Groups
    EXPIRED

Kids Party Help?

Ok so I have given in and we are having a party at home for my daughter (5) for her birthday.

Around 20 kids from 3-10yrs

Any tips? Never done the whole party thing before as she is my eldest.

We have booked a bouncy castle. Would be greatful for any advice fellow parents may have, party game ideas, what food to do etc.

Thank You

Ps... Its a two hour party, I was thinking along the lines of 1hr bouncy castle play, party games then food?.

Will the garden and conservatory be enough space? (Very big garden around 15ftx10ft conservatory)

23 Comments

Keep them in the garden where possible, once one is in they will all want to come in. Lay out seats, blankets, etc to keep them outside. The adults camp out in the conservatory along with the booze. Maybe organise some music outside. (local radio, with a birthday mention usually goes down well)

Regarding the food, have done loads of parties with all the sandwiches etc, none of which gets eaten, only the cakes. We now do mainly junk food parties, although not healthy and pc correct the kids love it.

p.s it won't go to any sort of plan, 5 year olds don't do plans. Just let them do what they want.(within reason)

Do the food first, otherwise they'll not come off the castle. Although, that may make for a little regurgitation... Just do loads of nibbles. Sausage rolls, pineapple on sticks, that kind of stuff - you can still make it healthy - but they won't eat sarnies.

Make your own food and get loads of party stuff from ]here

If you get a pinata, get a pull string one and fill it with sweets etc.

I usually have the food on a big rug in the middle of the floor and pack sarnies etc in a box (available from PartyPieces). I usually also do food for the adults - simple buffet stuff, and booze/soft drinks.

Bouncy castle is a good idea. I would also put a laminated sign up (and let people know beforehand) that their children are THEIR responsibility. You know what it's like these days with the blame and compo culture.

Have fun!:)

just keep an eye on the bouncy castle

telegraph.co.uk/new…tml

Be prepared for rain, finger food is always good, party bags are cool but its depends on your costs all the extras do add up. You could go for a proper meal like sausage and bean stew etc

Foxy102;8236004

Make your own food and get loads of party stuff from ]hereIf you get a … Make your own food and get loads of party stuff from ]hereIf you get a pinata, get a pull string one and fill it with sweets etc.I usually have the food on a big rug in the middle of the floor and pack sarnies etc in a box (available from PartyPieces). I usually also do food for the adults - simple buffet stuff, and booze/soft drinks.Bouncy castle is a good idea. I would also put a laminated sign up (and let people know beforehand) that their children are THEIR responsibility. You know what it's like these days with the blame and compo culture.Have fun!:)

Crikey. I wouldn't want to get sued... hmm. I'm thinking now of padded room parties. What can go wrong in there??

Alfonse;8236009

just keep an eye on the bouncy … just keep an eye on the bouncy castlehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1938331/Bouncy-castle-payout-threatens-childrens-parties.htmlBe prepared for rain, finger food is always good, party bags are cool but its depends on your costs all the extras do add up. You could go for a proper meal like sausage and bean stew etc

Sounds great! A proper dinner. Fish and chips... yum. Can I come!?

Penny Saver;8236020

Crikey. I wouldn't want to get sued... hmm. I'm thinking now of padded … Crikey. I wouldn't want to get sued... hmm. I'm thinking now of padded room parties. What can go wrong in there??

Crazy ain't it?

Penny Saver;8236026

Sounds great! A proper dinner. Fish and chips... yum. Can I come!?

well for my daughter's 2nd b-day i did a whole salmon with rice and salad, and a fairy tea party with an array of food goodies

nb I should have said the sausage and bean stew is cowboy food if you go for a theme.

Regarding the telegraph article... talk about asking for trouble...

"The judge said although Mrs Perry was present throughout, her attention was diverted as she supervised a bungee run for the party. "

Foxy102;8236052

Crazy ain't it?

It hadn't even occurred to me. My brother always had bouncy castle parties. I was born in winter, so I had panto parties. I was so jealous. I can't wait for my three to get a bit bigger and have proper parties, but the fear of being sued, or worse, actually having someone die or get seriously injured whilst on my property?! Definitely a NO NO. We;ll be booking the local leisure centre or swimming pool. At least then we're not entirely to blame.

OP seriously think it through before having 20 kids coming to your home! I first done that when my son was 5 and OMG it was a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We also had a bouncy castle but as someone else said its impossible to keep them all outside and then it rained!!!!!!!!!! So we had them all inside and my house was turned upside down!

Every year since we have paid £40 for the local community centre which has its own bouncy castle and just brought our own cakes and things and so stress free compared to that party in our home!!!! My son is 11 now and so not cool to have these types of parties anymore lol but secretly I know he would love to still go onto the bouncy castle!

Have a lovely day!

bossyboots;8236096

OP seriously think it through before having 20 kids coming to your home! … OP seriously think it through before having 20 kids coming to your home! I first done that when my son was 5 and OMG it was a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We also had a bouncy castle but as someone else said its impossible to keep them all outside and then it rained!!!!!!!!!! So we had them all inside and my house was turned upside down!Every year since we have paid £40 for the local community centre which has its own bouncy castle and just brought our own cakes and things and so stress free compared to that party in our home!!!! My son is 11 now and so not cool to have these types of parties anymore lol but secretly I know he would love to still go onto the bouncy castle!Have a lovely day!

yeah can be difficult agreed, another way to do it is to make the parents stay, works wonders and makes for a nice situation to meet the parents etc plus they can supervise little johnny themselves

Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice rep on the way shorly, too late to have it elsewhere invites are out and its in just under 2 weeks, bouncy castle comes with a rain cover and we have a gazebo so hoping to maybe keep them out as long as poss even if it rains (I hope)

Not too worried about the number of kids as atleast four of them are 9+ and will want to help no doubt.

As for party bags, I just spend £10 on ebay on cheapy toys and going to get a few bags of sweets from £land to split to put in the bags.

I am just panicking about space inside for the food and the party games! Wish I did book a hall now :lol:

if all else fails have a massive chocolate bar up for grabs in a 2 hour long game of sleeping lions............lol

bossyboots;8236096

OP seriously think it through before having 20 kids coming to your home! … OP seriously think it through before having 20 kids coming to your home! I first done that when my son was 5 and OMG it was a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We also had a bouncy castle but as someone else said its impossible to keep them all outside and then it rained!!!!!!!!!! So we had them all inside and my house was turned upside down!Every year since we have paid £40 for the local community centre which has its own bouncy castle and just brought our own cakes and things and so stress free compared to that party in our home!!!! My son is 11 now and so not cool to have these types of parties anymore lol but secretly I know he would love to still go onto the bouncy castle!Have a lovely day!

+1 - that's what I did when they got to 4 or 5 and had loads of friends to invite from school/nursery. Done the house party thing when they were 1 and 2 - never again! So much easier to hire a cheap hall especially if you get the bouncy castle etc. Chuck some food at them halfway through and maybe do some pass the parcel etc. Keep the juice going too. Plenty music in background and they just run around and amuse themselves anyway

Also some parents just dump their kids on you and leave - so be prepared for that too.

One thing I would suggest is moving as many smaller toys as you can upstairs (obviously leaving big outdoor toys out for them to play with etc) and totally declare her bedroom off limits.

1. With that many kids her bedroom will be trashed and she could get upset (plus more for you to clean afterwards!)

2. 20 kids fighting over 1 barbie doll is never a pretty sight

3. If shes got something new for her birthday she may get upset if she turns around to find someone else playing with it before shes got a chance to play with it properly.

If you are going to have some toys inside for them to play with, talk with her beforehand and let her help pick which ones she doesnt mind sharing.

Food wise, with 20 kids there is bound to be at least 1 with some sort of allergy. If there is, ask the parents to bring a little party tea for them - I was allergic to dairy when I was younger and this was what my parents did (without being told to!)

Other than that, good for you! I had birthday parties in kids play areas etc (all of which cost more money!) but the ones I really remember are the ones I had at home. Funnily enough, they were the earlier ones too!

At that age if any parents are going to leave them make sure you get contact numbers - just in case!

From my experience i wouldnt organise too many games - they soon tire of it and with 20 odd it may get a little messy and take too long. If you do pass the parcel maybe have 2 going round (as long as you have parents helping to keep watch!)

We always have the parties at my parents place. It's pretty big with a massive log cabin where the kids can play. He had locks fitted on all the internal doors last year so no kids can rummage about!

ive never had a problem getting the squids to eat sarnies, just buy some cookie cutters and do them all different shapes, chocolate spread teddy bears and dairylea dinosaurs were a huge hit at my little ones last party and there's no crusts to leave

also, bit iffy on the safety side but, get some wooden kebab skewers and do fruit kebabs, strawberries, marshmallows, pineapple etc. I did this with cherry toms, cucumber and cheese too but be careful which cheese you get otherwise it will just split when you stick the skewer in :-)

Original Poster

fantastic advice here thank you all so much, after the bouncy castle hire, party bags and food would have been cheaper at a wacky no doubt :lol:

I bought some medals and prizes from asda, was thinking of a 'best dancer' comp and musical statues and maybe pass the parcel, does that sound lame?

My living room will be off limits too.Luciky my toilet is downstairs off my kitchen, so am shutting the living room door so they cant rumage through my house :lol:

My son had a bouncy castle for his 3rd birthday with lo's up to age 6 & they weren't interested in party games at all, you couldn't get them off the castle so I'd keep the games to a minimum. The 2 hours soon passes. As for drinks I usually buy the little calypso cups from asda about £2.xx for 24 rather than fizzy but that's personal preference We usually just leave the food on the table uncovered and they help themselves whenever but other parties we've been too have kept the food covered until about 45mins before the end when they eat then sing happy birthday etc.

I'd skip the party games, too. Especially pass the parcel!

I've seen kids get up and walk away while it's still going.

We have always done hotdogs (chipolatas) and then the usual cakes etc for all of our parties. Much easier than sandwiches or anything else and the children love them. Might also be worth looking at local entertainers just to take the pressure off and they don't have to be that expensive. Have a great party and good luck.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1020
    2. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1536
    3. word association Game72944192
    4. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277963

See more discussions