KFC Charging extra 10p per cup for Pepsi drinks

Found 9th Apr
So I went to KFC this afternoon and on the front counter on a piece of A4 paper it says Pepsi 10p extra and the lady is explaining to everyone that this is because of the sugar tax.

So I'm like how can they charge everyone 10p extra per cup if its supposed to be 24p per litre and didn't some of the drinks companies bring down their sugar content to be under the tax.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Buy Pepsi Max,Cherry Flavour.
Edited by: "AW0079" 9th Apr
deleted1023990
I think 10p extra is reasonable.

However no one is forcing you, if you don't like it - don't buy it. Vote with your feet!
Some manufacturers changed their recipes (hence the rush to buy Irn-Bru recently) and some haven't, namely Pepsi & Coke.
7 Up (the only other drink I know at KFC) is quite low on sugar so probably is exempt anyway.

bbc.co.uk/new…124

As Wilson says vote with your wallet/feet/whatever
92 Comments
Buy Pepsi Max,Cherry Flavour.
Edited by: "AW0079" 9th Apr
Is it just Pepsi, or have their prices gone up for other drinks?
Edited by: "Uranus" 9th Apr
How can they not charge 10p per cup?
deleted1023990
I think 10p extra is reasonable.

However no one is forcing you, if you don't like it - don't buy it. Vote with your feet!
Only Pepsi? I would have thought other available soft drinks would contain as much sugar?
chuckiedoll5 m ago

Only Pepsi? I would have thought other available soft drinks would contain …Only Pepsi? I would have thought other available soft drinks would contain as much sugar?

Only Tango but it's a lot less and the tax is different depending on grams of sugar per 100ML
Some manufacturers changed their recipes (hence the rush to buy Irn-Bru recently) and some haven't, namely Pepsi & Coke.
7 Up (the only other drink I know at KFC) is quite low on sugar so probably is exempt anyway.

bbc.co.uk/new…124

As Wilson says vote with your wallet/feet/whatever
Original Poster
I'm not sure if they were charging for all the drinks and personally I prefer Pepsi max, I just don't like it when its used as an opportunity to rip people off all those extra 10p's per person add up I don't think McDonalds or anyone else have added a 10p charge at the counter.
deleted193256
maybe McDonalds are still using supplies they bought before the increase, so are waiting til they have to buy at the higher price before passing it on to customers.
tjack0116 m ago

I'm not sure if they were charging for all the drinks and personally I …I'm not sure if they were charging for all the drinks and personally I prefer Pepsi max, I just don't like it when its used as an opportunity to rip people off all those extra 10p's per person add up I don't think McDonalds or anyone else have added a 10p charge at the counter.

the sugar tax is 24p for 1litre of regular Pepsi, so a blanket 10p across the board to not over complicate it is about right, but i agree with your sentiment.
tjack0125 m ago

I'm not sure if they were charging for all the drinks and personally I …I'm not sure if they were charging for all the drinks and personally I prefer Pepsi max, I just don't like it when its used as an opportunity to rip people off all those extra 10p's per person add up I don't think McDonalds or anyone else have added a 10p charge at the counter.

Yes, they have.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell14 m ago

So I like I went into like McDonald's like the other day like.And like …So I like I went into like McDonald's like the other day like.And like they like charged me like extra for like their Cock of Cola like.So, the receipt said like it was like part of the new Sugar TAX.So, I don't like this...like.

I liked your post like.
This is all a farce, I've been having trouble finding sugared drinks, I just managed to find a two litre pepsi in asda for £1.86 so got it, but everywhere I go is full of the diet trash and big empty spaces where the sugared stuff is meant to be, people are determined not to buy the diet trash.

Then you have people like Morrison shooting themselves in the foot months ago, their own brand cola was really good and my local often ran out, then they reduced the sugar well that would be fine if they just did that but no they replaced it with a half and half sugar and fake sugar mix, now its clearly not selling, I went on the Facebook when they first changed it and there was plenty of people complaining, instead of doing that they could have just upped the price from 54p to 89p.

So lately I've been drinking more concentrated fruit juices as they are cheap and full of sugar and acid to destroy your teeth and I've been drinking more beer, you can buy an Ale for a pound so its cheaper then soft drinks now.
Andy@XCite55 m ago

Some manufacturers changed their recipes (hence the rush to buy Irn-Bru …Some manufacturers changed their recipes (hence the rush to buy Irn-Bru recently) and some haven't, namely Pepsi & Coke.7 Up (the only other drink I know at KFC) is quite low on sugar so probably is exempt anyway.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43659124As Wilson says vote with your wallet/feet/whatever

The new Irn-Bru is not the same I will no longer buy it.
Segata-Sanshiro15 m ago

This is all a farce, I've been having trouble finding sugared drinks, I …This is all a farce, I've been having trouble finding sugared drinks, I just managed to find a two litre pepsi in asda for £1.86 so got it, but everywhere I go is full of the diet trash and big empty spaces where the sugared stuff is meant to be, people are determined not to buy the diet trash.Then you have people like Morrison shooting themselves in the foot months ago, their own brand cola was really good and my local often ran out, then they reduced the sugar well that would be fine if they just did that but no they replaced it with a half and half sugar and fake sugar mix, now its clearly not selling, I went on the Facebook when they first changed it and there was plenty of people complaining, instead of doing that they could have just upped the price from 54p to 89p.So lately I've been drinking more concentrated fruit juices as they are cheap and full of sugar and acid to destroy your teeth and I've been drinking more beer, you can buy an Ale for a pound so its cheaper then soft drinks now.

Shall we march?
Uranus9th Apr

Shall we march?

Fantastic idea. But you're gonna have to wait for her to sober up now.
deleted10239909th Apr

I think 10p extra is reasonable. However no one is forcing you, if you …I think 10p extra is reasonable. However no one is forcing you, if you don't like it - don't buy it. Vote with your feet!

I didn't know you could pay for Pepsi with your feet. Going to try this next time, cheers!
First cup should be tax free! Why punish everyone, surely if your downing 5 then you have a problem.

I don't know how you enforce that but the whole sugar tax seems dumb.

We are all victims even if we are not over weight, even if you only have one drink.
deleted1023990
MSK.40 m ago

I didn't know you could pay for Pepsi with your feet. Going to try this …I didn't know you could pay for Pepsi with your feet. Going to try this next time, cheers!

Well at least you'll be able to 'kick-off' with them if it doesn't work!
Edited by: "deleted1023990" 9th Apr
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army9th Apr

The new Irn-Bru is not the same I will no longer buy it.

Same here, poundland had some 4 packs of the proper stuff so I snapped them up even though i don't normally drink it but I bet they are sold out now, not tried the new one and not going to out of principle.

Even lucozade is out of the question, a glucose and caffeine based energy drink idiotically has aspartame in it too
Pizza Hut have took all the regular off the unlimited refills now.... It's all diet or max now. You can buy regular in bottles but obviously costs more than refills.

I've got a free pizza on their reward app but once I've used it doubt we go pizza hut again.
The biggest annoyance with this tax is choice, as a consumer I enjoy the odd high sugar fizzy drink, sweetener tastes vile and this just persecutes sensible adults aswell as the usual slobs this is targeted at.
Mum2ConnornCerys11 m ago

Pizza Hut have took all the regular off the unlimited refills now.... It's …Pizza Hut have took all the regular off the unlimited refills now.... It's all diet or max now. You can buy regular in bottles but obviously costs more than refills.I've got a free pizza on their reward app but once I've used it doubt we go pizza hut again.

That doesn't make any sense, your not buying the refills its free and I'm sure they could find a cheaper supplier ask Lidl for Freeway cola instead for example.

I wonder if this will be the death nail to nandos everyone goes there because free refill
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell2 h, 8 m ago

So I like I went into like McDonald's like the other day like.And like …So I like I went into like McDonald's like the other day like.And like they like charged me like extra for like their Cock of Cola like.So, the receipt said like it was like part of the new Sugar TAX.So, I don't like this...like.

Either your auto-correct is playing up, or McDonald's have really started to cater for the LGBT community.
fivegoldstars5 m ago

Either your auto-correct is playing up, or McDonald's have really started …Either your auto-correct is playing up, or McDonald's have really started to cater for the LGBT community.

Hang on... straight women can like Cock of Cola too...
Uranus9th Apr

Shall we march?

Surely not, oh ok then let's march, I'm outraged! Tories eh!
benrobertsno123 m ago

The biggest annoyance with this tax is choice, as a consumer I enjoy the …The biggest annoyance with this tax is choice, as a consumer I enjoy the odd high sugar fizzy drink, sweetener tastes vile and this just persecutes sensible adults aswell as the usual slobs this is targeted at.

Yeah, well despite being told about how unhealthy it is, the overweight have continued to eat too much sugar.

Unless you want scales at the till then those who have some self control are victims because of the behaviour of the idiots who stuff their faces.
miikeyblue9th Apr

Hang on... straight women can like Cock of Cola too...

Allegedly, though I've yet to meet one.
I thought the wife said she enjoyed it once, but apparently I misheard and she said endured.
KFC wanna sort their Chicken out before they start messing around with their beverage menu - still on a semi-limited menu here in some outlets despite them charging full price for less chicken. As for the the Sugar Tax, another well thought out change (sarcasm) that'll benefit the average working man/woman (more sarcasm) - it's up there with the Car Tax band and MOT changes.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell2 h, 37 m ago

Charged you extra for cock....I’m keeping my Mrs away from McDs!
Segata-Sanshiro48 m ago

That doesn't make any sense, your not buying the refills its free and I'm …That doesn't make any sense, your not buying the refills its free and I'm sure they could find a cheaper supplier ask Lidl for Freeway cola instead for example.I wonder if this will be the death nail to nandos everyone goes there because free refill

I go there because I get an NHS discount
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 2 m ago

That doesn't make any sense, your not buying the refills its free and I'm …That doesn't make any sense, your not buying the refills its free and I'm sure they could find a cheaper supplier ask Lidl for Freeway cola instead for example.I wonder if this will be the death nail to nandos everyone goes there because free refill

I know we were in Toby carvery and they were still doing Britvic refills all varieties. Yeh Nando's have Coca Cola, we in there other week and still present for now.

Handmade Burger Co which closed down shops but u think they were saved, they used to do unlimited refills ages back but stopped all them.

I don't like max /zero / diet stuff and the only time I drink fizzy drinks is when eating out.

It's like this for me I go to pizza hut I get 20% student discount on applicable days. I go to pizza express on Monday or Tuesday I get 40%, pizza express never done refills, both them I gotta buy individual drinks now, I'm more inclined to go pizza express... Where the nearest 2 are to me, both them on same retail park.

3rd world problems lol.
Uranus9th Apr

I go there because I get an NHS discount

Yeh, 20% but to maximum of £4. I have a loyalty card there, other week we went and had the red reward so one burger meal free. I think he paid about £12 for both of us for 2 burgers and 2 unlimited drinks.

Do you ever get dessert in there?
Mum2ConnornCerys33 m ago

Yeh, 20% but to maximum of £4. I have a loyalty card there, other week we …Yeh, 20% but to maximum of £4. I have a loyalty card there, other week we went and had the red reward so one burger meal free. I think he paid about £12 for both of us for 2 burgers and 2 unlimited drinks.Do you ever get dessert in there?

I don't do desserts there.
The discount limit seems to vary from store to store.
In the Trafford centre I always got twenty percent off the entire meal.

In all Leicester branches and Birmingham Star city it was twenty percent off the most expensive item.

In various London branches it was completely random.
Some of the comments in this thread, I drink a fair bit of fizzy, but by some people's attitudes you would think they are taxing something you actually needed.

The tax is clearly working judging by the amount of people who's lives it's effected.
Drink beer !
33608400-yH4cM.jpg
Hang on. They are watered down coke. How the hell do they have sugar tax!
Had no idea about a sugar tax. A colleague at the self checkouts in Sainsbury's told me on Saturday but I never buy regular versions of fizzy drinks...

Pepsi max used to be £1 a bottle and now it's £1.29 or something like that when on offer but this increase happened a while ago.
freakstyler2 h, 7 m ago

KFC wanna sort their Chicken out before they start messing around with …KFC wanna sort their Chicken out before they start messing around with their beverage menu - still on a semi-limited menu here in some outlets despite them charging full price for less chicken. As for the the Sugar Tax, another well thought out change (sarcasm) that'll benefit the average working man/woman (more sarcasm) - it's up there with the Car Tax band and MOT changes.

Average man is going to get a better pension, but he will suffer even more for it now since they are taking even more cash for it!
Uranus9th Apr

I don't do desserts there.The discount limit seems to vary from store to …I don't do desserts there.The discount limit seems to vary from store to store.In the Trafford centre I always got twenty percent off the entire meal.In all Leicester branches and Birmingham Star city it was twenty percent off the most expensive item.In various London branches it was completely random.

Yeh the desserts there I'm not fussed with those. It's always £4 off our bill, we just use the ones in Teesside usually.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions