Found 14th Jun
has any1 got an 04 to 56 picanto and had brake pedal hit the floor? if so how did you fix it? just put new brakes on bleed it properly and now intermittent brake pedal now. any advice? thanx in advance

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

Could be rear wheel cylinder leaking or master cylinder gone. If you have changed the front brake pads it's possible that when you squeezed the calipers back it has forced the seal back inside the master cylinder

Original Poster

danzab

Could be rear wheel cylinder leaking or master cylinder gone. If you have … Could be rear wheel cylinder leaking or master cylinder gone. If you have changed the front brake pads it's possible that when you squeezed the calipers back it has forced the seal back inside the master cylinder

​pads and discs all round plus abs. master cylinder looks like it been changed before I bought it but then again it could've failed. thanx anyway

First thing to try is get some one to help you bleed it at all four corners. Person inside pumps the pedal up and holds on pressure. Open the nipple and once fluid stops coming out close it. Repeat several times on each corner. Sounds like you hve run the resevoir dry can be quite hard to get a pedal if thats the case. Is the pedal just going straight to the floor when your bleeding or can you feel it pushing the fluid through?

Shouldn't need to bleed the brakes when changing discs and pads but I would bleed it again to rule it out. If you can get someone to help you,clamp off all four brake hoses at the wheels and have someone sat inside,get them to pump the brake pedal and hold it when it's solid. Let off the claps on the brake hoses one at a time, if the pedal sinks more at one wheel than the others when you release the clamps then that's where the air will be

Original Poster

danzab

Shouldn't need to bleed the brakes when changing discs and pads but I … Shouldn't need to bleed the brakes when changing discs and pads but I would bleed it again to rule it out. If you can get someone to help you,clamp off all four brake hoses at the wheels and have someone sat inside,get them to pump the brake pedal and hold it when it's solid. Let off the claps on the brake hoses one at a time, if the pedal sinks more at one wheel than the others when you release the clamps then that's where the air will be

​all brakes been done just every now and then foot goes to floor

Check the brake lines for leaks.
Changing the discs and pads requires manipulating the brake line so easy to break a 11+ year old pipe.

Original Poster

joedastudd

Check the brake lines for leaks.Changing the discs and pads requires … Check the brake lines for leaks.Changing the discs and pads requires manipulating the brake line so easy to break a 11+ year old pipe.

​all been checked no leaks

danzab

Shouldn't need to bleed the brakes when changing discs and pads but I … Shouldn't need to bleed the brakes when changing discs and pads but I would bleed it again to rule it out. If you can get someone to help you,clamp off all four brake hoses at the wheels and have someone sat inside,get them to pump the brake pedal and hold it when it's solid. Let off the claps on the brake hoses one at a time, if the pedal sinks more at one wheel than the others when you release the clamps then that's where the air will be

True but as hes lost the pedal im assuming they were bled to start with.

Hocky

​all brakes been done just every now and then foot goes to floor

Did you clean the carriers properly? Do the pads show any sign of overheating. If they are sticking they could be overheating the fluid hence the poor pedal

Original Poster

123batman321

True but as hes lost the pedal im assuming they were bled to start with.

​everything works as it should . I just think it master cylinder has failed as works ok at normal journeys just at very low speed it fails every now and again.

Are you sure the abs isnt kicking in. Pedal wil vibrate and go down quite far mostly at junctions at low speed?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Lost snipping tool on windows 10 laptop510
    2. Do I need a gigabit switch or will 10/100mbps be sufficient44
    3. School shoes - with lights44
    4. Foo fighters presale code.3639

See more discussions