Knitting question - what is meant by bind off 1x3, 1x2, 1x1 at both edges every 4 rows?

Found 3rd JunEdited by:"sydney2"
It's for armhole Thank you kindly for help
Community Updates
Ask
37 Comments
That's called making a raglan. What are the exact instructions? I'll decipher it for you
psychobitchfromhell37 m ago

That's called making a raglan. What are the exact instructions? I'll …That's called making a raglan. What are the exact instructions? I'll decipher it for you

Thank you for reply, here are instructions: continue work in garter st. when work measure measures 46 cm for armholes bind off 1x3, 1x2, and 1x1 st, at both edges every 4 rows. When work measures 64cm for neckline shaping bind off the centre 44 st and work each half separately. At neck edge continue binding off 3x4 sts, every 2 rows. When work measures 66 cm bind off shoulder sts . Thank you very much for help also with the 3x 4 sts
Edited by: "sydney2" 3rd Jun
I would say that means that when the work measures 46cm, cast off three stitches at each end of the first row, work three rows without casting off any stitches,two stitches at each end of the fifth row then one stitch at each end of the ninth row. Then you don't cast off any more stitches until the work is 64cm. Then you start forming the neckline by casting off the middle 44stitches (so say you had 64 stitches you would knit the first ten then cast off the next 44 and be left with ten) you then work the two shoulder edges separately, so you would just be working with the ten or so stitches from one side to the end of the pattern then you would reattach the yarn and work the other shoulder. Does that make sense ?
psychobitchfromhell20 m ago

I would say that means that when the work measures 46cm, cast off three …I would say that means that when the work measures 46cm, cast off three stitches at each end of the first row, work three rows without casting off any stitches,two stitches at each end of the fifth row then one stitch at each end of the ninth row. Then you don't cast off any more stitches until the work is 64cm. Then you start forming the neckline by casting off the middle 44stitches (so say you had 64 stitches you would knit the first ten then cast off the next 44 and be left with ten) you then work the two shoulder edges separately, so you would just be working with the ten or so stitches from one side to the end of the pattern then you would reattach the yarn and work the other shoulder. Does that make sense ?

Thank you very much for help it does make sense. Thank
sydney21 m ago

Thank you very much for help it does make sense. Thank

Need any help just shout out.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 49 m ago

I would say that means that when the work measures 46cm, cast off three …I would say that means that when the work measures 46cm, cast off three stitches at each end of the first row, work three rows without casting off any stitches,two stitches at each end of the fifth row then one stitch at each end of the ninth row. Then you don't cast off any more stitches until the work is 64cm. Then you start forming the neckline by casting off the middle 44stitches (so say you had 64 stitches you would knit the first ten then cast off the next 44 and be left with ten) you then work the two shoulder edges separately, so you would just be working with the ten or so stitches from one side to the end of the pattern then you would reattach the yarn and work the other shoulder. Does that make sense ?

Once again, thank you was rather confusing for me without ur help
sydney22 m ago

Once again, thank you was rather confusing for me without ur help

no problem. I've knitted hundreds. Just let me know if you need more help.
Just popped in to say what a lovely little thread, this is exactly why it’s good to be a member on here. Even the most obscure question can be easily answered by others.
Toptrumpet41 m ago

Just popped in to say what a lovely little thread, this is exactly why …Just popped in to say what a lovely little thread, this is exactly why it’s good to be a member on here. Even the most obscure question can be easily answered by others.

I would love to be good at crafts. The only thing I can do is knit. I don't know why, it is just something I can do. My sister can sew. When I broke my ankle a few weeks ago and I was stuck unable to do anything, I thought it would be a good time to learn how to sew. Still no good at it but I have made a couple of things which vaguely resembled the picture in the book. Better than being stuck at home immobile watching jeremy Kyle for twelve weeks
Toptrumpet5 h, 41 m ago

Just popped in to say what a lovely little thread, this is exactly why …Just popped in to say what a lovely little thread, this is exactly why it’s good to be a member on here. Even the most obscure question can be easily answered by others.

This is so true and knitting is making a come back again with the younger ones so it's so nice seeing someone asking for help and a fellow knitter coming out of the woodwork to help.

It's a great way to while away the time, my current projects through work is teddies for tragedy and sensory bands for dementia sufferers.

I'm a civil servant and the amount of charity work / fund raising done though out the country is staggering, but done quietly and the general public don't really hear about it. We are a generous lot with many teaching others to knit too.
cheekyweegit2 h, 56 m ago

This is so true and knitting is making a come back again with the younger …This is so true and knitting is making a come back again with the younger ones so it's so nice seeing someone asking for help and a fellow knitter coming out of the woodwork to help.It's a great way to while away the time, my current projects through work is teddies for tragedy and sensory bands for dementia sufferers. I'm a civil servant and the amount of charity work / fund raising done though out the country is staggering, but done quietly and the general public don't really hear about it. We are a generous lot with many teaching others to knit too.

I'd love to help with something like that. Have you a link? Always got half balls of wool to use up
Toptrumpet15 h, 35 m ago

I agree totally
Edited by: "sydney2" 4th Jun
psychobitchfromhell8 h, 23 m ago

I'd love to help with something like that. Have you a link? Always got …I'd love to help with something like that. Have you a link? Always got half balls of wool to use up

I know my local baby unit were always asking for volunteers to knit little bonnets and ‘tabards’ for the premature babies to wear in their incubators.
psychobitchfromhell3rd Jun

no problem. I've knitted hundreds. Just let me know if you need more help.

Hello again, with the bind off 3x4 sts at neck edge,does it mean bind 4 off at both edge of neck and does the 3x means to only do it 3 times once row 1 then row 3 then row 5 and no more binding off, thank you for hel
sydney21 h, 6 m ago

Hello again, with the bind off 3x4 sts at neck edge,does it mean bind 4 …Hello again, with the bind off 3x4 sts at neck edge,does it mean bind 4 off at both edge of neck and does the 3x means to only do it 3 times once row 1 then row 3 then row 5 and no more binding off, thank you for hel

Four stitches three times every other row at the neck edge only, not at the shoulder edge. So thats the middle bit where you cast off the 44stitches not the bit where the sleeve will be sewn in. So you're casting off four stitches, working to the end of the row then working a row without casting off and repeating that twice more. It isn't you by the way, it isn't a very well written pattern.
psychobitchfromhell5 h, 21 m ago

Four stitches three times every other row at the neck edge only, not at …Four stitches three times every other row at the neck edge only, not at the shoulder edge. So thats the middle bit where you cast off the 44stitches not the bit where the sleeve will be sewn in. So you're casting off four stitches, working to the end of the row then working a row without casting off and repeating that twice more. It isn't you by the way, it isn't a very well written pattern.

Thank you very much
@sydney2 when you’ve finished could you possibly upload a picture of the jumper?? So that we can see what you’ve made, it might inspire others to get knitting.Thanks
sydney22 h, 49 m ago

Thank you very much

Very welcome. Keep up the good work
psychobitchfromhell7th Jun

Very welcome. Keep up the good work

Hello again, was doing the front and have got an extra couple of garter rows on the right before binding 3 off at neck compared to left side. Can I somehow cut the 2 rows out or no way at all have to totally undo all rows on top of it and fix it then. Knitted all the way to the shoulder and then noticed it. About 22 rows from top about 35 stitches row I to 14stitches row 22. Thanks for help. Seems to me have to undo. Thank u for hel
Toptrumpet7th Jun

@sydney2 when you’ve finished could you possibly upload a picture of the j …@sydney2 when you’ve finished could you possibly upload a picture of the jumper?? So that we can see what you’ve made, it might inspire others to get knitting.Thanks

Will try, don't know yet how to upload phot
sydney23 m ago

Hello again, was doing the front and have got an extra couple of garter …Hello again, was doing the front and have got an extra couple of garter rows on the right before binding 3 off at neck compared to left side. Can I somehow cut the 2 rows out or no way at all have to totally undo all rows on top of it and fix it then. Knitted all the way to the shoulder and then noticed it. About 22 rows from top about 35 stitches row I to 14stitches row 22. Thanks for help. Seems to me have to undo. Thank u for hel

it's unlikely to make a lot of difference. I wouldn't worry about it.
Toptrumpet7th Jun

@sydney2 when you’ve finished could you possibly upload a picture of the j …@sydney2 when you’ve finished could you possibly upload a picture of the jumper?? So that we can see what you’ve made, it might inspire others to get knitting.Thanks

when i was a child, i was given a knitting kit for christmas and i was so disappointed as i wanted something to play with, not work with! it went in the bin and i have to say that was one of the most disappointing christmas presents that i have ever been given.

however, a few years ago i saw a colleague knitting during her lunchtime. when i asked her about what she was making, she showed me it was camping fire, which she was knitting for charity and it looked really good.

i would certainly be interested in learning to knit and this thread has made me wonder. i will have a look at some you tube videos now that you have mentioned this.
psychobitchfromhell22 m ago

it's unlikely to make a lot of difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks stayed up till about 3:30 am wondering about how to fix it. Thanks I will leave it as is and continu
mutley144 m ago

when i was a child, i was given a knitting kit for christmas and i was so …when i was a child, i was given a knitting kit for christmas and i was so disappointed as i wanted something to play with, not work with! it went in the bin and i have to say that was one of the most disappointing christmas presents that i have ever been given.however, a few years ago i saw a colleague knitting during her lunchtime. when i asked her about what she was making, she showed me it was camping fire, which she was knitting for charity and it looked really good.i would certainly be interested in learning to knit and this thread has made me wonder. i will have a look at some you tube videos now that you have mentioned this.

give it a go. It isn't hard once you get the hang of it
sydney229 m ago

Thanks stayed up till about 3:30 am wondering about how to fix it. Thanks …Thanks stayed up till about 3:30 am wondering about how to fix it. Thanks I will leave it as is and continu

You won't even notice
sydney24 h, 17 m ago

Will try, don't know yet how to upload phot

Go to post a comment and you should see underneath to the right a blue ‘image’ box, click on that and thenselect upload image and go from there.
psychobitchfromhell3 h, 41 m ago

give it a go. It isn't hard once you get the hang of it

as far as i understand as i have never done any knitting, it is a matter of learning to do the stitches, if that is what you call them, which is the easy part. the hard part is to make something out of the stitches.

my mother did learn to knit at one point when i was a kid and she learnt how to do the stitches, but she never mastered what to do once she had learnt how to do the stitches so she gave up.

it will interesting to learn, even if i only manage to learn to do the stitches.
mutley12 m ago

as far as i understand as i have never done any knitting, it is a matter …as far as i understand as i have never done any knitting, it is a matter of learning to do the stitches, if that is what you call them, which is the easy part. the hard part is to make something out of the stitches.my mother did learn to knit at one point when i was a kid and she learnt how to do the stitches, but she never mastered what to do once she had learnt how to do the stitches so she gave up.it will interesting to learn, even if i only manage to learn to do the stitches.

Even if you just learn the basic knit stitch and nothing else you can make a scarf like Dr who
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

Even if you just learn the basic knit stitch and nothing else you can make …Even if you just learn the basic knit stitch and nothing else you can make a scarf like Dr who

really? that sounds great. brilliant
mutley12 m ago

really? that sounds great. brilliant

Yeah. Called garter stitch. Uber simple
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

Yeah. Called garter stitch. Uber simple

maybe that was where my mother went wrong. she started with trying to knit a jumper for my brother but she never managed to get very far. she should have started with something easier like a scarf.

i already have a lot of scarfs but i can always do with more so will look into starting one. thanks.
mutley11 m ago

maybe that was where my mother went wrong. she started with trying to …maybe that was where my mother went wrong. she started with trying to knit a jumper for my brother but she never managed to get very far. she should have started with something easier like a scarf.i already have a lot of scarfs but i can always do with more so will look into starting one. thanks.

Give me a shout if you need a hand
psychobitchfromhell18 m ago

Give me a shout if you need a hand

Needless to say, there will be a post from me soon on ask about knitting. Lol
mutley15 m ago

Needless to say, there will be a post from me soon on ask about knitting. …Needless to say, there will be a post from me soon on ask about knitting. Lol

Wouldn’t you be better off learning how to crochet? That way you could use your sewing skills and use the crocheted works as embellishments
Toptrumpet47 m ago

Wouldn’t you be better off learning how to crochet? That way you could use …Wouldn’t you be better off learning how to crochet? That way you could use your sewing skills and use the crocheted works as embellishments

I have never heard of crochet. What is crochet? I will have to Google it.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 10th Jun
Toptrumpet14 m ago

ExampleCrochet lace

wow. i never knew that. i always thought they were the same as knitting. i will have a look thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants