Kindle Paperwhite questions

Found 3rd Jan 2013
I bought a Kindle Paperwhite from ebay and I can't register it with the Amazon store, it's probably blacklisted from what I've read.
It was very cheap and now I know why!
I know I can get a refund, but is it worth keeping, can I get books on to it in other ways?

15 Comments

Banned

Torrents, and Calibre to convert them to Kindle format (mobi)

what error do you get when you try and register it ?
what settings have you made on the device ?
if you go to settings / registration does it have the previous owners info in there ?

This thread has a great guide on how to access over 2TB of free books, here is the guide (by Mikethemanc):

Mikethemanc

IRC GuideYou need an irc client installed. I use chatzilla (for Mozilla … IRC GuideYou need an irc client installed. I use chatzilla (for Mozilla firefox) as it's a small firefox add onbut any client will work. You can find chatzilla by searching for it on google.mIrc is a common alternative.You need to load up the client and then type:Code:/server irc.irchighway.netThis will connect you to the irchighway server. Once you're on there you need to type:Code:/join #ebooks#audiobooks#moviesThis will take you into the ebooks channel which has more than 2.2Terabytes of ebooksfor free download. Once you're in the simply type:Code:@search name of book or authorYou will get a message saying that your search has been accepted. A few seconds latera searchbot will offer you a file. Select accept to accept the download. That willsend you a .txt file that's zipped. Extract that and you'll get a list of files. Isearched for James Patterson and got a list of 1000 files. Here's an extract from it:Code:!Bald James Patterson - [Alex Cross] - Jack And Jill (UC) [txt].rar - 202.21 KB!Bald James Patterson - [Alex Cross] - Kiss The Girls (UC) [txt].rar - 197.63 KB!Bald James Patterson - [Alex Cross] - Roses Are Red (UC) [txt].rar - 135.80 KB!Bald James Patterson - [Murder Club] - Second Chance (UC) [txt].rar - 147.38 KB!Bald James Patterson - Hide And Seek (UC) [txt].rar --------------- 147.96 KB!Bald James Patterson - Murder Club - First To Die (UC) [txt].rar -- 164.34 KBSay I wanted to download the first book. I'd copy the text shown below:Code:!Bald James Patterson - [Alex Cross] - Jack And Jill (UC) [txt].rarAnd paste that into the irc window then press enter. After 2-3 seconds you get a promptasking you to accept or decline the file. Select accept and it will ask you where tosave to. Select a location and select save and it will begin downloading.Using this method I've found loads of books that weren't available anywhere else.If this seems like a longwinded way of doing things then so be it. It's a quick (onceyou get used to it) way to get hundreds============================================================BTW - the current Chatzilla works fine with Firefox 13.0

Original Poster

It says internal error when I try to register, there are no previous registration details on there.
I've connected it to my wi-fi and tried to register, but I can't get any further, I phoned Amazon and they were quite unhelpful as it wasn't purchased from them.
I've found a few threads on various Kindle help boards where people have had the same problem and been advised that it was probably a stolen item.

Original Poster

Thanks for the free book info, this is for my daughter who is studying medicine and she wants to be able to put text books onto it. I'm thinking I may have to get her a proper one!

Have you tried registering on your pc , seems to work for some others.

Original Poster

There doesn't seem to be that option any more, when I go to the Manage your Kindle all that's there is my iPhone, the option to register a device seems to have gone.

How cheap was cheap?

Get a refund, when they ask you to post it back tell them you're not allowed to send stolen goods through the postal system. Then you could use it as a torch or something...

Original Poster

It was £55, I don't think I'll get a refund before I send it back! Though their money is being held by paypal as they were a 0 feedback seller.

Tell paypal its stolen you cant send back a stolen item now can you?

Original Poster

I've just had an email from Amazon confirming it was a stolen item, so amazingly I've got proof!

rose_cat_jr

I've just had an email from Amazon confirming it was a stolen item, so … I've just had an email from Amazon confirming it was a stolen item, so amazingly I've got proof!

Then do the decent thing and reunite it with its owner, Amazon should be able to help.

Flodd

Then do the decent thing and reunite it with its owner, Amazon should be … Then do the decent thing and reunite it with its owner, Amazon should be able to help.

Do this, get a refund, send it back to the person who owned it.

1000 karma points

Original Poster

Flodd

Then do the decent thing and reunite it with its owner, Amazon should be … Then do the decent thing and reunite it with its owner, Amazon should be able to help.

Amazon won't be able to give me someone's address, can't imagine that complies with data protection.
Edited by: "rose_cat_jr" 3rd Jan 2013

Original Poster

No joy from Amazon, they can't give me any information or pointers as to how to get this back to it's original owner.
So I'm taking it to the police station tomorrow. I've had my refund and the seller isn't best pleased. Good job he's about 150 miles away.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants