kettle to use with amazon echo

Found 30th Apr 2017
just wondering what the best kettle would be to use with the amazon echo?

57 Comments

Are you serious , or aving a larf oO . Surely you aren't that bone idle ? You have to get off the settee to put the tea/coffee/ milk etc in anyway ?

Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Apr 2017

The wifi kettles are rubbish at the moment, all bad reviews and expensive. The other option is to use a smart plug instead such as a TPLink but you will have to remember to flick the kettle switch on everytime and turn the smart plug off ready for you to give the on command.

Original Poster

rogparki

Are you serious , or aving a larf oO . Surely you aren't that bone idle ? … Are you serious , or aving a larf oO . Surely you aren't that bone idle ? You have to get off the settee to put the tea/coffee/ milk etc in anyway ?

ever consider there may be a medical reason?

Try asking in a medical forum what fellow sufferers do. that would be your best bet.

Appkettle.
amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1
Seems to be getting good reviews.

Edited by: "Chanser" 1st May 2017

Breville One Cup isn't smart but saves a lot of time - and electricity. I really like mine

Breville

jodyfmurphy

ever consider there may be a medical reason?

​What possible medical reason could you imagine where someone can pour a kettle but not switch it on?

blazons

What possible medical reason could you imagine where someone can pour a … What possible medical reason could you imagine where someone can pour a kettle but not switch it on?

Its the future where logic and common sense is replaced with wifi and google search. A future where the question "but why?" is never asked

who cares what reason the op has for asking, if you don't have a useful suggestion why bother saying anything.
Think the smart plug is a good way to go just check the power handling rating of the plug.

Not really helpful to the OP, but...

How would a smart plug get around needing to use the switch on the kettle?

jimhuf

Its the future where logic and common sense is replaced with wifi and … Its the future where logic and common sense is replaced with wifi and google search. A future where the question "but why?" is never asked

​I believe that soon we will see questions like "is there any butt wiper that works with Alexa?"

Seriously people get dumber and dumber these days... oO

unknownuser

Not really helpful to the OP, but...How would a smart plug get around … Not really helpful to the OP, but...How would a smart plug get around needing to use the switch on the kettle?

The idea is you dont have to get up to turn the kettle on. Plug a normal kettle into a smart plug will do the same but you just have to remember to switch the kettle back on everytime after using it.
As for those people on here judging why anyone would want a kettle like this, what about mobility issues. If you are a person that struggles moving about then being able to turn a kettle on without getting up is a big help as it means you dont make 2 journeys or wait around.

rhinopaul

The idea is you dont have to get up to turn the kettle on. Plug a normal … The idea is you dont have to get up to turn the kettle on. Plug a normal kettle into a smart plug will do the same but you just have to remember to switch the kettle back on everytime after using it.As for those people on here judging why anyone would want a kettle like this, what about mobility issues. If you are a person that struggles moving about then being able to turn a kettle on without getting up is a big help as it means you dont make 2 journeys or wait around.

who will put the tea bag, milk and then pour the water when it's boiled?
how long doe sit take to boil cup of water? 2 minutes? you really cant spare 2 minutes waiting for the kettle to boil? FML
people are creating solutions to problems we never had before

mattsokolinski

who will put the tea bag, milk and then pour the water when it's … who will put the tea bag, milk and then pour the water when it's boiled?how long doe sit take to boil cup of water? 2 minutes? you really cant spare 2 minutes waiting for the kettle to boil? FMLpeople are creating solutions to problems we never had before

Really, You stay and wait in the kitchen everytime you boil a kettle and see how long before you wish there was an easier way. Its not about lifting the kettle or putting a T bag in a cup its about making life easier for those that already struggle but I guess people dont give a toss about that , that does not concern them.

mattsokolinski

who will put the tea bag, milk and then pour the water when it's … who will put the tea bag, milk and then pour the water when it's boiled?how long doe sit take to boil cup of water? 2 minutes? you really cant spare 2 minutes waiting for the kettle to boil? FMLpeople are creating solutions to problems we never had before

Or people just like gadgets and want to try new things with them. Why do you even care, get a grip, the guy has bought a gadget, he's having fun with it, he's got spare cash and wants to try different things with it.

It not rocket science.

mattsokolinski

2 minutes less moving if moving is difficult or painful? Some people in this thread are absolutely clueless...

Smart functionality in the house is a God send for the less able, you don't know individuals situations (all will be different), so perhaps better you all think before you post.

mattsokolinski

​My exact thoughts.

The 2 mins whilst the kettle is boiling I'm getting the mugs out, putting the tea bag and sugar in and getting the milk out the fridge.

delusion

2 minutes less moving if moving is difficult or painful? Some people in … 2 minutes less moving if moving is difficult or painful? Some people in this thread are absolutely clueless... Smart functionality in the house is a God send for the less able, you don't know individuals situations (all will be different), so perhaps better you all think before you post.

to all you "smart" people please do describe a step by step scenario where a "smart" kettle (because it isnt an all in one that does everything for you) makes a life easier?
Edited by: "mattsk" 1st May 2017

mattsokolinski

to all you "smart" people please do describe a step by step scenario … to all you "smart" people please do describe a step by step scenario where a "smart" kettle (because it isnt an all in one that does everything for you) makes a life easier?

One simple example, someone disabled that struggles to fill a kettle and has carers visit only a few times a day. One of their jobs could be to fill the kettle while there to reduce the activity needed to make a cup of tea or get some hot water. If the carer needed to make the tea as well, then every minute counts as the home visits are short.

How is it hard to understand that anything resulting in less physical activity or moving around is useful to those that struggle with it?
Edited by: "delusion" 1st May 2017

mattsokolinski

to all you "smart" people please do describe a step by step scenario … to all you "smart" people please do describe a step by step scenario where a "smart" kettle (because it isnt an all in one that does everything for you) makes a life easier?

Just for you " not so smart" people. Imagine having to use a walking frame every time you get up, it takes you a lot longer to walk, it can be painful and just downright annoying. Unlike those of us that are able to walk to the kettle turn it on then return to our seats whilst its boiling and jump back up when it done you would have to stay in the kitchen either standing in pain holding onto your walking frame or hope you have a kitchen big enough to sit down. So by having a smart kettle you can simply turn it on from the comfort of the settee and only need to get up once when its boiled. Is it really that difficult to comprehend.

delusion

One simple example, someone disabled that struggles to fill a kettle and … One simple example, someone disabled that struggles to fill a kettle and has carers visit only a few times a day. One of their jobs could be to fill the kettle while there to reduce the activity needed to make a cup of tea or get some hot water. If the carer needed to make the tea as well, then every minute counts as the home visits are short. How is it hard to understand that anything resulting in less physical activity or moving around is useful to those that struggle with it?

seriously?
OT's/social services assess that kind of abilities. if you cannot make a cuppa you have increased package of care or go to a care home. If you cannot fill the kettle you are unlikely lift it up and pour water from it. You are clearly making any BS claim to defend your position.

delusion

One simple example, someone disabled that struggles to fill a kettle and … One simple example, someone disabled that struggles to fill a kettle and has carers visit only a few times a day. One of their jobs could be to fill the kettle while there to reduce the activity needed to make a cup of tea or get some hot water. If the carer needed to make the tea as well, then every minute counts as the home visits are short. How is it hard to understand that anything resulting in less physical activity or moving around is useful to those that struggle with it?

how does that person with a zimmer frame manages to open the fridge pick a pint of milk put a drop and put the bottle back in the fridge if she/he cannot manage with a kettle.
BTW> it is carers responsibility to provide nutrition and hydration regardless of time limitations

rhinopaul

Just for you " not so smart" people. Imagine having to use a walking … Just for you " not so smart" people. Imagine having to use a walking frame every time you get up, it takes you a lot longer to walk, it can be painful and just downright annoying. Unlike those of us that are able to walk to the kettle turn it on then return to our seats whilst its boiling and jump back up when it done you would have to stay in the kitchen either standing in pain holding onto your walking frame or hope you have a kitchen big enough to sit down. So by having a smart kettle you can simply turn it on from the comfort of the settee and only need to get up once when its boiled. Is it really that difficult to comprehend.

im pretty sure that a simple chair next to a normal kettle is cheaper.... how did people manage before all this fancy technology.

I would also like to know how old is that less able person. how are you able to justify an amazon echo, a smart kettle and most likely a smartphone to save 1-2 minutes of time... especially when those less able can often hardly afford basic stuff or heating

you geeks need to get out more, perhaps start working in healthcare to see how things are working in real life

mattsokolinski

seriously?OT's/social services assess that kind of abilities. if you … seriously?OT's/social services assess that kind of abilities. if you cannot make a cuppa you have increased package of care or go to a care home. If you cannot fill the kettle you are unlikely lift it up and pour water from it. You are clearly making any BS claim to defend your position.how does that person with a zimmer frame manages to open the fridge pick a pint of milk put a drop and put the bottle back in the fridge if she/he cannot manage with a kettle. BTW> it is carers responsibility to provide nutrition and hydration regardless of time limitationsim pretty sure that a simple chair next to a normal kettle is cheaper.... how did people manage before all this fancy technology.I would also like to know how old is that less able person. how are you able to justify an amazon echo, a smart kettle and most likely a smartphone to save 1-2 minutes of time... especially when those less able can often hardly afford basic stuff or heatingyou geeks need to get out more, perhaps start working in healthcare to see how things are working in real life

I do work in healthcare so I know exactly how it is. So wouldnt you buy your suffering relative a device that you knew could help them if they couldnt afford it.
Just because things werent around in the past doesnt mean it always has to be that way. We never use to have washing machines, tv remotes, electric kettles, electric irons, & so on, so why do you use them now.

rhinopaul

I do work in healthcare so I know exactly how it is. So wouldnt you buy … I do work in healthcare so I know exactly how it is. So wouldnt you buy your suffering relative a device that you knew could help them if they couldnt afford it. Just because things werent around in the past doesnt mean it always has to be that way. We never use to have washing machines, tv remotes, electric kettles, electric irons, & so on, so why do you use them now.

working in healthcare as who? because you clearly still dont get it.

washing machine - takes minimum 30min from daily chore
tv remote adds functionality in addition to saving time moving up and down to the TV every few minutes

smart kettle - boild the water, doesnt make tea, doesnt put milk, saves 1minute... ever heard of Tefal quick cup? it can boil a cup of water in 30 seconds... just about as long as it takes to get other things to make a tea...

mattsokolinski

working in healthcare as who? because you clearly still dont get … working in healthcare as who? because you clearly still dont get it.washing machine - takes minimum 30min from daily choretv remote adds functionality in addition to saving time moving up and down to the TV every few minutessmart kettle - boild the water, doesnt make tea, doesnt put milk, saves 1minute... ever heard of Tefal quick cup? it can boil a cup of water in 30 seconds... just about as long as it takes to get other things to make a tea...

LOL. After that ridiculous comparative conclusion, I will leave you with your ignorance.

mattsokolinski

seriously?OT's/social services assess that kind of abilities. if you … seriously?OT's/social services assess that kind of abilities. if you cannot make a cuppa you have increased package of care or go to a care home. If you cannot fill the kettle you are unlikely lift it up and pour water from it. You are clearly making any BS claim to defend your position.how does that person with a zimmer frame manages to open the fridge pick a pint of milk put a drop and put the bottle back in the fridge if she/he cannot manage with a kettle. BTW> it is carers responsibility to provide nutrition and hydration regardless of time limitationsim pretty sure that a simple chair next to a normal kettle is cheaper.... how did people manage before all this fancy technology.I would also like to know how old is that less able person. how are you able to justify an amazon echo, a smart kettle and most likely a smartphone to save 1-2 minutes of time... especially when those less able can often hardly afford basic stuff or heatingyou geeks need to get out more, perhaps start working in healthcare to see how things are working in real life

You are just showing your ignorance if you think anyone with a disability is going to be in a care home, it's very common to live at their home and have home visits, some don't even have that.

Stop digging yourself a hole.

As I was making a brew I thought I would time the kettle. 52.37 sec to boil. It takes longer to brew the tea.

If mobility is a real issue surely a teasmade would be a better choice than an echo and a WiFi kettle!? Get a mini fridge or UHT milk and you don't even need to get out your chair.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

As I was making a brew I thought I would time the kettle. 52.37 sec to … As I was making a brew I thought I would time the kettle. 52.37 sec to boil. It takes longer to brew the tea.If mobility is a real issue surely a teasmade would be a better choice than an echo and a WiFi kettle!? Get a mini fridge or UHT milk and you don't even need to get out your chair.

dont even try to come up with better solution... nerds with no social knowledge will downvote you in a second (less than it takes to make a cuppa)

A smart plug wouldn't work because the kettle switch would not stay down when powered off. Plus you wouldn't know if there was enough water in the kettle

MonkeyMan90

A smart plug wouldn't work because the kettle switch would not stay down … A smart plug wouldn't work because the kettle switch would not stay down when powered off. Plus you wouldn't know if there was enough water in the kettle

It does work and as for the water, well how do you normally know if there is enough water .

rhinopaul

It does work and as for the water, well how do you normally know if there … It does work and as for the water, well how do you normally know if there is enough water .

normal people lift it up and feel it. You still have to get up and put the things in the cups so using a kettle with echo is a stupid idea

MonkeyMan90

normal people lift it up and feel it. You still have to get up and put … normal people lift it up and feel it. You still have to get up and put the things in the cups so using a kettle with echo is a stupid idea

LOL. Well, since you didnt even know the switch still works and asked how you would know if the kettle was full, I dont think your opinion really matters.

rhinopaul

LOL. Well, since you didnt even know the switch still works and asked how … LOL. Well, since you didnt even know the switch still works and asked how you would know if the kettle was full, I dont think your opinion really matters.

Instead of thinking you're a know it all, you will find some kettles don't work because mine doesn't because I have a smart plug and I tried loads of different things in the house and the kettle switch did not stay down. Also you misread what I meant by how would you know the kettle is full. What I meant was if you go down the smart plug route with a COMPATIBLE kettle then you will be turning your kettle on without knowing how much water is in it. So thanks for your opinion but it was a typical keyboard warrior opinion so keep it to yourself

mattsokolinski

Errm No. Firstly packages of care aren't increased simply because a person cannot make a cup of tea. The NHS does not have funds to do that.In healthcare provision, making tea is a minor issue which is resolved by providing tea at set times that carers visit and when carers aren't there neighbours or family are relied on to do that.

Your second point however is spot on. The solution provided is bringing the kettle, tea bags etc into the living room at sitting height for the individual to save the excessive walking.

MonkeyMan90

Instead of thinking you're a know it all, you will find some kettles … Instead of thinking you're a know it all, you will find some kettles don't work because mine doesn't because I have a smart plug and I tried loads of different things in the house and the kettle switch did not stay down. Also you misread what I meant by how would you know the kettle is full. What I meant was if you go down the smart plug route with a COMPATIBLE kettle then you will be turning your kettle on without knowing how much water is in it. So thanks for your opinion but it was a typical keyboard warrior opinion so keep it to yourself

Considering it was you who stated "it wouldnt work" based upon your own assumption that because it didnt work with your own kettle , therefore it wouldnt work with others. Who's, the know it all.
Of course you will still know how much water is in it because you would check like as you put it "normal people" before resetting it .

rhinopaul

Considering it was you who stated "it wouldnt work" based upon your own … Considering it was you who stated "it wouldnt work" based upon your own assumption that because it didnt work with your own kettle , therefore it wouldnt work with others. Who's, the know it all.Of course you will still know how much water is in it because you would check like as you put it "normal people" before resetting it .

Then you aren't benefitting from the kettle having this feature are you. You are giving yourself more work by using it i.e having to turn the kettle on then power down once finished then also checking the water after you have finished

MonkeyMan90

Then you aren't benefitting from the kettle having this feature are you. … Then you aren't benefitting from the kettle having this feature are you. You are giving yourself more work by using it i.e having to turn the kettle on then power down once finished then also checking the water after you have finished

Dont you turn the power on when you boil a kettle, dont you check the water before you boil the kettle. You are simply telling alexa to turn off the smart plug or using your android phone touching the Screen. What you are saving as has been said in previous posts that it can be very difficult for someone with a walker who suffers pain in getting up and down all the time. Those of us that are able usually get up, turn kettle on and sit back down then get back up again once its boiled or maybe choose to stand until its boiled however standing or making 2 journeys to the kettle when you only need to do one with the wifi kettle or smart plug saves that person discomfort.
All these negative comments on here are all from view points of people who obviously dont know how discomforting it can be for someone who need to use a walker.
Why is it so hard to understand that one less journey by using a smart kettle/plug can be beneficial.

Original Poster

unbelievable that a simple question could turn into such a tirade or abuse one cups are great until a 3 year old climbs up switches it on and gets covered in hot water. for someone who standing is agonising and rising from a sitting position is agonising to be able to put the kettle on whilst getting up so that by the time you get to it you can simply add the hot water is a god send unfortunately this post has shown the ignorance around people suffering from chronic pain and fatigue illnesses.

rhinopaul

Dont you turn the power on when you boil a kettle, dont you check the … Dont you turn the power on when you boil a kettle, dont you check the water before you boil the kettle. You are simply telling alexa to turn off the smart plug or using your android phone touching the Screen. What you are saving as has been said in previous posts that it can be very difficult for someone with a walker who suffers pain in getting up and down all the time. Those of us that are able usually get up, turn kettle on and sit back down then get back up again once its boiled or maybe choose to stand until its boiled however standing or making 2 journeys to the kettle when you only need to do one with the wifi kettle or smart plug saves that person discomfort. All these negative comments on here are all from view points of people who obviously dont know how discomforting it can be for someone who need to use a walker.Why is it so hard to understand that one less journey by using a smart kettle/plug can be beneficial.

What don't you understand that you aren't saving a trip because you still have to pour the kettle and put stuff in the cups all you are saving is moving your hand about 10 degrees to the left and flicking a switch

MonkeyMan90

What don't you understand that you aren't saving a trip because you still … What don't you understand that you aren't saving a trip because you still have to pour the kettle and put stuff in the cups all you are saving is moving your hand about 10 degrees to the left and flicking a switch

Sorry are you people trolling or what. Even my 5 year old understands it. The difference is what happens whilst you are waiting for the kettle to boil. You are either standing around waiting as the kettle takes a lot longer than it does putting a tea bag and milk in the cup or walking back to the settee.If you tell Alexa or the app to turn on the kettle then all you are doing is sitting.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants