Kindle on phone

Found 8th Jan 2011
Is it possible to put Books that you would read using a kindle HTC Wildfire phone ?
I'm thinking of buying the Misses a Kindle next month for her Birthday but wanted to see how it would look on the phone first.I've downloaded a Folder that contains around 400 Books & the File is MOBI File.Would this work if I just install it on to the phone or even if I was to go & buy a kindle today would this work.I hear people saying something about ePub but not sure if I need this.Any help more than welcome for this Confused.com Member.

32 Comments

theres an official kindle app in Android marketplace

Original Poster

harlzter

theres an official kindle app in Android marketplace

Can you give me more info harlzter & do I need a software programme for the HTC Wildfire ?

Go onto marketplace, search kindle, download and install, job done. Now login to kindle (set account up if needed) search books, download read and fap.
Edited by: "harlzter" 8th Jan 2011

On Orange San Francisco there is a kindle folder once the app is installed. HOWEVER for reading my own books as opposed to amazon bought books I use an app called Stanza (this is on an iphone but abndroid version available I think) which is far far superior and not tied to amazon (it also reads many different formats)

if you need to alter file formats use calibre software which is free!!

Original Poster

harlzter

Go onto marketplace, search kindle, download and install, job done. Now … Go onto marketplace, search kindle, download and install, job done. Now login to kindle (set account up if needed) search books, download read and fap.

So once I download "WhatsThePoints" Link for the Android I can then Vies these MOBI Files. ?

whatsThePoint

http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/amazon-kindle-software-for-more-dev/829721

Great Link bud thanks for that & added it to my bookmarks.

Original Poster

pontprennau

On Orange San Francisco there is a kindle folder once the app is … On Orange San Francisco there is a kindle folder once the app is installed. HOWEVER for reading my own books as opposed to amazon bought books I use an app called Stanza (this is on an iphone but abndroid version available I think) which is far far superior and not tied to amazon (it also reads many different formats) if you need to alter file formats use calibre software which is free!!

I don't want to be tied to Amazon & give them Money for something I can have for Free.(BTW's Free is my favourite number)
Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 8th Jan 2011

Best use Stanza then methinks!!

on a wildfire you are going to find the books really hard to read, and reading for extended periods especially on a screen that small combined with the type of screen it is can lead to eye strain. I wouldnt advise it.

The kindle uses an e-ink skreen which is easier on the eyes!

Don't think stanza is on android. Wordplayer is though.

Original Poster

Jetpac

on a wildfire you are going to find the books really hard to read, and … on a wildfire you are going to find the books really hard to read, and reading for extended periods especially on a screen that small combined with the type of screen it is can lead to eye strain. I wouldnt advise it.The kindle uses an e-ink skreen which is easier on the eyes!

looks like I'll just need to be the Kindle than,thanks guys for the Advice.

The somy ereader likes ePub as does the kindle. The actual kindle format is a renamed mobi file. On the kindle you can download any mobi file you want for free, drag it into the kindle like a USB stick and read it.

Why not try it with the phone version

Also all this garbage about the screen is too small to read isn't strictly true as you can change the size of the font

It's like reading a whole page of a normal book in bite sized chunks

I've got the kindle app on my Desire and it's great - no prob with the small screen making it hard to read - I read in bed under the duvet without having to put the lamp on - easy

WheresMeNuts

[quote=harlzter] Go onto marketplace, search kindle, download and … [quote=harlzter] Go onto marketplace, search kindle, download and install, job done. Now login to kindle (set account up if needed) search books, download read and fap.

So once I download "WhatsThePoints" Link for the Android I can then Vies these MOBI Files. ?

Ah my bad I didn't see the bit about being mobi files, there are plenty of converters out there that will change it in seconds to the file type of choice so they are all pretty much interchangeable.

Original Poster

cau96176

The somy ereader likes ePub as does the kindle. The actual kindle format … The somy ereader likes ePub as does the kindle. The actual kindle format is a renamed mobi file. On the kindle you can download any mobi file you want for free, drag it into the kindle like a USB stick and read it.Why not try it with the phone version

You got a link to android version so I can try on the HTC phone & then drag them in as you suggest.

Original Poster

Just tried using my iphone.I downloaded the Kindle from Amazon & can see it on the iphone.I then open up the books that I have on my PC.All the books are MOBI File & when I try to bring them in using iTunes it seems iTunes does not recognise the books at all.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong ?

WheresMeNuts

Just tried using my iphone.I downloaded the Kindle from Amazon & can see … Just tried using my iphone.I downloaded the Kindle from Amazon & can see it on the iphone.I then open up the books that I have on my PC.All the books are MOBI File & when I try to bring them in using iTunes it seems iTunes does not recognise the books at all.Anyone know where I'm going wrong ?

As I said previously YOU CANNOT DO THIS ON AN IPHONE.

Use Stanza!!!

Calibre is a good tool for converting e books

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

Just tried using my iphone.I downloaded the Kindle from Amazon & can see … Just tried using my iphone.I downloaded the Kindle from Amazon & can see it on the iphone.I then open up the books that I have on my PC.All the books are MOBI File & when I try to bring them in using iTunes it seems iTunes does not recognise the books at all.Anyone know where I'm going wrong ?

sancho1983

Calibre is a good tool for converting e books

I don't want to read them on-line as I have 1,000's of these books on my PC & want to just transfer from PC to the iphone so the wife can read them.Looking at Stanza it's telling me it's only for reading on-line ?

I don't think I need to Convert Sancho as the books are all in MOBI File.

Original Poster

Now downloaded Stanza & I can see it in iTunes but like Kindle it does nothing when I drag 1 of the Books to it.

WheresMeNuts

Now downloaded Stanza & I can see it in iTunes but like Kindle it does … Now downloaded Stanza & I can see it in iTunes but like Kindle it does nothing when I drag 1 of the Books to it.

Istall Stanza on Iphone,
plug the iPhone into the PC and in itunes select it under devices, in the right hand pane click "apps" look at Stanza in Itunes under file sharing on the phone/apps spot (it will show at the bottom of the screen) you can click it down there and there's an "add" button at the bottom. I think you can add mobi files, you can certainly ass AZW files from amazon and you can add epub files too.

It does it all!! Kindle for iPhone does NOTHING except read books you legitemately obtained via Amazon

Hope that helps!!

Original Poster

pontprennau

Istall Stanza on Iphone, plug the iPhone into the PC and in itunes select … Istall Stanza on Iphone, plug the iPhone into the PC and in itunes select it under devices, in the right hand pane click "apps" look at Stanza in Itunes under file sharing on the phone/apps spot (it will show at the bottom of the screen) you can click it down there and there's an "add" button at the bottom. I think you can add mobi files, you can certainly ass AZW files from amazon and you can add epub files too.It does it all!! Kindle for iPhone does NOTHING except read books you legitemately obtained via Amazon :)Hope that helps!!

I don't see Devices Tab ?
Here is some Screen shots of what I see on iTunes.
I have MOBI Files & also downloaded this ePub file & none of them seem to work.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/picture018.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/picture020.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/picture021.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/picture022.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/picture023.jpg
Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 9th Jan 2011

Devices is on the left hand side, under that you see your iphone. Click on your iphone and go to the apps page, scroll down and you will see sharing

cau96176

The somy ereader likes ePub as does the kindle. The actual kindle format … The somy ereader likes ePub as does the kindle. The actual kindle format is a renamed mobi file. On the kindle you can download any mobi file you want for free, drag it into the kindle like a USB stick and read it.Why not try it with the phone version

I'm not sure what you mean here as the Kindle doesn't support the epub format so it certainly doesn't 'like' that format. As mentioned above Calibre is a good piece of software which will convert epubs (and some other formats) to mobi which the Kindle does like as it can read this without conversion. I bought a Kindle for a friend for Christmas but beforehand downloaded the Kindle application for PC to experiment with book formats, I'd think that's easier than doing it on a phone.

John

Hope this helps you WheresMeNuts -
1. Go to the app store on your iphone and search for the stanza app. Install it
2. Sync your iphone with itunes.
3. Click on your iphone on the left hand side of itunes under "devices"
4. Across the top it will be on "Summary" change this to "Apps"
5. Scroll down until you see a section called "File Sharing"
6. Click the Stanza app and then simply drag your book files into the section called "Stanza Documents"

If your book files are not in ePub format you will need to use calibre to convert them, get it here calibre-ebook.com

The way your doing it by going to the books tab is for the apple app called 'ibooks'

Original Poster

dh058977

Devices is on the left hand side, under that you see your iphone. Click … Devices is on the left hand side, under that you see your iphone. Click on your iphone and go to the apps page, scroll down and you will see sharing

I managed to get the book on to the iphone & lots of the book says wrong format, But some of it I can read even if a little out of Focus.I've as you can see put all the book files for this 1 book in to itunes,But Do I need to put all the Files in or just 1 File ?

Also why can't I see Kindle in itunes ?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/picture024.jpg

Original Poster

WoW this calibre-ebook.com takes over a hour to Download wtf.

WheresMeNuts if your using Stanza then its only the epub file that you need to transfer over.

Original Poster

Yes that makes more sense & does that also give you Pictures etc if the book has any ?
I'm downloading that Converter but says over a hour & so tried again & still saying over a hour ,But will wait.
Thanks for the info bud.

WheresMeNuts

Yes that makes more sense & does that also give you Pictures etc if the … Yes that makes more sense & does that also give you Pictures etc if the book has any ?I'm downloading that Converter but says over a hour & so tried again & still saying over a hour ,But will wait.Thanks for the info bud.

Yeah gives you everything from the front cover onwards assuming the creator of the original file included them if that makes sense? No probs bud, happy to help

Original Poster

I've deleted all the other stuff that came with that book & it's working perfect on the phone,Thanks for the help dh.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone know where to buy cheap braided lightning cables for iPhone please?55
    2. Samsung S8 Case312
    3. Any recommend PC Speakers?36
    4. Any android box that will support android updates11

See more discussions