Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)

Found 17th Aug 2017Edited by:"DoHS"
Hi all car experts, advice would be appreciated.

In the process of changing a car and always had VW Polos or Golfs (Diesels, from 1.2tdi upto 1.9tdi). got funds to purchase outright with no need for finance and looking to keep the car as long as possible. Also fancy a change from VAG. Live in a rural area, so daily commute to work is 25miles (return) on a straight A road, and it also involves some hilly rural driving with regular stops (business needs), so i dont cover more than 9k per year, 10k per year at the most in total including a weekly commute and client visits. Both Rio (2) are ex demo cars 2017 models with 3 and 4k on the clock for the same price (£11,900) both pre April 2017 registered so not affected by new VED changes. Petrol one £20 per year while diesel one is £0 per year.

In your opinion which one do you think i should go for pertol or diesel version.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
With the mileage I would personally lease a car instead.
MIDURIX1 h, 31 m ago

With the mileage I would personally lease a car instead.

What is it about this site, I want A or B...comments say every suggestion from C-Z.

Honestly id go with the diesel these low powered 3 cylinder petrol engines sound great on paper but you have to rag the backside out of them to get them to move and this makes their fuel economy go right down. As long as you have a decent run to warm the car up is go with the diesel for sure
I'd go for the diesel, as you mentioned A road for your main commute, my personal opinion diesels are better for A & M road commutes.

The diesel will also have more torque so will feel nippy.

My GF had a 2012 Venga with 1.4CRDi and it moved a lot better than you'd expect and didn't sound like a tank.
Dannyrobbo15 h, 41 m ago

Honestly id go with the diesel these low powered 3 cylinder petrol engines …Honestly id go with the diesel these low powered 3 cylinder petrol engines sound great on paper but you have to rag the backside out of them to get them to move and this makes their fuel economy go right down.

As far as I'm aware the Rio doesn't feature those lower powered 3 cylinder engines, only the top of the range one with either 100 or 120 horsepower and 171Nm peak torque.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 18th Aug 2017
Petrol one spec:
Engine Size: 998 (99 bhp)
3-cylinder
Max. torque, Nm at rpm (171/1,500-4,000)
0-60 time10.3 sec Max Speed115 mph
MPG (combined) 62.80 mpg
MPG (urban) 54.30 mpg
MPG (extra urban) 68.90 mpg
CO2 Emissions 102 g/km
VED £20

Diesel spec
Engine Size1,396 cc (76 bhp)
4-cylinder
Max. torque, Nm at rpm (240/1,500-2,000)
0-60 time 13.5 sec Max Speed 102 mph
MPG (combined) 80.70 mpg
MPG (urban) 67.20 mpg
MPG (extra urban) 91.10 mpg
CO2 Emissions 92 g/km
VED £0
Dannyrobbo10 h, 39 m ago

What is it about this site, I want A or B...comments say every suggestion …What is it about this site, I want A or B...comments say every suggestion from C-Z. Honestly id go with the diesel these low powered 3 cylinder petrol engines sound great on paper but you have to rag the backside out of them to get them to move and this makes their fuel economy go right down. As long as you have a decent run to warm the car up is go with the diesel for sure

You shouldn't have such silly choices for A and B.
EndlessWaves11 h, 21 m ago

As far as I'm aware the Rio doesn't feature those lower powered 3 cylinder …As far as I'm aware the Rio doesn't feature those lower powered 3 cylinder engines, only the top of the range one with either 100 or 120 horsepower and 171Nm peak torque - more than the diesel.

Yeah unfortunatly it does, on paper it sounds great but in reality you need your foot to the floor at all times just to get it to go, especially when trying to get out at junctions you really have to give yourself time.

theres more to a car than those daft figures they quote. Read some reviews they will highlight the issue with the power of the petrol in low gearing and trouble with hills. Something which the diesel doesn't struggle with.
for that milage lease would be better
but I give you option C
Brand new KIA Rio for exactly the same amount
broker4cars.co.uk/
mattsk12 m ago

for that milage lease would be better but I give you option CBrand new KIA …for that milage lease would be better but I give you option CBrand new KIA Rio for exactly the same amount :)http://www.broker4cars.co.uk/

A lease of which Kia model the 1.0 T-GDI petrol or the 1.4 CRDI?
Dannyrobbo50 m ago

A lease of which Kia model the 1.0 T-GDI petrol or the 1.4 CRDI?

that webpage is a car broker so you can buy outright if you want with heavy discount (eg what OP is willing to pay for an ex display car)
mattsk1 h, 9 m ago

that webpage is a car broker so you can buy outright if you want with …that webpage is a car broker so you can buy outright if you want with heavy discount (eg what OP is willing to pay for an ex display car)

Again the OP wants to know what model he should buy, which one do you think in your honest opinion, he has already found the two cars he wants
Dannyrobbo3 h, 55 m ago

Yeah unfortunatly it does, on paper it sounds great but in reality you …Yeah unfortunatly it does, on paper it sounds great but in reality you need your foot to the floor at all times just to get it to go, especially when trying to get out at junctions you really have to give yourself time.theres more to a car than those daft figures they quote. Read some reviews they will highlight the issue with the power of the petrol in low gearing and trouble with hills. Something which the diesel doesn't struggle with.

Quotes from the top three results for 'Kio Rio Review':

"We would be tempted to spend a little more on the 1.0-litre turbocharged three-cylinder motor with 99bhp. This engine is just as flexible as the small turbo engines in the Fiesta and Fabia, and delivers even more outright speed. A 118bhp version of this engine is also available, but you won’t notice the extra power unless you work it really hard. It isn’t worth the extra money to be honest."

"The new 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine, for example, is a great unit; it feels punchy, is economical and has an enjoyable, thrummy note."

"There are plenty of engine options for the Kia Rio – but we’d recommend the 100PS T-GDI petrol. It has a decent 171Nm of torque from 1500-4000rpm, so there’s lots of low-down punch to help with overtakes and slip roads, plus it’s very quiet and has official economy of more than 60mpg.

It works very well with the Rio whether in town, on the motorway or on a country road. It’s also available with 120PS, but there’s not much need to pick that version, since the 100PS option is such a good all-rounder."

Um...
EndlessWaves43 m ago

Quotes from the top three results for 'Kio Rio Review':"We would be …Quotes from the top three results for 'Kio Rio Review':"We would be tempted to spend a little more on the 1.0-litre turbocharged three-cylinder motor with 99bhp. This engine is just as flexible as the small turbo engines in the Fiesta and Fabia, and delivers even more outright speed. A 118bhp version of this engine is also available, but you won’t notice the extra power unless you work it really hard. It isn’t worth the extra money to be honest.""The new 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine, for example, is a great unit; it feels punchy, is economical and has an enjoyable, thrummy note.""There are plenty of engine options for the Kia Rio – but we’d recommend the 100PS T-GDI petrol. It has a decent 171Nm of torque from 1500-4000rpm, so there’s lots of low-down punch to help with overtakes and slip roads, plus it’s very quiet and has official economy of more than 60mpg.It works very well with the Rio whether in town, on the motorway or on a country road. It’s also available with 120PS, but there’s not much need to pick that version, since the 100PS option is such a good all-rounder."Um...

We can all pull a review online to prove our point, here's one that proves mine

"It’s not all good news. Like the handling, there’s a disappointing lethargy to the turbo three-cylinder’s responses – especially at low revs – denying the driver that all-important zingyness we value so highly in small engines.

That brings more practical problems, too. You’ll need to be extra diligent when pulling onto a roundabout from low speed in second gear, for example, where there’s a noticeable pause before the engine finds its legs, leaving the Rio at the mercy of oncoming traffic."

However Take it from me, the mrs drives one it struggles on hills and at junctions. I've struggled to overtake a lorry uphill.

its a great little car mind engine aside
With a 9-10k annual mileage it's simple, go for the petrol. Diesels are too complicated and are not a good bet unless you are doing 15k + annually. Yes they get good fuel mileage but that will easily be wiped out by a single DPF issue.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants