Groups

Key cylinder - advice

Hi all,

My parents have a house in Ireland so my ability to take photos won't be easy and they aren't great with technology so more photos will be an issue, however, it is an aluminium door and I would like to change the keys, the photos I can get are:

To me it looks like a euro cylinder though I can't be sure of its sizes, so i'm having to take a few different sizes with me on the plane.

My questions are:

* is it a euro key cylinder?

* how do i remove it on that door? I know usually it is held by a screw on the side and have done it on my own house, though it looks like the screw i would expect to be the right one is a little too far down, in which case, does the whole of that panel need to be removed? and what is that red type of screw?

Many thanks for your time and advice.

19 Comments

Yes, it's euro cylinder, and that screw will be the one I am sure.

Look at the perspective, appears to line up.

Fairly narrow door, could you not pop it out when there and measure, rather than ordering a few sizes. Sure they can pick them up there no issue.

Original Poster

Robj1

Yes, it's euro cylinder, and that screw will be the one I am sure. Look … Yes, it's euro cylinder, and that screw will be the one I am sure. Look at the perspective, appears to line up. Fairly narrow door, could you not pop it out when there and measure, rather than ordering a few sizes. Sure they can pick them up there no issue.

The problem is I am literally there for a day, and its on a Sunday. Thank you though, it makes me feel a bit confident about it now and not make a wasted journey. Also I got Avecet (can't remember spelling) which won't be easy for someone to cut a key and I can always just return the unwanted ones.

Just ask them to measure from centre of door edge on to the extreme of barrel each side . Looks like a 30/30 ??

Original Poster

airfix

Just ask them to measure from centre of door edge on to the extreme of … Just ask them to measure from centre of door edge on to the extreme of barrel each side . Looks like a 30/30 ??

Honestly, it is easier to get a dog to fly an airplane. I happened to have picked 30/30 and 35/35, so cheers.

Edited by: "shadowdogg" 10th Jan

just undo the second screw up. the lock will then slide out. cheap and easily available at any hardware store .
    I paid around a fiver for yale ones

You need to remove the scew beneath the brass part which comes out when you lock the door, and to remove the lock you need to insert the key and turn it slightly. compare the old lock with the new as there are several variations in the overall length, and the position of the centre part of the lock, some have one side longer than the other

You'll be ok if it sticks out a bit further, although ideally should be flush with handles to stop anyone hitting it with a hammer, better to protrude internally !

make sure you get an anti-snap and anti-bump one , dont get a cheap one can be snapped easily

the lock wont slide out you need to turn the key a bit when pullingout
    Edited by: "deanos" 10th Jan

you will need to have the key in the lock to slide the barrel out. not sure of position maybe someone will know it about 10 o'clock I think. ​

deanos

make sure you get an anti-snap and anti-bump one , dont get a cheap one … make sure you get an anti-snap and anti-bump one , dont get a cheap one can be snapped easilythe lock wont slide out you need to turn the key a bit when pullingout

We've all seen the vids but have you ever tried to snap one? Each time I have it's taken some bloody doing, and you have to take the handle of, err screws inside !

airfix

We've all seen the vids but have you ever tried to snap one? Each time I … We've all seen the vids but have you ever tried to snap one? Each time I have it's taken some bloody doing, and you have to take the handle of, err screws inside !

im not a burglar so not tried

airfix

We've all seen the vids but have you ever tried to snap one? Each time I … We've all seen the vids but have you ever tried to snap one? Each time I have it's taken some bloody doing, and you have to take the handle of, err screws inside !

We do them in work when we break in for the ambulance and its quite easy to snap them in half and get in without taking the handle off

ding

We do them in work when we break in for the ambulance and its quite easy … We do them in work when we break in for the ambulance and its quite easy to snap them in half and get in without taking the handle off

What do you hit if the barrel is flush ?

airfix

What do you hit if the barrel is flush ?

I cant give too much away altho there are plenty of how to videos knocking about but it involves pulling the lock rather than hitting it

ding

I cant give too much away altho there are plenty of how to videos … I cant give too much away altho there are plenty of how to videos knocking about but it involves pulling the lock rather than hitting it

How can you pull it if it fits flush?

airfix

Are you a local scally do you want to break into houses

ding

Are you a local scally do you want to break into houses

So you can't answer my question, thanks

where's the pics I can't see any

airfix

Slide hammer if flush, grips if sticks out or you can remove the handle.

I had to remove locks in our new works premises to change them and had no keys
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…66
      2. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      4. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44

See more discussions