Expired

kia picanto vs toyota yaris

Found 3rd Jul 2015
Hi, I have just passed my test *phew* and I am now hunting for my first car. I have narrowed it down to two - The Kia Picanto and the Toyota Yaris. My budget is £1500 would stretch maybe to £2000 if a stonking deal came along but sub £1500 would be ideal. Would be used maybe 3 times a week in London got my wife and a 6 month old to ferry around.

Here is my current pros and cons for each vehicle.

Kia -Pros: Newer model at least 2007 (seen 09's in rare cases) for around the £1500 price mark
£30 road tax for most models £30 Islington parking permit £1000 insurance and good reviews and reliability is decent.

Cons: Never driven one - Heard safety is 3/4 stars however will barely go on roads faster than 30 so is that a problem? - Brakes apparently too responsive and the lightest touch will force heavy breaking. Steering terrible on motorways (again not planning to use the motorway much if at all for now)

Yaris - pros: Learnt in one so know it inside out - Japanese reliability - Decent space - I personally like electriconic dashboards - Cheaper in repairs? - More available so more choice? - Bulletproof

Cons: £130 Road tax £75 permit £1300 insurance More expensive (Lucky to get an 05 colour collection model for less than £1500 ) MPG not as good as Picanto.

I want a car that does the job for a small family, super cheap to run, cheap enough on insurance and not older than 10 years.

Opinions please?

Ayden
Community Updates
AskToyota
13 Comments
like the aygo more but if you have more need for boot space, would say yaris as kia is bit more plastic feeling and the extended warranty has run out for the year you are looking at.
Personally yaris every time ..I've had 2 (1.2 and now Yaris sport 1.8)
Never had a prob with either of them .. Reliable and trustworthy .. Toyota I've had excellent customer service from then every time ... Never had any issues just regular services and mots
Yaris, However test drive them both and see how you feel, Both good cars but the Toyota edges it imo.
How about leasing? Road tax is included in the cost and the insurance should be much cheaper, I know mine was at least. Plus it should be safer and more economical to run.
Original Poster
PhoenixRising

How about leasing? Road tax is included in the cost and the insurance … How about leasing? Road tax is included in the cost and the insurance should be much cheaper, I know mine was at least. Plus it should be safer and more economical to run.

Problem with leasing is that it will be my first car - won't be comfortable or confident driving around a brand new £10,000+ vehicle plus living in the centre of London chances are it would be a high risk vehicle in terms of getting nicked.
have looked at both in the past and if i remember right the yaris had a tiny boot didnt even have a door it was back window that opened up ,if this is the case kia as youl be lugging prams,baby chairs etc with a 6 month old,kia would get my vote £30 road tax is always a bonus you dont have to worry about extra cash when that needs renewed
I test drove both the Yaris and Picanto back in the days of the scrappage deals in 2009. I went for the Yaris 1.3Tr model. £30 a year road tax and holds its own on motorway driving no problem.

Certainly doesn't feel or drive like a 1.3 and that's coming from someone who drove several 1.8l engines prior to that.

Staying in Dundee plenty hills to negotiate, and have done so with a full car of adults (my male children, all in their 20's) with no problem.

Yes the boot is small but the back seats split and slide if required to make more room or just use the back seats.

I wouldn't go any smaller than 1.3 engine for any model.

I'm almost 6 years and only 21k miles in on my Yaris and if required I'd certainly consider another. The Yaris also faired much better on head and leg room for my family. All 6ft - 6ft 6 tall other than me the midget at 5ft 10.

Perhaps a Picanto owner could give a personal review of their car?
Original Poster
cheekyweegit

I test drove both the Yaris and Picanto back in the days of the scrappage … I test drove both the Yaris and Picanto back in the days of the scrappage deals in 2009. I went for the Yaris 1.3Tr model. £30 a year road tax and holds its own on motorway driving no problem. Certainly doesn't feel or drive like a 1.3 and that's coming from someone who drove several 1.8l engines prior to that.Staying in Dundee plenty hills to negotiate, and have done so with a full car of adults (my male children, all in their 20's) with no problem.Yes the boot is small but the back seats split and slide if required to make more room or just use the back seats.I wouldn't go any smaller than 1.3 engine for any model.I'm almost 6 years and only 21k miles in on my Yaris and if required I'd certainly consider another. The Yaris also faired much better on head and leg room for my family. All 6ft - 6ft 6 tall other than me the midget at 5ft 10.Perhaps a Picanto owner could give a personal review of their car?

Might be a bit out of my price range for the 09 model if I could buy one of those newer yaris's then there would be on competition I'd love a picanto owner to comment on this thread because I know a fair bit about yaris' but the picanto seem like a much more environmentally friendly option!
Original Poster
aydenthelion

Might be a bit out of my price range for the 09 model if I could buy one … Might be a bit out of my price range for the 09 model if I could buy one of those newer yaris's then there would be on competition I'd love a picanto owner to comment on this thread because I know a fair bit about yaris' but the picanto seem like a much more environmentally friendly option!

Economic option sorry
Picanto all day
Original Poster
itsdavidjones1984

Picanto all day

Any reason why?
aydenthelion

Any reason why?

7 year warranty? Better looking?
Original Poster

Can't stretch to over £3000 for at least a 2010 model. I have also seen the Suzuki alto sz3 which looks decent. Opinions?

itsdavidjones1984

7 year warranty? Better looking?

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants