Groups

Kids should get the election day off school

Not fare that schools which act as polling stations close today, lucky little ****, give all the schools the day off might encourage more to vote anyway if they have a day off work to look after the kids.

Top comments

Yeah. That's what most kids need. More time off from school. oO

Or, they could stop using schools as polling stations altogether.

Hypocritical that my children have to go to school or else i will be fined, except when it's inconvenient for the government.

Hey just a thought but why not do the bleeding obvious
    and have the election on a Sunday

Easy enough to say for parent(s) who don't have to work for a living

Meanwhile, back in the real world op....
    39 Comments

Yeah. That's what most kids need. More time off from school. oO

You honestly think employers will just let everyone have the day off ? That is so not going to work

Over the past two years I think I've spent more time in my old School Hall voting than I ever did when I was actually at school.

psychobitchfromhell

You honestly think employers will just let everyone have the day off ? … You honestly think employers will just let everyone have the day off ? That is so not going to work

​if jezza wins maybe he'll add another bank hol onto the 4 promised.
    or maybe an Abbott day, when responsibility gets too much you have a day of leisure.

Or, they could stop using schools as polling stations altogether.

Hypocritical that my children have to go to school or else i will be fined, except when it's inconvenient for the government.

Original Poster

freakstyler

Over the past two years I think I've spent more time in my old School … Over the past two years I think I've spent more time in my old School Hall voting than I ever did when I was actually at school.

I should hope so too, kids aren't allowed to vote

Except we don't automatically get the day off just because the school is closed for the elections. (_;)

Original Poster

miikeyblue

Or, they could stop using schools as polling stations … Or, they could stop using schools as polling stations altogether.Hypocritical that my children have to go to school or else i will be fined, except when it's inconvenient for the government.

Mine did as well, but someone at the school told me they'd be off wotk today because the one they worked in was closed for use as a polling station today, i was rather surprised, dure i had heard of school halls being used but i assumed they just closed them off for the day and got on with school business confined to classes

Some people.......

Hey just a thought but why not do the bleeding obvious
    and have the election on a Sunday

Easy enough to say for parent(s) who don't have to work for a living

Meanwhile, back in the real world op....

schools should not be closed for polling station use .
    KIDS SHOULD BE IN SCHOOL

oh and your spelling of fair is wrong !

Error440

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Not fare that schools which act as polling … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Not fare that schools which act as polling stations close today, lucky little ****, give all the schools the day off might encourage more to vote anyway if they have a day off work to look after the kids.\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

Sound like very much like taking an unauthorised holiday as outcome to me. A child learns nothing .
    Supreme Court judgment “Unauthorised absences have a disruptive effect, not only on the education of the individual child but also on the work of other pupils.

“If one pupil can be taken out whenever it suits the parent, then so can others ... Any educational system expects people to keep the rules. Not to do so is unfair to those obedient parents who do keep the rules, whatever the costs or inconvenience to themselves.”verbatim, "
    And if it could be rephrased as day off for elections:-
    “Authorised absences have a disruptive effect, not only on the education of the individual child but also on the work of other pupils.

“If one day can be taken out whenever it suits the Local Authority, then so can others ... Any educational system expects people to keep the rules. Not to do so is unfair to those obedient parents who do keep the rules, whatever the costs or inconvenience to themselves.”

Wongy110

Hey just a thought but why not do the bleeding obvious and have the … Hey just a thought but why not do the bleeding obvious and have the election on a Sunday

Election Day - UK

aw08

schools should not be closed for polling station use . KIDS SHOULD BE IN … schools should not be closed for polling station use . KIDS SHOULD BE IN SCHOOL oh and your spelling of fair is wrong !

Sounds exactly like that Supreme Court decision in April is wasted really on people who mix up "fair" and "fare", they may as well go on unauthorised holidays if attendance everyday still gets "fair" as "fare".

It happens in Glasgow but only recently. Still doesn't increase turnout.

Original Poster

splender

Sounds exactly like that Supreme Court decision in April is wasted really … Sounds exactly like that Supreme Court decision in April is wasted really on people who mix up "fair" and "fare", they may as well go on unauthorised holidays if attendance everyday still gets "fair" as "fare".

I never went to school actually smart **** wasn't mandatory in my day, i learned to add up with a tub of pennies and an abacus

both my kids primary and secondary schools are polling stations but the schools were open as usual. the way the schools are set up voters can't access any area of the school other than the voting room/hall.

Error440

I never went to school actually smart **** wasn't mandatory in my day, … I never went to school actually smart **** wasn't mandatory in my day, i learned to add up with a tub of pennies and an abacus

​was abbot in your maths class or corbyn present at creative writing?

Error440

I never went to school actually smart **** wasn't mandatory in my day, … I never went to school actually smart **** wasn't mandatory in my day, i learned to add up with a tub of pennies and an abacus

In before fp points out pennies were introduced in 1971 and at that point schooling was mandatory.... X)

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

In before fp points out pennies were introduced in 1971 and at that point … In before fp points out pennies were introduced in 1971 and at that point schooling was mandatory.... X)

Going to a school wasn't

Just wanna throw this in there, kids that will be 18 this year should be allowed to vote aswell. Unfair if someone was born in Jan and can vote, but someone else born in August and can't vote.

Rid17 m ago

Just wanna throw this in there, kids that will be 18 this year should be …Just wanna throw this in there, kids that will be 18 this year should be allowed to vote aswell. Unfair if someone was born in Jan and can vote, but someone else born in August and can't vote.

Then it would be unfair on those who were born on 1st January 2000.

Where would it end? Is it unfair that my sperm can't vote?

Wongy110

Hey just a thought but why not do the bleeding obvious and have the … Hey just a thought but why not do the bleeding obvious and have the election on a Sunday

There is a legitimate reason why voting doesn't happen on a Sunday because in the past it was thought that you could be influenced by the church or a paster before going to vote. Strange but true I guess back then times were different and voting on a Friday never happened because the working man used to be paid on a Friday and go for a pint so might end up forgetting to vote. So Thursday has been traditionally voting day for quite some time

Rid1

Just wanna throw this in there, kids that will be 18 this year should be … Just wanna throw this in there, kids that will be 18 this year should be allowed to vote aswell. Unfair if someone was born in Jan and can vote, but someone else born in August and can't vote.

Got to have a cut off somewhere, might as well be on age.

Rubisco1 h, 3 m ago

Then it would be unfair on those who were born on 1st January 2000.Where …Then it would be unfair on those who were born on 1st January 2000.Where would it end? Is it unfair that my sperm can't vote?

Not really since they were born in the next year... People who were born after June in 1999 can't vote while the people in the same year can.

g8spur17 m ago

What should be the cut off is people who don't vote.

Rid16 m ago

Not really since they were born in the next year... People who were born …Not really since they were born in the next year... People who were born after June in 1999 can't vote while the people in the same year can.

What's the year got to do with anything? It's just as arbitrary. Why not have the new financial year or the new academic year as the cut-off point?

Or polls should be done on a weekend in my opinion. The majority of people are less likely to be working, and all of the schools will be free to use as polling stations.

A side note, why on earth hasnt the law been changed to enable online voting?? It would encourage so many people who are either too busy or cant be bothered to go to the polling station and/or have forgotten to postal vote.

This is 2017 - voting is the last thing that hasnt been moved online, and theres no reason it cant be done online!

Original Poster

118luke

Or polls should be done on a weekend in my opinion. The majority of … Or polls should be done on a weekend in my opinion. The majority of people are less likely to be working, and all of the schools will be free to use as polling stations.A side note, why on earth hasnt the law been changed to enable online voting?? It would encourage so many people who are either too busy or cant be bothered to go to the polling station and/or have forgotten to postal vote.This is 2017 - voting is the last thing that hasnt been moved online, and theres no reason it cant be done online!

Too easy to fix it or hack it

Error440

Going to a school wasn't

Well that worked out fantastically for you didn't it! X) How is the job search going? (_;)

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Well that worked out fantastically for you didn't it! X) How is the job … Well that worked out fantastically for you didn't it! X) How is the job search going? (_;)

Its going swimmingly my dear, and I'm getting loads of help and support from lots of lovely people.

Error440

Its going swimmingly my dear, and I'm getting loads of help and support … Its going swimmingly my dear, and I'm getting loads of help and support from lots of lovely people.

Your welcome. Spend my tax money wisely.

Rubisco

Then it would be unfair on those who were born on 1st January 2000.Where … Then it would be unfair on those who were born on 1st January 2000.Where would it end? Is it unfair that my sperm can't vote?

g8spur

What's this issue here? You have to be 18 to vote. If you're not 18 you can't vote. Looks pretty straightforward to me.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Your welcome. Spend my tax money wisely.

You're

wouldnt it be easier like in some countries to make it a national holiday?

I complained about 10 years ago that our eldest school was closed when there was plenty of other places closer where they could be used for polling stations I was told that in 3 years time there would be a consultation with local residents on the sites of stations. Guess what in the last 10 years there has been no consultation and it mysteriously the use of schools got extended for another 10 years.

miikeyblue

You're

She certainly is not welcome! So I'll stick to your welcome along with my tax money. She is already taking the michael so she may as well take welcome as well! X)

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

She certainly is not welcome! So I'll stick to your welcome along with my … She certainly is not welcome! So I'll stick to your welcome along with my tax money. She is already taking the michael so she may as well take welcome as well! X)

Thank you my dear, good will to all men etc tis the season to be jolly we have a hung parliament X)

118luke

Or polls should be done on a weekend in my opinion. The majority of … Or polls should be done on a weekend in my opinion. The majority of people are less likely to be working, and all of the schools will be free to use as polling stations.A side note, why on earth hasnt the law been changed to enable online voting?? It would encourage so many people who are either too busy or cant be bothered to go to the polling station and/or have forgotten to postal vote.This is 2017 - voting is the last thing that hasnt been moved online, and theres no reason it cant be done online!

our area was part of a pilot as far back as 2003, we could do it online via text even and on electronic booths as well. If we can make banking systems secure there really should be no problem with making e voting possible, the banks have a system where they talk to each other and its never been hacked so it is possible. Though from what I remember the biggest issue wasn't hacking back in 2003 it was party members getting people to register to vote online by "helping" them to fill the forms in and even voting for them and not for the actual party the person wanted to vote for.

deeky

What's this issue here? You have to be 18 to vote. If you're not 18 you … What's this issue here? You have to be 18 to vote. If you're not 18 you can't vote. Looks pretty straightforward to me.

but it's not fair, I'll squeem and squeem until I'm sick.​
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions