Kindle Advice

Found 11th Aug 2017
Wife is going in to hospital next week and thinking of getting her a kindle. We just came back off holiday and we felt she could have benefited for one back then. We've not had a kindle before, so posting here to ask are they really worth it, if so what model is best to get, where is the cheapest, and what accessories if any would be useful.
tia

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments

I'm no expert on kindles, but I love my paper white. It has an illuminated display so can be used in the dark and doesn't strain eyes. Battery life is immense on them, i find kindles to be very slick and easy to find books on. There's a few websites you can sign up to aswell that alert you when a book by your fav author or within your fav genre is on sale or reduced.

Hope your wife gets better soon.

My wife loves reading books and was unsure if she would like the kindle but I went ahead and got her one a few years ago
She hasn't purchased a real book since!
She is on her second kindle now which is mid range one, paperweight I think it's called with special offers (has advertisement here and there non intrusive and don't come up when your reading a book)
As she hasn't used a kindle I would not go for the voyage it's quite pricey..
Normally doing deals on Amazon so would start there
I would recommend the case I if I recall it's comes with a USB charger and plug though can plug it into any of the USB plugs we have loads of the Apple and Samsung ones
If your a prime customer you get free books and can borrow 1 of the paid books a time as well so rarely have to buy any for it !
Edited by: "dickypreston" 11th Aug 2017

I have a kindle which I both love and hate in equal measures I have a fire which I know I could update to Android but the instructions to do so are beyond me. I have laptop which sits in the corner unused because it doesn't respond the way my kindle does yet I hate my kindle therefore I bought the laptop. I think the answer is go with whatever suits you

I have an iPad mini and have my kindle on there, I love it as it is much more versatile than the basic kindle I started with. Kindle is fantastic when travelling as I get through so many books. Depends what you want to spend and what she needs it for, good to do your research before purchasing.

There's also Kindle Unlimited from Amazon, which gives you access to about a million books for a £7.99 subscription a month. There's a free trial for the first month or two weeks so you could download a few to read in hospital and then cancel before you get charged

Original Poster

Cakeboy7927 m ago

There's also Kindle Unlimited from Amazon, which gives you access to about …There's also Kindle Unlimited from Amazon, which gives you access to about a million books for a £7.99 subscription a month. There's a free trial for the first month or two weeks so you could download a few to read in hospital and then cancel before you get charged

Brilliant, cheers this seems ideal...... now just got to work out which kindle version is best value, think the paperwhite is because of the light, and where the best deal for one is.

Cex sell the Paperwhite which come with 2 year warranty: uk.webuy.com/sea…on=

Love my kindle, haven't purchased a real book since i got it! Bought mine from CEX, luckily came fully boxed in mint condition and was about half the price of a new one.

dickypreston1 h, 53 m ago

My wife loves reading books and was unsure if she would like the kindle …My wife loves reading books and was unsure if she would like the kindle but I went ahead and got her one a few years ago She hasn't purchased a real book since! She is on her second kindle now which is mid range one, paperweight I think it's called with special offers (has advertisement here and there non intrusive and don't come up when your reading a book)As she hasn't used a kindle I would not go for the voyage it's quite pricey..Normally doing deals on Amazon so would start thereI would recommend the case I if I recall it's comes with a USB charger and plug though can plug it into any of the USB plugs we have loads of the Apple and Samsung ones If your a prime customer you get free books and can borrow 1 of the paid books a time as well so rarely have to buy any for it !

If you jump on Amazon live chat and say you are finding the ads intrusive and it makes you avoid using your kindle they will remove them for you for free.

Original Poster

bobdylan1 h, 49 m ago

Cex sell the Paperwhite which come with 2 year warranty: …Cex sell the Paperwhite which come with 2 year warranty: https://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=paperwhite§ion=

i've seen amazon warehouse also have a couple around the £87 mark.
Do you happen know what gen the latest one is, the one with the light?

You can use a kindle fire for reading if it's only going to be used indoors, it's the cheapest option, install Moon+ Reader and you can get your books from any source you like

Be aware that Kindle is a walled garden, you won't be able to buy from some ebooks stores and it's likely your local library's ebook collection won't be usable.

You're better off looking at an alternative if you're unhappy with the idea of having to buy all your books from Amazon. Kobo is the biggest seller in the UK, but I believe Pocketbook is quite popular in Europe.

EndlessWaves25 m ago

Be aware that Kindle is a walled garden, you won't be able to buy from …Be aware that Kindle is a walled garden, you won't be able to buy from some ebooks stores and it's likely your local library's ebook collection won't be usable. You're better off looking at an alternative if you're unhappy with the idea of having to buy all your books from Amazon. Kobo is the biggest seller in the UK, but I believe Pocketbook is quite popular in Europe.

There are many ways to send ebooks to your kindle though, you can even email them to your kindle, Amazon even provides a simple solution.

amazon.com/gp/…/pc

4Real201610 m ago

There are many ways to send ebooks to your kindle though, you can even …There are many ways to send ebooks to your kindle though, you can even email them to your kindle, Amazon even provides a simple solution.https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/pc

But unless they've changed it in the last couple of years Amazon are still refusing the licence the most common DRM so it only works for ebooks without copy protection unless you use more dubious methods.

Personally I'd rather just buy from a company working to the common standard then having it's own walled garden. And have in fact, I own a Kobo Aura HD.

EndlessWaves1 h, 35 m ago

But unless they've changed it in the last couple of years Amazon are still …But unless they've changed it in the last couple of years Amazon are still refusing the licence the most common DRM so it only works for ebooks without copy protection unless you use more dubious methods.Personally I'd rather just buy from a company working to the common standard then having it's own walled garden. And have in fact, I own a Kobo Aura HD.

Yeah but its simple to overcome, there's even a plugin for Calibre which removes DRM on import. Highly recommend Calibre if you have a ebook device.

I get your point though about the convenience of owning something like a Kobo, however its not that inconvenient to download from their online site, you can do it all through Calibre.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 11th Aug 2017

4Real20161 h, 16 m ago

Yeah but its simple to overcome, there's even a plugin for Calibre which …Yeah but its simple to overcome, there's even a plugin for Calibre which removes DRM on import. Highly recommend Calibre if you have a ebook device.I get your point though about the convenience of owning something like a Kobo, however its not that inconvenient to download from their online site, you can do it all through Calibre.

What plugin do you use? | tried one the other day and it didn't remove the DRM and I had to resort to other methods

The one that comes with DeDRM Tools, not used it for ages though. Make sure its installed properly and supports the files your using. You can get help on its main site in the comments or on github.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants