Kitchen fuse switch

Posted 21st Feb
Hi all,

Can anyone advise what the following switch is for or what it controls.

It’s playing up and as far as I can see , it links in to the sockets for our washing machine and dishwasher.

It keeps tripping the main sockets switch on the electric board and we want to make sure we know what we’re dealing with as we can have it replaced until Monday.

Thanks in advance.
3410942-SzCjK.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

29 Comments
It’s a single polefused switched spur for devices such as washing machines

its more likely to be the end device causing the trip but until an electrician puts a meter on it, you won’t know
Edited by: "ccnp" 21st Feb
Hi Ccnp , thanks for your comments on this it’s appreciated.

Is it still likely to be the end device if the socket appears to have seized? I can’t turn the socket off?

Thanks again
is it an old switch or newly installed? have you used it before to turn the dishwasher and washing machine on and off?
You should have one of those fused switches for each appliance.
39958132-6TJLo.jpg
Hi Mutley1 - This is the switch we have, I’d assume it’s old as we have lived in the properly nearly six years and it’s not been changed in our time.
Never used it to turn them on or off before
Macdaddy21/02/2020 23:25

[Image] Hi Mutley1 - This is the switch we have, I’d assume it’s old as we …[Image] Hi Mutley1 - This is the switch we have, I’d assume it’s old as we have lived in the properly nearly six years and it’s not been changed in our time. Never used it to turn them on or off before

Switch the electricity off at the consumer unit. Unscrew the front of the switch & have a look inside for burning or melted wire covers, then check the terminals by screwing them up as far as it will go. Sometimes wires just come loose over time.

If the wires are secure in the inside of the switch & no signs of burning then you have a problem elsewhere. Just ran that by a qualified electrician.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 21st Feb
Hi Willy_Wonka, thanks for your help with this. I’ll look to follow your instructions and see what it looks like inside and going from them.

Is this something that we should be concerned about overnight?
Macdaddy21/02/2020 23:25

[Image] Hi Mutley1 - This is the switch we have, I’d assume it’s old as we …[Image] Hi Mutley1 - This is the switch we have, I’d assume it’s old as we have lived in the properly nearly six years and it’s not been changed in our time. Never used it to turn them on or off before

if you have never used it before, how do you know it is for the dishwasher and washing machine?
how do you know it is that switch that is causing the consumer unit to trip? because it seems to be stuck?
Macdaddy21/02/2020 23:35

Hi Willy_Wonka, thanks for your help with this. I’ll look to follow your i …Hi Willy_Wonka, thanks for your help with this. I’ll look to follow your instructions and see what it looks like inside and going from them. Is this something that we should be concerned about overnight?

Take the fuse out if you are concerned. You just need to pop it out where it says fused.
I know it’s for the dishwasher and washing machine as the socket switch on the consumer unit tripped earlier tonight and after turning it back on , only the dishwasher and washing didn’t work, it was only after trying to turn the fuse switch off that it seemed to kick the dishwasher back in to action.
Willy_Wonka21/02/2020 23:37

Take the fuse out if you are concerned. You just need to pop it out where …Take the fuse out if you are concerned. You just need to pop it out where it says fused.

Thanks for the heads up with this, I’ll remove the fuse to be safe.
Macdaddy21/02/2020 23:38

I know it’s for the dishwasher and washing machine as the socket switch on …I know it’s for the dishwasher and washing machine as the socket switch on the consumer unit tripped earlier tonight and after turning it back on , only the dishwasher and washing didn’t work, it was only after trying to turn the fuse switch off that it seemed to kick the dishwasher back in to action.

so the washing machine is still not working? but by fiddling with the stuck switch it has started the dishwasher again?
Both the washing machine and dishwasher have started up again by fiddling with the switch. The dishwasher was in use when the switch tripped and then came back on after fiddling , i then tried to turn the washing machine on and it worked , but wouldn’t before messing about with the switch.
Macdaddy21/02/2020 23:58

Both the washing machine and dishwasher have started up again by fiddling …Both the washing machine and dishwasher have started up again by fiddling with the switch. The dishwasher was in use when the switch tripped and then came back on after fiddling , i then tried to turn the washing machine on and it worked , but wouldn’t before messing about with the switch.

To be fair if the dishwasher & washing machine both run off the same fused switch you really shouldn't use them both at the same time because if they are both heating up at the same time it could be a fire risk.
This sounds silly but to be honest I didn’t know they shouldn’t be used at the same time, they both plug in to their own sockets under the counter, so I thought it would have been fine, it’s not often they run together and We will make sure they never do in future.

Thanks again and thanks to everyone for your input. It’s appreciated
Macdaddy22/02/2020 00:27

This sounds silly but to be honest I didn’t know they shouldn’t be used at …This sounds silly but to be honest I didn’t know they shouldn’t be used at the same time, they both plug in to their own sockets under the counter, so I thought it would have been fine, it’s not often they run together and We will make sure they never do in future. Thanks again and thanks to everyone for your input. It’s appreciated

It is not your fault. You are not to know. Whoever put it in wasn't qualified or did a dodgy job for cash.
Only a couple of quid to buy and easy to swap, why wait till Monday when you can do it yourself
ding22/02/2020 09:20

Only a couple of quid to buy and easy to swap, why wait till Monday when …Only a couple of quid to buy and easy to swap, why wait till Monday when you can do it yourself

Not really as it is a 13 Amp fused switch providing power to 2 appliances that have an output of about 20 Amps. The correct way to solve the problem is to install 2.5mm wire to each socket & replace the switch with a 20 Amp or install an extra switch off of the ring so each appliance has its own power.

That 13Amp switch will burn out again regardless if you replace it or not.
Macdaddy21/02/2020 23:58

Both the washing machine and dishwasher have started up again by fiddling …Both the washing machine and dishwasher have started up again by fiddling with the switch. The dishwasher was in use when the switch tripped and then came back on after fiddling , i then tried to turn the washing machine on and it worked , but wouldn’t before messing about with the switch.

if you take the fuse out, the two machines should be off and that will be your proof that the switch is for both appliances.
Willy_Wonka22/02/2020 09:27

Not really as it is a 13 Amp fused switch providing power to 2 appliances …Not really as it is a 13 Amp fused switch providing power to 2 appliances that have an output of about 20 Amps. The correct way to solve the problem is to install 2.5mm wire to each socket & replace the switch with a 20 Amp or install an extra switch off of the ring so each appliance has its own power. That 13Amp switch will burn out again regardless if you replace it or not.

It's been working away quite happily certainly for the 6 years the op has been in the house and for god knows how long before, I understand what your saying is belt and braces, the problem is the consumer unit tripping and not the 13amp fuse in the switch blowing
Edited by: "ding" 22nd Feb
mutley122/02/2020 09:32

if you take the fuse out, the two machines should be off and that will be …if you take the fuse out, the two machines should be off and that will be your proof that the switch is for both appliances.

The op already knows that
ding22/02/2020 09:36

It's been working away quite happily certainly for the 6 years the op has …It's been working away quite happily certainly for the 6 years the op has been in the house and for god knows how long before, I understand what your saying is belt and braces

As the OP has confirmed that both appliances run off the same switch I would put all my money on the fact there is a loose connection in the wiring in the switch caused by overload or just time. What most people do not know that electric cables vibrate & over time they can become loose.

Either way a 13 Amp switch is not enough for a dishwasher & washing machine. And the wiring is likely to be 1.5mm & not the 2.5mm which should be installed.

Oh & my other half is an electrician so I believe he knows.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 22nd Feb
Willy_Wonka22/02/2020 00:59

It is not your fault. You are not to know. Whoever put it in wasn't …It is not your fault. You are not to know. Whoever put it in wasn't qualified or did a dodgy job for cash.

Thought I’d update the situation, we had an electrician come out today and the negative wire had melted and pretty much burnt through.

We also found out that we need two more fuse switches to be put in as the fuse switch that is faulty has apparently been powering not only our washing machine and dishwasher for the past 6 years ( and for god knows how long before we moved in ) but it’s also powering the hob!!! Crazy I know!!

Thanks again to all for your help and insight to this situation.
Macdaddy22/02/2020 19:39

Thought I’d update the situation, we had an electrician come out today and …Thought I’d update the situation, we had an electrician come out today and the negative wire had melted and pretty much burnt through. We also found out that we need two more fuse switches to be put in as the fuse switch that is faulty has apparently been powering not only our washing machine and dishwasher for the past 6 years ( and for god knows how long before we moved in ) but it’s also powering the hob!!! Crazy I know!!Thanks again to all for your help and insight to this situation.

So my other half was spot on right. Our pleasure. Lucky you never had a fire x
A big yes in both counts, thanks for the help, I am glad I asked the question on here now.
ding22/02/2020 09:20

Only a couple of quid to buy and easy to swap, why wait till Monday when …Only a couple of quid to buy and easy to swap, why wait till Monday when you can do it yourself

See above. This was a fire risk & not a DIY job.
ding22/02/2020 09:36

It's been working away quite happily certainly for the 6 years the op has …It's been working away quite happily certainly for the 6 years the op has been in the house and for god knows how long before, I understand what your saying is belt and braces, the problem is the consumer unit tripping and not the 13amp fuse in the switch blowing

Please see above fire risk.
Thanks for your comments ding although clearly not helpful...but as Willy_Wonka said....this is a job for a professional especially considering the amount of rewiring involved as well as the installation of new sockets within a tiled wall.
Macdaddy22/02/2020 20:06

Thanks for your comments ding although clearly not helpful...but as …Thanks for your comments ding although clearly not helpful...but as Willy_Wonka said....this is a job for a professional especially considering the amount of rewiring involved as well as the installation of new sockets within a tiled wall.

That is the problem with this site. Too many people think they know what they are doing. The same as the bloke that wired your 3 appliances into one 13amp switch. That is inexcusable, dangerous & completely negligent.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants