Found 20th Sep 2016
Hello folks, just bought a couple of weeks old kitten for my son and its the first time ever I am owning a pet. I have learned that the kitten needs to be vaccinated but the its bit costly so I would request for precious advice from my hukd members for any cheap/free vaccinations etc. I have seen pet insurance through RSPCA which i think is costing around £6/pm but doesnt include any vaccinations. Any advice/help/links would be appreciated.
Note: The kitten will remain indoor as I live in flats.

1. Ask
  2. Vaccine
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Vaccine
17 Comments

Not sure I agree with a cat being kept indoors but there you go. Phone around local vets, you should hopefully be able to get the first course of injections for £30-£40 and then around £25-30 annually afterwards. You will need to keep the injections up to date if you want to put it into a cattery at anytime. Don't go to Pet at Home, they are v expensive. Even if it doesn't go outdoors, you may want to consider neutering if it is a male as this calms them down a bit. This is around £40-£60. I use Advantage Spot-On for flea prevention.

Doesn't sound like you've researched this very well . Cats can live 15-20 years easy . They are a big commitment . When we got our kittens , pets 4 vets did a scheme whereby you paid £100 and that covered annual vaccinations for a lifetime . Ours are now 7 so it's probably paid for itself already . You'll need to get it neutered as well or you could be storing up no end of trouble . Then there's flea and worm treatment if the cat goes outdoors . Cats are very independent , don't think that just because you live in a flat it won't go outside . If it wants to go , it will go . Good luck with your new pet

Weeks old? I sincerely hope they are at the very minimum 8 weeks! If you're keeping them indoors, they do not need vaccinations. I've had cats for nigh on 20 years and none have had vacs...ever. They've all been purrfectly fine (see what I did there?).

You really should not have got the kitten "for your Son", as if your Son is young, he will soon get bored of it.

Also, if you Son is young, do NOT under any circumstances let your child treat the kitten as a toy. Remember, is a living creature with feelings and can become very scared quickly. Cats become stressed easily and will lilely lash out if it is being treated badly by a child.

The cat will be yours for 15-20 years. Are you sure you're committed enough for that?

Remember, a Cat is for life, not just for kids!!!
Edited by: "artnada" 20th Sep 2016

tallpete33

Not sure I agree with a cat being kept indoors but there you go.

​cats need to be kept in doors. they are the most invasive species in the uk. they kill a quarter of a billion animal a year, 55 million birds alone.
rspb.org.uk/mak…spx
Edited by: "brendanhickey" 20th Sep 2016

All 3 of my cats, eldest being 7 have all been indoor cats, they have never escaped or even tried to get outside so don't let some posters put you off your decision to keep them in, they are a lot safer in than out. I have also never vaccinated mine, even as a child my parents never vaccinated the countless cats we had . but I do agree if you can't afford it now, how will you afford food, litter and insurance etc for the next 15-20 years? My 3 cost me £70 a month in food and litter alone, and that's not top brand stuff either.

boats92

All 3 of my cats, eldest being 7 have all been indoor cats, they have … All 3 of my cats, eldest being 7 have all been indoor cats, they have never escaped or even tried to get outside so don't let some posters put you off your decision to keep them in, they are a lot safer in than out. I have also never vaccinated mine, even as a child my parents never vaccinated the countless cats we had . but I do agree if you can't afford it now, how will you afford food, litter and insurance etc for the next 15-20 years? My 3 cost me £70 a month in food and litter alone, and that's not top brand stuff either.

A good point well made . Mine were indoor cats for their first few years , one because he was too stupid to be safe outdoors and the other was too scared . I have only recently moved to a house with a garden they are safe to go out in . If it is going to be an indoor cat get a litter tray with a lid . An invaluable investment

So hope your kitten isn't just a couple of weeks old as your post states otherwise the poor thing should still be with its mum. If your cat is to be kept inside all the time , will have no other contact with other cats at any point and you will never need to put it in a cattery then it won't necessarily need vaccinations. Even on this basis , my sisters indoor cat got very sick earlier this year due to an infection which the vets believe could have either been air borne or bought into the house via footware, so being indoors doesn't always protect them from all nasties. However please do consider putting some money aside each month to cover vets fees if you aren't going to get insurance, our biggest cat related costs have always been at the vets. If you do take out insurance, then make sure it will cover unvaccinated animals , some do some don't.

Vac4Life will save you a fortune: vets4pets.com/pet…fe/

£100 up front and all future Vacs free:
Vac4Life is a preventative plan following primary vaccinations which includes annual booster vaccinations, an annual health check with your vet and an annual health check with a veterinary nurse.

These regular visits give us the opportunity to monitor the general health of your pet and notice those often subtle changes, catching potentially life threatening conditions early, while they’re still treatable.

Vac4Life health plan offers you & your pet:

A one-off payment of just £99
Annual booster vaccinations for life
An annual vet health check when your pet has their booster
An additional annual health check with a veterinary nurse 6 months after the booster
Simply contact your local surgery to book an appointment and request the Vac4Life plan.

Please note: Vac4Life is only available at participating Vets4Pets and Companion Care surgeries.

*Vac4Life Terms & conditions apply. Initial vaccination course is payable separately. Please ask in practice for the full range of vaccinations included and for more details

Vac4Life Terms and Conditions

1) By registering for and purchasing the Vac4Life Plan and completing the Vac4Life Membership Application Form (“Vac4Life”) you accept these Terms and Conditions (Ts&Cs”)
2) Vac4Life is promoted by Pets at Home Vet Group Limited, Stanley Green Trading Estate, Epsom Avenue, Handforth SK9 3RN and participating Vets4Pets and Companion Care veterinary practices (“the Promoter, “we””)

3) Vac4Life is available for cats, dogs and rabbits only. It includes vaccination for the following conditions:

a) Distemper, Infectious Canine Hepatitis, Parvovirus and Leptospirosis (dogs)

b) Calicivirus, Herpes virus, Panleucopaenia, and Feline Leukaemia virus (cats)

c) Myxomotosis and rabbit haemorrhagic disease-1 (rabbits)

d) The frequency of administration of vaccination against these diseases may vary, depending on the practice vaccination protocol and datasheet requirements for the vaccine. Please check with the practice for details.

e) Vac4Life does not include vaccination against Rabies, Chlamydia, Bordetella bronchiseptica (Kennel Cough), and any other disease which the practice my exclude from time to time. Parainfluenza vaccinations for dogs may or may not be included in Vac4Life depending on the vaccination protocol used by the practice, and this will be confirmed at the time of registration.

4) Vac4Life may not be used for any pet other than the registered pet which is noted on the Vac4Life Membership Application Form. It is non-transferable between pets.

5) Vac4Life is valid for the lifetime of the registered pet and is transferrable between clients should ownership of the pet change. You should notify your practice of any ownership change. It is your responsibility to prove that the pet presented is the pet on the Vac4Life plan (for example microchip number, distinguishing features, pet records). The practice reserves the right to refuse treatment if there is reasonable doubt that the pet presented is not the pet registered on the Vac4Life Plan.

6) Any appointment arranged for your pet will be at the discretion of the practice.

7) To qualify for Vac4Life your pet must have been vaccinated within the last 30 days. You will be required to show a completed vaccination card from a veterinary practice at your pet’s first visit if your vaccine was carried out at another practice. If your pet has not been vaccinated in the 30 days before you start your membership of Vac4Life, then you will need to pay for a booster vaccination for your pet.

Vac4Life will only be available to pets that are clinically suitable for vaccination. In the event that they are not suitable, then further consultations will be required and charged at the usual rate.

9) The Vac4Life Plan cannot be used in conjunction with any other Vets4Pets or Companion Care offers, unless explicitly stated.

10) Some vaccination programmes do not follow an annual booster plan. If during any stage of the Vac4Life Plan your pet is overdue for one of its scheduled vaccination injections/boosters, according to manufacturer’s recommendations, it will be necessary to start the initial course of vaccinations again. If this is the case, you will be required to pay the cost of the initial vaccination course in full before re-commencing the Vac4Life Plan.

11) Whilst the practice will endeavour to send booster reminders to you, it remains your responsibility to present your pet for vaccination and health checks at the appropriate time.

12) Vac4Life is transferrable between participating Vets4Pets and Companion Care practices.

13) Vac4Life is a non-refundable offer.

14) The Promoter reserves the right to suspend the Vac4Life Plan if you have any outstanding debt with your vet for any treatment or medication, outside of the Vac4Life Plan, that is more than 7 days overdue. The Vac4Life Plan will be reactivated once payment of the debt is made in full. Your pet shall not be entitled to any Vac4Life vaccinations and/or examinations whilst there are sums owing by you to the practice for any outstanding treatment, medication or otherwise.

15) The Promoter reserves the right to refuse to accept a pet on Vac4Life for any reason it considers necessary.

16) The Promoter reserves the right to alter these Ts&Cs from time to time or substitute any of them, as amended on the Promoter’s website, from time to time.

17) The Promoter reserves the right to cancel your Vac4Life membership at any time for any reason that it considers necessary and will refund you for any treatment not received.

18) If you change your mind and wish to cancel Vac4Life, you have 14 days from the date of making the initial payment in which to do so. Please contact your vet for a refund. You will be liable to pay to your vet the full, non-discounted value of any vaccination received prior to the date of cancellation of Vac4Life.

19) Personal information which you give us may be used by the Pets at Home family (being your veterinary practice, Companion Care (Services) Limited, Vets4Pets Limited, Pets at Home Limited and its group companies and charity, Support Adoption for Pets) to process Vac4Life, let you know about promotions and new products and for statistical analysis. For further details please see our privacy policy at either vets4pets.com/com…yorcompanioncare.co.uk/pri…tml

20) If you are unhappy with the treatment or any aspect of your pet’s veterinary care, you should contact your vet.

21) These Ts&Cs are subject to English law and we submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.

HTH :-)

Alot of vets offer free kitten health check. Mine are indoor and still jab and flea them to be sure myself. If ur going to insure * please consider this as one of ours landed badly and both broke and fractured his leg 2 grand later* check the terms and conditions many cheap insurance schemes arent worth nothing if something happens. Hopefully your kitten is at least 8 weeks old. Also alot of the time if you ask your local cat rescue they can help with neutering costs if not all. We got help with our 4th done for free. Hope it helps

Original Poster

thanks all for such valuable information. my kitten is 8 weeks old so not been cruel to take him away from mom in early age. i have already bought curver litter tray, scratch post and a bed off ebay through auction so been lucky on that side. Bought his dry and wet food too though lil expensive but will keep an eye on sales. it was the medical section i have my concerns. will also appreciate good advice on food side too as to how many times shall i feed this kitten, shall i left the leftover food overnight or threw it away etc etc.

asifbutt

thanks all for such valuable information. my kitten is 8 weeks old so … thanks all for such valuable information. my kitten is 8 weeks old so not been cruel to take him away from mom in early age. i have already bought curver litter tray, scratch post and a bed off ebay through auction so been lucky on that side. Bought his dry and wet food too though lil expensive but will keep an eye on sales. it was the medical section i have my concerns. will also appreciate good advice on food side too as to how many times shall i feed this kitten, shall i left the leftover food overnight or threw it away etc etc.

Hopefully help you this was the first thing i found
rspca.org.uk/adv…are

Our local vet offers something called "Healthy Pet Club" - for a tenner a month, we get all vaccinations, flea and worming treatment, and a discount off any treatment required. If you think you may struggle with the vaccinations outright, this may be worth investigating.

asifbutt

thanks all for such valuable information. my kitten is 8 weeks old so … thanks all for such valuable information. my kitten is 8 weeks old so not been cruel to take him away from mom in early age. i have already bought curver litter tray, scratch post and a bed off ebay through auction so been lucky on that side. Bought his dry and wet food too though lil expensive but will keep an eye on sales. it was the medical section i have my concerns. will also appreciate good advice on food side too as to how many times shall i feed this kitten, shall i left the leftover food overnight or threw it away etc etc.

In my experience cats can be very fussy about food . Don't go buying a job lot of something because it's cheap on eBay unless you know first of all they will eat it . You could just end up with a big pile of uneaten food. As for quantity etc, I found the pouches the easiest way to monitor this but an expensive way . I always have a bowl full of biscuit down but wet food I feed in small portions and do not refill until the bowl is empty . It's smelly stuff and a half full bowl will attract flies in summer .

I like the wooden pellets best for cat litter . They do not end up clumped like concrete or all over the floor . They are expensive if you get them from the supermarket but considerably cheaper from discount stores . A 10kg bag is £3.78 in Tesco but a 30kg bag £5.59 in b&m

psychobitchfromhell

Doesn't sound like you've researched this very well . Cats can live 15-20 … Doesn't sound like you've researched this very well . Cats can live 15-20 years easy . They are a big commitment . When we got our kittens , pets 4 vets did a scheme whereby you paid £100 and that covered annual vaccinations for a lifetime . Ours are now 7 so it's probably paid for itself already . You'll need to get it neutered as well or you could be storing up no end of trouble . Then there's flea and worm treatment if the cat goes outdoors . Cats are very independent , don't think that just because you live in a flat it won't go outside . If it wants to go , it will go . Good luck with your new pet

How many cats have you had that lived that long? I've had two cats and ten was pushing it, I haven't seen or heard of many friends who have had cats that old, maybe one or two.

My last one was 17 nearly 18 when it died .

Bigfootpete

How many cats have you had that lived that long? I've had two cats and … How many cats have you had that lived that long? I've had two cats and ten was pushing it, I haven't seen or heard of many friends who have had cats that old, maybe one or two.

​My last one was 16. Her sister died a few months later. 16. I currently have one that is 14.

My mother had several that lived until 16/17.

Cats can and do live a lot longer than 10.

Edited by: "artnada" 21st Sep 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Lower car insurance99
    2. word association Game74244891
    3. Add one, leave one game54315413
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769290

See more discussions