King Of Gamers Style Charity Event Idea - Help & Thoughts Needed

Hello,

Im looking at doing a charity ‘thing’ at work --- but with Xboxs!

My rough idea is a one day event (because that’s how long you can have a section for), but spaced over the day.

So people who work shifts/hours (or have stroppy managers) can still play. It’ll be a fiver (which sounds steep, but im praying on gamers desire for ‘prestige’ as the prize will be a two-man-lifting-job Trophy) and for that fiver you have 3 slots throughout the day.

One will be FPS, one will be driving and one will be A. N. Other. Not entirely sure of the games/set-up, but I think it’ll be fun. Best still, each slot should *literally* take 5 minutes, so they’ll be away from their desk for not very long.

I have access to Xboxs, so I can bring 3 or 4 in. I *think* I can sign them in with Silver accounts and they can then play with each other? Or I may have to pick games that have local multiplayer?

But then I don’t mean couch multiplayer, I mean like lobbies and essentially LAN games.

*OR* would they all need to be gold? I suppose if I set up some dead Hotmail accounts and just get a 48 hour code, they could all have gold… So not a hurdle.

But then they’ll all play at the same time.

So take for example Titanfall (potentially). 2 on 2 (then you get all the extra grunts etc) and you have to register the biggest score.

Yes, there may be a hindrance if you get captain silly sausage on your team – or the other guy is amazing… but then, that’s the challenge right?!

One map game will take 5 minutes.

Same with a lap of fastest time (all 4 racing at the same time) on ‘insert racing game here’

Then I just need to find another game that’s short, challenge’y and can be played together.

Perhaps Call of Duty would get more ‘attention’ than Titanfall… But yeah. Plenty to think about.

But, the purpose of this message… Do you have any ideas for games that could be played?

The third game could be a platformer? Or perhaps a beat em up? Versus a bot of course. Quickest KO time…

Any other thoughts? Should the games remain a mystery until ‘release’. This would stop people practising (where some people may not have the game and cant practise) but then, it may cause people to drop out.

But id print out the controller layouts for all the games… Make it fair.

Any other thoughts on getting this off the ground?

7 Comments

Original Poster

Oooo, Rocket League 'Chaos' (or Standard depending on shifts of the players playing).

But against 3-4 Veteren/Expert Bots...

Brilliant initiative, but as alot of people will not like gaming - It doesnt sound very inclusive

Great idea, but as above is it inclusive enough? I do this at work every year and out of 80 employees about 45 sign up. Out of that 45 maybe 8-10 are 'gamers'. So I usually have to choose very family oriented games that are very pick up and play and don't particularly require intensive skill. Kinect games or Wii U family games tend to win out.

I'd love to do a FPS tourny but i can't imagine Margaret from finance and Joan from reception would get involved

get a nes fast time for Mario first level win. but points take seconds off the time so you can run through the game zero points and still be beaten also works with sonic. this would open the even to more people.. as everyone can play those two games..

Break out Dark Souls, that'll sort them out.

Seriously, Kinect games would be good if you have access to one of two of them. It's always good to watch people making an **** of themselves

Fifa? Its cheap to pick up a few copies and then you have sports, driving & shoot em up covered.

Original Poster

shepademus

I do this at work every year and out of 80 employees about 45 sign up. … I do this at work every year and out of 80 employees about 45 sign up. Out of that 45 maybe 8-10 are 'gamers'.

I work in an office of 2,500 people.

justanothercid

get a nes fast time for Mario first level win.

That could be a great 'twist'. Sign up for King Of Gamers (or whatever) and when the cloth is pulled off the table (so to speak) its actually a NES, a MegaDrive and a Sega Master System... Could be fun!

Only two-three buttons too so wont be too complicated - so no arguments with "It was too complex to learn on the spot".

Jason89

Fifa? Its cheap to pick up a few copies and then you have sports, driving … Fifa? Its cheap to pick up a few copies and then you have sports, driving & shoot em up covered.

Only problem is thats versus and single player, unless they played each other. I need something where they dont really play versus (Titanfall as an example gives them plenty of opportunity to score points even if they're not super awesome).

But ideally it needs to be very single-player'y but at the same time (if that makes sense).

If I could do a bot game where they're all on the same team... that would work.

Like T-Hunt on Siege... so they work together, but they'll trying to get points (whilst not dying - and not being disqualified for taking out a team mate!)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
    3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
    4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions