Expired

Knowhow, Cracked My TV's Screen, Repair or Replace?

Found 11th Aug 2012
2 of my 3 hdmi ports stopped working on my LG PZ550T TV, Also my Virgin HD box hdmi port and PS3's hdmi port have also stopped working, I've tested them with different hdmi cables on two other tv's, reset them etc.. I know 100% that the cables are fine, How bizarre.

Also tested the original hdmi cables and they work fine on the other tv's with different devices, Xbox and DVD player etc.. What could of caused all the hdmi ports to become faulty?

Could the tv have blown them? or power surge? What are the odds?

Anyway to top it off, Knowhow have managed to crack the tv screen as I sent it off for an in-warranty repair, They've accepted liability.

I've suggested that they offer a replacement and the manager agreed that was probably the best option but they need authorization from another department.

They may just repair it, Anyway anyone else had any issues with knowhow?

24 Comments

A cracked screen will not be repaired. It will be replaced normally via vouchers, but based on spec and not price paid.

My advice would be to stop buying all your gear from Dave the dodgy manc!

Original Poster

Peegy

A cracked screen will not be repaired. It will be replaced normally via … A cracked screen will not be repaired. It will be replaced normally via vouchers, but based on spec and not price paid.

I paid £579

The nearest spec'd tv is currently £699, However that doesn't include 3d glasses, Does that mean I'd receive vouchers to that that value?.

The nearest tv that matches that includes glasses is £799.

However glasses for the one at £699 are £59.99.

The Knowhow Team, they couldn't have chosen a better name !! They sure " Know how " to ruin everything they touch.

Bunch of incompetents.

Original Poster

markq

My advice would be to stop buying all your gear from Dave the dodgy manc! … My advice would be to stop buying all your gear from Dave the dodgy manc!

Lol, virgin will replace the VHD box, Going to let the kids have the PS3 as I don't play on it anyway.

Quite bizarre that 4 hdmi ports should go faulty all at the same time, must be the tv that blew them.

shauneco

I paid £579The nearest spec'd tv is currently £699, However that doesn't i … I paid £579The nearest spec'd tv is currently £699, However that doesn't include 3d glasses, Does that mean I'd receive vouchers to that that value?.The nearest tv that matches that includes glasses is £799.However glasses for the one at £699 are £59.99.

You will probably have to get the store to take that up with them. Price given will probably be just for TV.

Original Poster

Inactive

The Knowhow Team, they couldn't have chosen a better name !! They sure " … The Knowhow Team, they couldn't have chosen a better name !! They sure " Know how " to ruin everything they touch.Bunch of incompetents.

Initially they suggested it was me that cracked the screen lol, Then they had the pic's mailed to them and the collection report etc..

I informed them that only one of the collection people carried the tv to the van, Which is where apparently they box it and do the checks etc.. He was astonished that only one of them carried the tv, bare in mind it is a 50" plasma lol, They initially ticked a box that stated that it was ok, then scribbled it out and said it was cracked. Also he suggested that it did indeed look like stress cracks rather than impact etc..

Original Poster

Peegy

You will probably have to get the store to take that up with them. Price … You will probably have to get the store to take that up with them. Price given will probably be just for TV.

So might have a little battle on my hands when going to pick a new tv then, Not bothered about the glasses anyway as don't watch 3d, Was just a good deal at the time.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 11th Aug 2012

Original Poster

Status has changed to "Repair finished"

Look's like I'm going to be getting it back after all, However been informed that just because the repair is finished it doesn't mean I'll get it back lol, They could still offer a replacement instead, However apparently the system is accurate.

In reality they've got no idea lol, Wished I'd gone direct with LG, I suspect with the knowhow reviews it'll be returned to me in a poor state, The original fault will be unfixed and I'll have to deal with them again..!!!

Buy from John Lewis in future, they don't have a " Knowhow " team, but they do know how to look after their customers.(_;)

Original Poster

Can confirm, They've repaired it apparently, Will get it back tomorrow, We'll see.

I just called them on your behalf, they have used sticky tape on your screen to fix it

shauneco

Can confirm, They've repaired it apparently, Will get it back tomorrow, … Can confirm, They've repaired it apparently, Will get it back tomorrow, We'll see.

I would go over it carefully to make sure everything is 100%.

Original Poster

Inactive

I would go over it carefully to make sure everything is 100%.

I will be doing, When it's returned going to do a full inspection, Test everything etc, If not they can take it back, Will not sign for it, They have 28 days.

I have read the reviews, Now the original date for return was the 14th, It's scheduled for the 14th so other than them cracking the screen they've been ok.

I don't expect this to be the end though.

Banned

You can't go direct with LG, they will state 1st year is with retailer. Btw LG are ****, had a blu ray player go tits up just out of warranty. Argos were brilliant though once the sales rep understood the sales of goods act.

Original Poster

lumoruk

You can't go direct with LG, they will state 1st year is with retailer. … You can't go direct with LG, they will state 1st year is with retailer. Btw LG are ****, had a blu ray player go tits up just out of warranty. Argos were brilliant though once the sales rep understood the sales of goods act.

Hence why I went via Curry's knowhow, But thanks for the input, I've got a few LG products and they've been fine, Think the tv busted because a power surge.

Original Poster

Update, Got it back, All scuffed around edges, One of the hdmi ports is still faulty and is missing the stand cover, Not happy lol, They're collecting it again to be checked etc.., Says likely to get a replacement, I'm not going to accept anything less, What a nightmare.

Ask them for a temp replacement, and also extension on warranty as you haven't had it for nearly a month by time you get back. Put official complaint into head office, might get something out of them. I got new replacement after faulty LG lcd monitor came back unrepaired. Also got 20 quid voucher for complaining.

I would never have accepted it back from them in that condition, they really are a disgraceful company.

Original Poster

bigweapon07

Ask them for a temp replacement, and also extension on warranty as you … Ask them for a temp replacement, and also extension on warranty as you haven't had it for nearly a month by time you get back. Put official complaint into head office, might get something out of them. I got new replacement after faulty LG lcd monitor came back unrepaired. Also got 20 quid voucher for complaining.

Yes, Have asked them for a donor tv, He said he'll request one, Hope I get a replacement now, I assume I'll get a 12 month warranty on the replacement, If not I might just request the extra warranty, Thanks.

Original Poster

Inactive

I would never have accepted it back from them in that condition, they … I would never have accepted it back from them in that condition, they really are a disgraceful company.

I checked the hdmi port, It worked however the other one that was faulty still doesn't work, I didn't really notice the prizing marks and scuffing until lifting it off the floor, tbh I was relieved to get it back but the original fault hasn't been resolved, I know the scuffs and scratches are there, They shouldn't be, Also the cover missing just takes the biscuit.

I certainly wouldn't of accepted it back had I seen the scuffs etc.. But was more inclined to make sure it worked..!!!

Buying from Dodgy Dave is starting to sound like a good idea now isnt shauneco?

Despite the fact you are a Man U fan, I know that being without a tv is a nightmare so I am willing to loan you one. Please let me know if you want it.

http://www.about-technology.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Old-TV-Set.jpg

Oops almost forgot to mention, I dont think its HD ready!

Original Poster

*Update* They finally sorted, They replaced mainboard and the Front cover, Essentially it's now a complete new tv lol.

Yeah folks. My Plasma LG 50" in my state of the art home theater room, turned off on its own once again,... heralding THE RETURN of that old familiar 'PINK FUZZY SCREEN' problem again (same thing happened last year). The know how team (what a load of tosh) took it away and brought it back with glue and scuff marks all round the edges of what was once a mint and glossy screen frame. No way was I accepting this...so I demanded it to be returned and put right. They came back again and they fixed the frame back to the glossy shiny black it used to be. ONLY THIS TIME all the screen was cracked!!!! What a load of clowns. This is the thanks you get for paying hundreds of pound into their bank.

I have demanded a total replacement and going to insist a TV to the value of TV and interest paid!! AND NOTHING LESS.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants