Kids getting sunburnt even after applying Asda spf 50 sun spray

Found 3rd Jul
Just seen a post shared on Facebook by a Mum who bought Asda protect kids spf 50 sun lotion spray and put it on her kids throughout the day and they still got horrific sunburn on the first day of their holiday in Majorca.
The cream has the highest 5 star UVA rating and 10 more parents have come forward since and said that it's happened to them while they and their kids had the same cream on.
Asda haven't recalled it but it is no longer available to buy on their website. A spokesperson said they are getting in touch with everyone who has raised concerns so they can fully understand what has gone on.

Quite scary stuff!

Article on I news

Image from Karen Trett Facebook page
2974647-qLISh.jpg

Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
that child should be at school not Majorca ....
Spf 50 means it will last for 50 minutes protection. If they're playing outside all day then you need more frequent application or better sun cream.
master1011 m ago

Spf 50 means it will last for 50 minutes protection. If they're playing …Spf 50 means it will last for 50 minutes protection. If they're playing outside all day then you need more frequent application or better sun cream.

No, it means 50x the time it takes you to burn, ie if you start to burn after 10 minutes then you get 50x10=500 minutes but as you say, needs regular reapplying, especially if you've been in the water.
38 Comments
Malibu was recently recalled because their tanning lotion was incorrectly labelled as suncream and had no protection in it at all. Maybe Asda rebranded some of this...
Spf 50 means it will last for 50 minutes protection. If they're playing outside all day then you need more frequent application or better sun cream.
My Daughter is currently in Tenerife and has had the same problem with their factor 30.
master1011 m ago

Spf 50 means it will last for 50 minutes protection. If they're playing …Spf 50 means it will last for 50 minutes protection. If they're playing outside all day then you need more frequent application or better sun cream.

No, it means 50x the time it takes you to burn, ie if you start to burn after 10 minutes then you get 50x10=500 minutes but as you say, needs regular reapplying, especially if you've been in the water.
I'd guess they saw water resistant and assumed water proof with the kids playing in water.
master1021 m ago

The sun protection factor (SPF rating, introduced in 1974) is a measure of the fraction of sunburn-producing UV rays that reach the skin. For example, "SPF 15" means that 1⁄15 of the burning radiation will reach the skin, assuming sunscreen is applied evenly at a thick dosage of 2 milligrams per square centimeter[20] (mg/cm2). A user can determine the effectiveness of a sunscreen "by multiplying the SPF factor by the length of time it takes for him or her to suffer a burn without sunscreen."[21] Thus, if a person develops a sunburn in 10 minutes when not wearing a sunscreen, the same person in the same intensity of sunlight will avoid sunburn for 150 minutes if wearing a sunscreen with an SPF of 15.[21] It is important to note that sunscreens with higher SPF do not last or remain effective on the skin any longer than lower SPF and must be continually reapplied as directed, usually every two hours.[22]

en.wikipedia.org/wik…een

I don't get your 50 mins protection unless you have a child with a rare skin condition like xeroderma pigmentosum or similar.

"Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun" <<< so true

That all said - it seems that ASDA has issues with it's product and social media will take care of it
Edited by: "philphil61" 3rd Jul
joedastudd13 m ago

I'd guess they saw water resistant and assumed water proof with the kids …I'd guess they saw water resistant and assumed water proof with the kids playing in water.

Yes, Possibly. It really doesn't take long for the sun to burn.
There could be issue with the sun cream but if the kids are in and out of the water it will wash off.

Doesn’t take long in the mid day sun for kids to burn if the sun cream has washed off in the pool.
Don't rely on sunscreen alone to protect yourself from the sun. Wear suitable clothing and spend time in the shade when the sun's at its hottest.

And don't spend any longer in the sun than you would without sunscreen.

And as philphil61 points out: spend time in the shade when the sun is strongest. In the UK, this is between 11am and 3pm from March to October.

nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/sunscreen-and-sun-safety/
Edited by: "LemonHead" 3rd Jul
master102 h, 7 m ago

Nope, SPF 50 will last a lot longer. SPF 30 will stop about 96.5% of UV ray getting through to your skin and SPF 50 will stop about 98% getting through. So if unprotected skin took about 10 minutes to show burning signs SPF 30 would multiply this number by 30. 10 x 30 = 300 minutes of protection. But it’s always good to re apply in between. Stay safe in the sun people and enjoy
joesmum36 m ago

Maybe it was an educational trip to Majorca
jayonline856 m ago

Maybe it was an educational trip to Majorca

Yeah, this is a fiercely debated topic.

I'm not a parent though what is probably needed is a call for a balance between education and family life.

However, some might also argue tthat even one day off can be disruptive, and that term-time holidays can have a lasting impact on learning.
joesmum1 h, 14 m ago

Maybe it's a Scottish child?
Exposure to 15,000,000c can burn!
hisnameisrob3 m ago

Maybe it's a Scottish child?

they start on 9th July
jayonline8554 m ago

Nope, SPF 50 will last a lot longer. SPF 30 will stop about 96.5% of UV …Nope, SPF 50 will last a lot longer. SPF 30 will stop about 96.5% of UV ray getting through to your skin and SPF 50 will stop about 98% getting through. So if unprotected skin took about 10 minutes to show burning signs SPF 30 would multiply this number by 30. 10 x 30 = 300 minutes of protection. But it’s always good to re apply in between. Stay safe in the sun people and enjoy

Thats not really how it works either, Sunscreen no matter the factor should be applied every two hours, that's assuming you arent; rolling in sand, sweating, swimming etc. So really its more like every hour and when going in and out of pools (even if waterproof).

You will burn even if you apply spf 50+ sunscreen every hour.

This thread pretty much sums up the problem with suncreen and these parents anecdotes lol.
Edited by: "catbeans" 3rd Jul
joesmum45 m ago

they start on 9th July

27th June
joesmum1 h, 3 m ago

they start on 9th July

Nope it’s regional. Ayrshire broke up already. Aberdeen is this Friday.
You can take any of these types of post with a pinch of salt as we have no way of knowing if it’s just the parent didn’t apply it correctly.

Sad that someone connect to the site has posted it until it’s an actual confirmed issue with the product or Asda do an actual recall. How many of the non stories go around each year for hair dye because people don’t do a patch test.

Saw a post on Facebook the other day which said person had gone bankrupt because they used hotukdeals bet that wouldn’t be posted.
catbeans1 h, 19 m ago

Thats not really how it works either, Sunscreen no matter the factor …Thats not really how it works either, Sunscreen no matter the factor should be applied every two hours, that's assuming you arent; rolling in sand, sweating, swimming etc. So really its more like every hour and when going in and out of pools (even if waterproof). You will burn even if you apply spf 50+ sunscreen every hour.This thread pretty much sums up the problem with suncreen and these parents anecdotes lol.

What’s not how it works? Read it back, I already wrote it’s good to re apply inbetween. So if it’s SPF30 that’s meant to last 3 hours re apply inbetween those 3 hours to stay on top. Also it takes about 20 minutes to soak into the the skin as the skin has many layers to get through and UV rays penetrate deep into the skin not just the surface. I don’t know what part of what I wrote doesn’t work , I dont mean that to sound rude either incase that’s how it comes across
Edited by: "jayonline85" 3rd Jul
LemonHead3rd Jul

Yeah, this is a fiercely debated topic.I'm not a parent though what is …Yeah, this is a fiercely debated topic.I'm not a parent though what is probably needed is a call for a balance between education and family life.However, some might also argue tthat even one day off can be disruptive, and that term-time holidays can have a lasting impact on learning.

I would like to see families entitled to a week off for a family holiday but they should also be given work to learn whilst they are away. Atleast the main lessons like maths, English and science. Things like R.E are unnecessary to our family but we have no choice because of the school she is in.

What about all the people who can’t afford to pay £4,000 for a holiday that’s worth £1500 a week before. Should they never be able to go on a nice holiday until he kids are out of school? It’s not that difficult really, the system knows how much money can be made from the parents who keep their kids off. They charge both parents per child per day off. Disgusting
eslick49 m ago

You can take any of these types of post with a pinch of salt as we have no …You can take any of these types of post with a pinch of salt as we have no way of knowing if it’s just the parent didn’t apply it correctly. Sad that someone connect to the site has posted it until it’s an actual confirmed issue with the product or Asda do an actual recall. How many of the non stories go around each year for hair dye because people don’t do a patch test.Saw a post on Facebook the other day which said person had gone bankrupt because they used hotukdeals bet that wouldn’t be posted.

Asda have commented and said they are looking into it if you click the original news source. They have taken it off sale too as a precaution. I’m sure you’d want to know if you were using it and 11 people said it wasn’t working especially where children are involved. It’s up to you to make your own informed decision just making people aware.
Same thing happened with the little angels nappies not long ago a premature baby had chemical burns off them when they changed their production. They were withdrawn but not recalled - just letting people know
bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-40711191
Edited by: "emribena" 3rd Jul
jayonline851 h, 20 m ago

What’s not how it works? Read it back, I already wrote it’s good to re app …What’s not how it works? Read it back, I already wrote it’s good to re apply inbetween. So if it’s SPF30 that’s meant to last 3 hours re apply inbetween those 3 hours to stay on top. Also it takes about 20 minutes to soak into the the skin as the skin has many layers to get through and UV rays penetrate deep into the skin not just the surface. I don’t know what part of what I wrote doesn’t work , I dont mean that to sound rude either incase that’s how it comes across

"So if unprotected skin took about 10 minutes to show burning signs SPF 30 would multiply this number by 30. 10 x 30 = 300 minutes of protection". SPF 15 isnt designed to last 3 hrs regardless of what it says on the bottle the SPF has nothing to do with how long it stays on the skin, your post makes it seem like does, i kust dont want people to get the wrong idea.
emribena43 m ago

Asda have commented and said they are looking into it if you click the …Asda have commented and said they are looking into it if you click the original news source. They have taken it off sale too as a precaution. I’m sure you’d want to know if you were using it and 11 people said it wasn’t working especially where children are involved. It’s up to you to make your own informed decision just making people aware. Same thing happened with the little angels nappies not long ago a premature baby had chemical burns off them when they changed their production. They were withdrawn but not recalled - just letting people know bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-40711191

What Asda actually said “We are confident in the quality of our sun cream and are running the necessary checks on the sun lotion that Ms Hadley returned so that we can fully address her concerns. After seeing Ms Trett’s post on Facebook we’re also trying to get in touch with her so we can understand more about her experience.”

It’s still here say and one of those stories that do the rounds every year and sadly every time with the exception of the recent Malibu story never proven to be the cream. If we were to make our informed decision based on no facts but no actual evidence, that the product is faulty then it would simply be because we were frightened rather than facts. at present you could spend say £20 in a bottle of 5 star rated and put it on like this parent did and get the same results.

if you apply sunscreen properly and kept an eye on your kids you would know they were burning and do something about it.

The story you quoted seems to have been an individual reaction to the product sadly and I know from experience with my daughter with medication which has been proven, these things do happen more than anyone would want to know.

which.co.uk/new…es/

we could fill pages on here with here say and gossip every single day
Edited by: "eslick" 3rd Jul
catbeans20 m ago

"So if unprotected skin took about 10 minutes to show burning signs SPF 30 …"So if unprotected skin took about 10 minutes to show burning signs SPF 30 would multiply this number by 30. 10 x 30 = 300 minutes of protection". SPF 15 isnt designed to last 3 hrs regardless of what it says on the bottle the SPF has nothing to do with how long it stays on the skin, your post makes it seem like does, i kust dont want people to get the wrong idea.

Isn’t SPF determining how long the skin is protected for? So if your unprotected skin takes 10 minutes to burn you multiply that number by the number on your SPF and that is a rough idea on how long your skin is protected for if you don’t manage to rub it off or go in water. So 10 minutes unprotected burn time x SPF 15 should be 150 minutes protecting. 10 minutes x SPF 300 minutes and so on. And like you said, always re apply.
How long where the kids in the sun I wonder? Was they in shade midday? Was cream re applied after pool time? Did they apply before leaving room?
Or were the parents tweeting or posting Instagram pics to everyone back home to make them “well gel” from poolside whilst sipping on there £10 cocktail!:/
ASongOfFireAndIce3rd Jul

How long where the kids in the sun I wonder? Was they in shade midday? Was …How long where the kids in the sun I wonder? Was they in shade midday? Was cream re applied after pool time? Did they apply before leaving room?Or were the parents tweeting or posting Instagram pics to everyone back home to make them “well gel” from poolside whilst sipping on there £10 cocktail!:/

Loving the irony. You can't differentiate between "their" and "there", or "was" and "were", yet you still manage to somehow turn your nose up at those who write "well gel".
Is this an example of D>E snobbery?
No I’m rubbish at English I don’t doubt that! And I am just stating what I see with my own eyes!
Snobbery the complete opposite!
jayonline852 h, 14 m ago

Isn’t SPF determining how long the skin is protected for? So if your u …Isn’t SPF determining how long the skin is protected for? So if your unprotected skin takes 10 minutes to burn you multiply that number by the number on your SPF and that is a rough idea on how long your skin is protected for if you don’t manage to rub it off or go in water. So 10 minutes unprotected burn time x SPF 15 should be 150 minutes protecting. 10 minutes x SPF 300 minutes and so on. And like you said, always re apply.

SPF is just how powerful the protection is, how much radiation it blocks, but you are still in the sun burning. Different products stop working, are absorbed, rub off, sweat off, different skin types, skin tones, how easily your skin tans, time of day etc. Even with factor 30+ you should still avoid being in the sun too long. I have seen what you are talking about a few places but it just isnt true.
Edited by: "catbeans" 3rd Jul
more like moronic parents, blaming suncream
master1011 h, 24 m ago

Doesn’t matter how good the SPF is, young children should not be out in the sun on the hottest part of the day. They will burn which is normal as their skin has very little protection even with sun screen on. The sun cream only provides minimal protection regardless of the SPF. The only people that need to be investigated is the parents for stupidity.
I was told you should buy suncream in the country you are in. Apparently the factor applies to the selling country.
Don't know how true that is, but i wasn't told by someone trying to sell me any.
The key is, ASDA, "A spokesperson for Asda said: “All Asda sun cream is independently tested to the highest industry standards and is labelled with clear usage guidelines, which are especially important to follow in this hot weather."

The spokesperson never ever produced to a reporter any actual independently test report.

When do you read ever news that a spokesperson says, "I have real laboratory test reports, I shall send you these to substantiate what I say."

How often do your ever read, a new reporter says, "I asked for test reports, and ..."
Edited by: "splender" 4th Jul
joesmum16 h, 38 m ago

they start on 9th July

Not all, some started on June 29th
well at least we found out that plenty dont even know what the spf actually means
I have recently bought the asda spf50+ suncream for my children. The weather has been quite hot recently and neither of my chn have burnt! Even when running around the park and splash pool, but then again maybe I'm just paranoid about sunburn and skin damage and apply frequently! I will continue to use unless there is a recall.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants