Kitchen Worktops - Help

Found 22nd Apr 2016
I have to replace my kitchen worktops (good quality wilsonart black Matt laminate) which was fitted 18 months ago... Problems: discolouration and too many scratches even on Matt.

Which laminate worktop should I go for this time without worrying about discolouration and visible scratches at-least for few years, even some sort of matt or gloss or in between laminate worktop where the scratches are not that visible I understand they will get scratched with the normal daily use and still look good even after few years. I can not afford granite or quartz at this stage. Somebody suggested worktop with pattern as it will hide discolouration and scratches. Please help.
Community Updates
AskKitchen
22 Comments
We have had light Marble coloured worktops which lasted very well and didnt show scratches. Another light coloured modern one which seems to wear well is White Cashmere.
We have Black granite gloss atm and thats hard to keep nice, window cleaner fluid and microfibre cloths are the only answer.
We have the black granite gloss, I find after cleaning use my karcher window vac to stop the dry water marks
We had white with quartz (i think its called!) from b+q fitted last year and still looks good as new! We was advised to avoid dark colours because cleaning products are known to take the colour!
we have this one, it has a textured finish. Don't seem to notice scratches or dirt. worktops4all.co.uk/sho…818
We bought Egger F040 ST72 Black Granite Eurospan. Reasonably thick, cheap, curved edges, although it has a slight sheen (but not glossy) it has a little texture and we can't see any scratches in ours after over 4 years.
do you use a chopping board? what do you do to scratch it? no scratches on mine and its 10 years plus and its not some fancy thing
Buy oak and you can sand and seal to look like new again every few years. Easy fit as straight joints. £125 each off net. Or if your heavy handed with tops you will just have to replace more regularly
Guys I totally agree with you, need light coloured or pattern worktop this time. I forgot initially the property was fitted with white worktop which went for 15 years where scratches and discoloration are not noticeable. Then few months back I replaced with matt black laminate ( https//ww…ml ) which has started giving me problems. I have already bought the cabinet doors and cabinets (doors are light cream which are premium quality - gloss lacquered spray not vinyl). I do not think very light colour worktop will look good with the cabinets but I might be wrong that is why I am here for help. What type / make / colour are you using with light cream gloss cabinets? I want my kitchen to look good and modern as well. Much appreciate for all the help. Hopefully this time it will be right choice with your help and expert advice.

Edited by: "MissiveUK" 22nd Apr 2016
brilly

do you use a chopping board? what do you do to scratch it? no scratches … do you use a chopping board? what do you do to scratch it? no scratches on mine and its 10 years plus and its not some fancy thing

Scratches are not that much but it has starting fading. We fitted new worktops around 18 months ago, it is the standard good quality matt black laminate worktop (Wilsonart Midnight Graphite). We have always been very careful and never cleaned it with harsh chemicals.

But it has lost the blackness and has developed some grey patches near to sink and gas hob.
Arlington oak laminate worktops from b&q look nice on
Anyone ever had polished concrete work surfaces? I've been looking at these and they look pretty awesome.
MissiveUK

Scratches are not that much but it has starting fading. We fitted new … Scratches are not that much but it has starting fading. We fitted new worktops around 18 months ago, it is the standard good quality matt black laminate worktop (Wilsonart Midnight Graphite). We have always been very careful and never cleaned it with harsh chemicals.But it has lost the blackness and has developed some grey patches near to sink and gas hob.

Check your warranty. A worktop should not fade in 18 months, if ever
chocci

Check your warranty. A worktop should not fade in 18 months, if ever

Wilsonart are. It very helpful. Already went through all the phone calls and emails to them. No luck.
The Wislonart warranty does not help you. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 may do. As chocci says, a worktop should not fade in 18 months. Have you kept to the care and maintenance instructions? (http://www.wilsonart.com/sites/default/files/docs/resources/brochures-general-brochures-care-maintenance-.pdf).

If so, then you should be able to claim, after all they say "Your decision to purchase Wilsonart Laminate will bring you years of quality performance." You are not getting that - to the extent of now having to replace the worktop. If you have looked after the worktop properly, then there is a breach under the Consumer Contracts Act. You could make a claim against whoever you purchased the laminate from.

I got a black gloss with sparkles one from Jewson about 5 years ago and its still going strong. One thing I have not done with this one is use bleach or harsh cleaners on it. Anti bacterial spray only and its not discoloured at all. Only marks on it are from the silly fitter who scratched it.
MissiveUK

Wilsonart are. It very helpful. Already went through all the phone calls … Wilsonart are. It very helpful. Already went through all the phone calls and emails to them. No luck.

Sorry mean to say, Wilsonart are not very helpful...
MikeT

We have had light Marble coloured worktops which lasted very well and … We have had light Marble coloured worktops which lasted very well and didnt show scratches. Another light coloured modern one which seems to wear well is White Cashmere.We have Black granite gloss atm and thats hard to keep nice, window cleaner fluid and microfibre cloths are the only answer.

Went to see white cashmere in B and Q.. Looks very good as described by MikeT. Only one thing in mind will it work with light cream high gloss cabinets?
brilly

do you use a chopping board? what do you do to scratch it? no scratches … do you use a chopping board? what do you do to scratch it? no scratches on mine and its 10 years plus and its not some fancy thing

My worktops are full of scratches,I think it's the bottom of plates and bowls that does it as they always seem to be rough underneath.
Try Bushboard tobacco oak. Really great, modern looking.
MissiveUK

Anybody using the following worktops, review would help to decide … Anybody using the following worktops, review would help to decide please.Duropal Mirabelle CorroCarnival GraniteBella noche

Anybody please?
systine

Try Bushboard tobacco oak. Really great, modern looking.

Ok mate. thanks. What about scratches from daily use and colour fading? I am looking for Bella Noche, saw in homebase and bandq on the weekend, it looks class to me and very scratch resistant. Anybody using bella noche or carnival granite so that I can get some help on the reviews?

Edited by: "MissiveUK" 26th Apr 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants