Expired

Kittens in my garden? I'm not an expert on pets so some advice please.

Found 11th Jun
So today noticed a cat hanging round the garden and we don't get cats ever. Anyway didn't think anything of it. Later on in the evening was taking out rubbish and Other Half noticed 2 kittens in the corner. Mums with her kittens now. Can someone please advise what to do. Should I leave mum and babies to it, should I put food out or water? any type of shelter like a box? or should I just leave them be?
Community Updates
AskHome & Garden
Top comments
Don’t move. Their vision is based on movement. They can’t see you if you don’t move.
Edited by: "beefkr10z" 12th Jun
annie_214 h, 36 m ago

My sister had a very similar case. She left the cats as they were. She …My sister had a very similar case. She left the cats as they were. She didnt mind so she fed them milk. She was not fussed with them living in her garden and her children absolutely loved the cats. It all comes down to whst u like etc.

Never feed cats milk
Even though they have gone, might be an idea to still put food and water out each day in the same place for a little while. Quite likely she'll come and check for it.
25 Comments
It could be a stray but you wouldn't know unless taking it to a vet, etc, to see if it's chipped. They'll probably know what to do next.

Have you tried approaching the mother? I'd probably try gain it's trust. Food and water is a good idea.

What do you want to do? I would be trying to get them indoors but that's just me.

cats.org.uk/hel…cat
Edited by: "rev6" 12th Jun
Have you got a local cats protection league branch or a cat rescue charity? I'd get in touch with them if you can. We're slap bang in the middle of the kitten season.
Take to local vets, Unless you can locate owner somehow?, Perhaps ask your neighbours if they might know?.

A neighbour found a stray cat that had kittens in her out house so she fed it. We took it to vets for her and they sterilised it for free. She didn't want to take ownership of it but still feeds it to this day. At least no more kittens ;). I adopted on of the kittens :).
If the kittens are really small, don't go too close. You don't want to spoil the mother certainly don't pick the kittens up
here is cat’s protection’s number 03000 12 12 12 (https://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/about-us/helpline)

one of their lovely volunteers will answer the call and give you great advice for your problem. lines open mon-fri 9am to 5pm. do give them as much details as you can!
My sister had a very similar case. She left the cats as they were. She didnt mind so she fed them milk. She was not fussed with them living in her garden and her children absolutely loved the cats. It all comes down to whst u like etc.
Thanks for the replies. To be honest I have no intention of keeping them as pets as I have 3 kittens of my own in human form that I just about manage to look after but i dont want them coming to any harm either. They are not bothering me so i have no problem with the cat or her babies but i just wanted advice on if i should offer water or food to whilst they are here.I will call around tomorrow and ask the neighbours too. I'm a bit of scardey cat, excuse the pun, when it comes to animals so this is all new to me.
Don’t move. Their vision is based on movement. They can’t see you if you don’t move.
Edited by: "beefkr10z" 12th Jun
annie_214 h, 36 m ago

My sister had a very similar case. She left the cats as they were. She …My sister had a very similar case. She left the cats as they were. She didnt mind so she fed them milk. She was not fussed with them living in her garden and her children absolutely loved the cats. It all comes down to whst u like etc.

Never feed cats milk
Am assuming you are at least semi rural.

The first bit that needs assessing is if the mother is feral. Can you get near her or is she very skittish?

If she is feral you are going to need to catch and get her to the vets and snipped or you are going to be repeating this experience and it doesn't take long for you to soon have several generations. If not feral then need to try and find the owner and seeing if chipped as suggested will be fairly straight forward.

With the kittens you also need to see if she will let you near - if so then you need to handle them so they do not become feral (love the eye colours at this stage) - there is a limited window for this and will make the difference in them being able to become pets for you to move on and also get their jabs.

Now if you are rural having a feral cat about has it's advantages in that for very low maintenance you have it keeping mice population down without needing to look after but you would need to understand it would never be a pet.
@samzam
I had a unknown cat give birth in my cats house in the garden 2 years ago.
They need shelter for sure.
I Fed her so she could provide for her kittens. She always seemed hungry and I guessed needed extra to keep her strength up. Apart from feeding her n looking in on her n giving her a little stroke when she came to me i left her to do what she needed. It might be worth checking them briefly just by looking to check there are no deceased kittens ( ) and remove it if there is one that's sadly died.

The cat in my garden was scared at first but as the week went on she would come to me to stroke her and all sorts.
I put a notice in local shop window but nobody rang.
I left her to do her thing with the kittens for a few weeks to the point they were wandering about and I found a lovely lady that takes in animals and cares for them n she finds forever homes for them.
The mum cat was lovely and looked after her kittens very well on her own.

Good luck with it
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 12th Jun
Bertz9912th Jun

Am assuming you are at least semi rural.The first bit that needs assessing …Am assuming you are at least semi rural.The first bit that needs assessing is if the mother is feral. Can you get near her or is she very skittish?If she is feral you are going to need to catch and get her to the vets and snipped or you are going to be repeating this experience and it doesn't take long for you to soon have several generations. If not feral then need to try and find the owner and seeing if chipped as suggested will be fairly straight forward.With the kittens you also need to see if she will let you near - if so then you need to handle them so they do not become feral (love the eye colours at this stage) - there is a limited window for this and will make the difference in them being able to become pets for you to move on and also get their jabs.Now if you are rural having a feral cat about has it's advantages in that for very low maintenance you have it keeping mice population down without needing to look after but you would need to understand it would never be a pet.

Your not supposed to handle the kittens unless necessary mother may reject them if she smells anything different on the kittens.
LeahsMintytoutou2 m ago

Your not supposed to handle the kittens unless necessary mother …Your not supposed to handle the kittens unless necessary mother may reject them if she smells anything different on the kittens.

feralcat.com/tam…tml
Bertz9912th Jun

https://www.feralcat.com/taming.html

If its a feral cat why tame it just leave it.
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 12th Jun
1 sprayed I would agree - the rate the population explodes there is a reason the image of bags and water was the normal resolution considered here not too long ago. Also still occurs - the quality of life and the future issues averted then avoiding those kittens becoming feral and enabling them to become pets, imo, is the most humane
Quick update. Checked on them over night and mum and babies were still hudoled in the corner. 7.30am had a quick look and there was only 1 kitten so I assumed she was moving them and I was right. Put out some food and water and the mum came back and ate it and after she was done she took the last kitten and jumped over the fence. Kids were disappointed. Managed to get a pic of them belowat33979823-d7OyO.jpg
Thanks for all the advice. Just hope mum and babies stay safe now they have gone.
Even though they have gone, might be an idea to still put food and water out each day in the same place for a little while. Quite likely she'll come and check for it.
samzam53 m ago

Quick update. Checked on them over night and mum and babies were still …Quick update. Checked on them over night and mum and babies were still hudoled in the corner. 7.30am had a quick look and there was only 1 kitten so I assumed she was moving them and I was right. Put out some food and water and the mum came back and ate it and after she was done she took the last kitten and jumped over the fence. Kids were disappointed. Managed to get a pic of them belowat[Image]

OH wow they are big! I was expecting new babies. (I Might have missed that info in the op) they look very clean and eyes look healthy. Oh bless
Cute kittens. Mum is obviously doing a good job
beefkr10z11 h, 27 m ago

Don’t move. Their vision is based on movement. They can’t see you if you do …Don’t move. Their vision is based on movement. They can’t see you if you don’t move.

33983889-xhC6n.jpg
AngryKelvin11 h, 56 m ago

Even though they have gone, might be an idea to still put food and water …Even though they have gone, might be an idea to still put food and water out each day in the same place for a little while. Quite likely she'll come and check for it.

I will do..I did leave some out but she hasn't been, but will continue to do so if it saves her from looking for food and spending more time with her babies.
LeahsMintytoutou11 h, 45 m ago

OH wow they are big! I was expecting new babies. (I Might have missed that …OH wow they are big! I was expecting new babies. (I Might have missed that info in the op) they look very clean and eyes look healthy. Oh bless

so do you think they are few weeks old then?
samzam19 m ago

They look four or five weeks old to me. They look healthy and well fed.
samzam22 m ago

Yeah I'd guess about 3 weeks - 4 weeks. I'm no expert though I'm just going by the ones that were in my garden
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants