

Note you may also need planning permission for some areas as you are creating a crossover. If the roads in the area are due to be resurfaced and new kerbstones etc. Give the workmen £50 to do it. That's what a few people around here did.

Those saying he/she wont get away with 7.... it all depends on location. For example some councils want cars off the roads/kerbs, they can cause access/pedestrian issues so if they are safely tucked away on drives the congested pavements become clear & risk removed.... but then there are new rules out today that there will be fines for parking on kerbs...... so maybe councils will disallow kerb lowering so they can rake in the ££ hmmm ?
Edited by: "Smaybelline" 29th Mar 2017

Lincolnshire County Council will carry it out at a reduced cost if they are doing works to the footway. Failing that they will grant approval to you to employ a competent contractor with public liability insurance, all to be done at your expense (typically £1500 to £2000). If the road fronting your property is classified (A to C class road) then you will also require planning permission from your planning authority. Be warned though, if you use a less than competent contractor and the council deems the work is of a poor standard then you will be responsible for making it good at your cost.
Usually 5 kerbs (3 centres and two droppers) are sufficiently wide enough for a residential access. If in doubt ring your highways department and don't be tempted by anyone who knocks on your door offering to do it cheap.

sola35

sorry must be different in Scotland, like many other things I've noticed … sorry must be different in Scotland, like many other things I've noticed are,

Be even worse if narco nicola gets her way lol

Firstly you have to ask for permission. Then council will give you a quote if approved. If you want to use your local builders council will charge you £100-£200

sounds like different council different rules looking at all the comments, bet the op is no wiser.

It's expensive because the council have to employ one man to do the work and three other to stand and watch he is doing it right. Ridiculous price for what they charge. Where i live they replaced all the kerbs about 5 years ago and some got extra drops for free. They never seem to be wide enough. Don't really know why we have kerbs anyway on most streets and housing estates.

sola35

wrong, you can not touch the kerbs and pavement its council or nothing. … wrong, you can not touch the kerbs and pavement its council or nothing. unless its changed recently but i doubt it.

In my area anyone can do it, on the day of installation we had to have the councils highway inspector to check it was deep enough, it had to be dug out then wait, once the council say it's ok you can fill it in and concrete it.
They then make you agree to have home insurance cover that covers the public against any slips or trips on the new path for 5 years, then it becomes the councils responsibilty again.

I paid £600 to the council for them inspecting it, granting permission and updating their records.
I paid another £500 for 2 guys to suppply the kerbs, concrete then do the work, done in a day.

Mogolent

Around £200 per kerb...

Lol

I paid £1800 last year for this to be done. The builders had to be on the Northants Council approved builders list otherwise it could not be done and because of that, the builders put the prices up as they have a monopoly. I know I could have had it done for half that price if it was not for the Approved List.

There are guys around that are licensed to do work. Ncr dropped kerb Ltd is one local to me and seen another the other day outside trade centre, can't remember name. Maybe councils do things differently but going direct to council would not be my first choice. Look around and ask about.

All Councils are different but do remember this. If your Council uses approved builders and you do not comply with this, they may not find out straight away but when and if they do, they can by law force you to put the Kerb back to the original state. I would always check first just to be on the safe side. You can find all the answers on the councils website though.

Original Poster

Just thought I'd let youse know that I got the kerbs lowered 9 in total. Contractor quoted £135 per kerb but done the whole lot for £900 plus took my fence away. Just been passed by council today.

wcoco

Just thought I'd let youse know that I got the kerbs lowered 9 in total. … Just thought I'd let youse know that I got the kerbs lowered 9 in total. Contractor quoted £135 per kerb but done the whole lot for £900 plus took my fence away. Just been passed by council today.

That's a staggeringly low price. I'm amazed oO
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions