Expired

Kia Rio alloy wheel corroding

Found 2nd Sep 2013
One of my alloys has started corroding on my 2010 Kia Rio, is it covered under warranty?
Community Updates
10 Comments
If it's corroded due to damage, it won't be. Wheels are normally excluded from corrosion warranties.
The wheels are not damaged in any way. Its like they are starting to bubble and crack underneath.
Edited by: "SouthParkFan" 2nd Sep 2013
Should be covered under the 3 year manufacturer warranty, don't kia have that 7 year warranty thing?

Take it to your local dealer, even if they say no its about £45 to get a wheel refurbished properly.
Have u tried
It's perhaps worth taking it to a dealer and asking them.
What’s not covered?
Damage due to factors beyond the manufacturer’s control Examples of this could include: • Misuse of the car such as driving over kerbs, overloading, racing, etc. You’ll find proper usage described in the owner’s manual • Events such as collision, fire, theft, riot, etc • Alteration, modification, tampering, etc • Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, bird lime, tree sap, etc), salt, road hazards, hail, wind, storm, lightning, floods and other acts of God • Cosmetic conditions or surface corrosion from stone chips or scratches in the paint

http://www.kia.co.uk/owners/warranty.aspx

I think you could have an issue, as what you've described is surface corrosion which is excluded.

However, do pop along to the dealer as I've heard their customer service is very good.
Edited by: "moob" 2nd Sep 2013
moob

What’s not covered? Damage due to factors beyond the manufacturer’s con … What’s not covered? Damage due to factors beyond the manufacturer’s control Examples of this could include: • Misuse of the car such as driving over kerbs, overloading, racing, etc. You’ll find proper usage described in the owner’s manual • Events such as collision, fire, theft, riot, etc • Alteration, modification, tampering, etc • Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, bird lime, tree sap, etc), salt, road hazards, hail, wind, storm, lightning, floods and other acts of God • Cosmetic conditions or surface corrosion from stone chips or scratches in the painthttp://www.kia.co.uk/owners/warranty.aspxI think you could have an issue, as what you've described is surface corrosion which is excluded.However, do pop along to the dealer as I've heard their customer service is very good.

If it is bubbling up under the paint, thats not surface corrosion, that means the alloys weren't prepared correctly in the factory, the only other thing I can think of is that if this is on the edge, a tyre fitter may have damaged the rim and water has gone in.
The paint will be bubbling because there is corrosion underneath. Such corrosion will be on the surface. You did read the excerpt I posted, that mentioned salt and other environmental damage etc?

You should try reading through the Kia exclusions like I did in any case.
Edited by: "moob" 2nd Sep 2013
moob

The paint will be bubbling because there is corrosion underneath. Such … The paint will be bubbling because there is corrosion underneath. Such corrosion will be on the surface. You did read the excerpt I posted, that mentioned salt and other environmental damage etc?You should try reading through the Kia exclusions like I did in any case.

It's not as clear cut as that, they could write that clowns could do dances all over the bonnet and not cover it, but if it shouldn't happen it shouldn't happen. Rust doesn't appear from no where, the damp water source needs to get in somewhere, or be present before the top coat has been applied, this is where the warranty will or will not cover, if there is a dent or scratch near the corrosion, then they won't cover it, if not, then it will, or at least should.
I knew you'd come back and spout crap. Environmental damage by grit, salt and water isn't covered.

I did suggest OP goes to their dealer and ask for a goodwill gesture, which is all it would be.

There's no point arguing with you further.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants