KNOWHOW Movie Gift Cards!

Found 22nd Jan 2015
Ok, so I have only just discovered recently that KNOWHOW Movies no longer exists. I have two gift cards for £10 each, which I bought and can no longer use on the site. Phoned CinemaNow (who have taken over KNOWHOW Movies) and they said to me I can use the two gift card towards purchases in store at Currys. Currys confirmed it also over the phone. The cards also have no expiry date.

So the next day (today) I go to the store to use them and spent over two hours in there coming out with only my gift cards!!! Explaining and 'arguing' my point to the store staff (who I might add were not very helpful at all). They instantly do not want to help and are totally against the customer for some reason.

So after speaking with head office, who now say they cannot give me the value of them. They are going to contact CinemaNow and get back to me.

*****I would just like to know:
1) Have you had a gift card for KNOWHOW (or anywhere) that you could no longer use and what was the outcome?
2)What experiences have you had with Currys? Good and bad.

17 Comments

Never had a problem with Currys. Always been perfectly reasonable to me. Don't forget that when in store you are dealing with the frontline staff and not the policy makers so don't give them a hard time unnecessarily.

The staff can only do what their system allows them to do. And after all it was you who forgot about the cards.

Original Poster

Peegy

The staff can only do what their system allows them to do. And after all … The staff can only do what their system allows them to do. And after all it was you who forgot about the cards.

I knew I had the cards. I didn't know they were going to remove the website.

I have cards to the value of £20. Just tried entering the codes into Cinema Now but they were rejected. Looks like I've lost £20in credit and by the sounds of it Currys don't care either!

Peegy

The staff can only do what their system allows them to do. And after all … The staff can only do what their system allows them to do. And after all it was you who forgot about the cards.

It has no expiry date, he can forget all he wants it wont make it invalid.

Currys and PC World in-store staff are clueless.
I've had the misfortune of dealing with several stores, and only once did the person seem courteous, competent and well informed. People often post negative experiences on here.
They have a reputation for up-selling junk at inflated prices. Think HDMI cables https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaNAFeOfV4g

a moral compromise - you can start downloading pirated movies, and the first £20 will be guilt-free
anything after that, and well you're no better than a car thief apparently!!

Original Poster

DennisG

Currys and PC World in-store staff are clueless.I've had the misfortune … Currys and PC World in-store staff are clueless.I've had the misfortune of dealing with several stores, and only once did the person seem courteous, competent and well informed. People often post negative experiences on here.They have a reputation for up-selling junk at inflated prices. Think HDMI cables https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaNAFeOfV4ga moral compromise - you can start downloading pirated movies, and the first £20 will be guilt-free :panything after that, and well you're no better than a car thief apparently!!

Yes, I think the staff in there have no customer service skills whatsoever. Glad to see it is not just me who feels this way. Interesting about the HDMI cables. They can easily make money of people who have little idea or experience about 'technology'.

I have a £10 one and have a thread from Cinema now support guy saying I can use it at Dixons - didn't they go bust sometime ago???!!! Do let me know if you have any joy!

stressedclaire

I have a £10 one and have a thread from Cinema now support guy saying I … I have a £10 one and have a thread from Cinema now support guy saying I can use it at Dixons - didn't they go bust sometime ago???!!! Do let me know if you have any joy!

currys is just the rebranding of dixons, but essentially the same thing

Jammy212

Yes, I think the staff in there have no customer service skills … Yes, I think the staff in there have no customer service skills whatsoever. Glad to see it is not just me who feels this way. Interesting about the HDMI cables. They can easily make money of people who have little idea or experience about 'technology'.

they only exist because to the people who aren't either consumer-savvy or clued up about tech assume that they've reached their dominant position in the market because they must be extremely good. these people make up enough of the market to sustain the chain of stores and keep the myth going. i just don't know how they survived the onslaught of the high street where there were so many other casualties. now they've merged with CPW (equally positioned in their market), they seem to have gone from strength to strength. no idea how they haven't been exposed for the serious flaws in their business model

I have had the exact same problem - I am glad I am not the only one. I also phoned CinemaNow in January when I received the card and I got the same response and the same scenario of not actually being able to spend it at Currys so I just gave up on it. Have you had any response from either companies yet? I would be quite pleased to know if I could in fact use the voucher. Thanks

Original Poster

calwil253

I have had the exact same problem - I am glad I am not the only one. I … I have had the exact same problem - I am glad I am not the only one. I also phoned CinemaNow in January when I received the card and I got the same response and the same scenario of not actually being able to spend it at Currys so I just gave up on it. Have you had any response from either companies yet? I would be quite pleased to know if I could in fact use the voucher. Thanks

Yes, I have now had some luck! After everything mentioned in the post, I have been given £20 from DSG who called me after speaking to their store manager. I had to hand the cards in at the store who destroyed them and then I received a call from DSG who asked me for my bank details. It was alittle strange leaving the store with no proof of handing the cards and nothing to say that they would contact me. However, they did call me in the end and paid me the value of the cards.

Perseverance is a must here!

Original Poster

Jammy212

Yes, I have now had some luck! After everything mentioned in the post, I … Yes, I have now had some luck! After everything mentioned in the post, I have been given £20 from DSG who called me after speaking to their store manager. I had to hand the cards in at the store who destroyed them and then I received a call from DSG who asked me for my bank details. It was alittle strange leaving the store with no proof of handing the cards and nothing to say that they would contact me. However, they did call me in the end and paid me the value of the cards.Perseverance is a must here!

It is also interesting to know that I am not the only one.

Jammy212

It is also interesting to know that I am not the only one.

Thanks for your reply, I will try and get in touch with DSG myself!

Got three £10 cards from KnowHow Movies - had 4 but used one and CinemaNow transferred the remaining credit onto my account with them. Have been in touch with CinemaNow and they simply told me that the cards would not work - I suspected that already. To me its simple you take over ALL the liabilities - which include my credit balance and you should also take over the gift cards, after all if I had credited them to my account they would have transferred to Cinema Now.? I have emailed Cinema Now again but this time no response to my email so far. Does anyone have an address for Cinema Now so I can write to them.

Original Poster

anthony78

Got three £10 cards from KnowHow Movies - had 4 but used one and … Got three £10 cards from KnowHow Movies - had 4 but used one and CinemaNow transferred the remaining credit onto my account with them. Have been in touch with CinemaNow and they simply told me that the cards would not work - I suspected that already. To me its simple you take over ALL the liabilities - which include my credit balance and you should also take over the gift cards, after all if I had credited them to my account they would have transferred to Cinema Now.? I have emailed Cinema Now again but this time no response to my email so far. Does anyone have an address for Cinema Now so I can write to them.

Got this address from their Terms of Service. https://uk.cinemanow.com/terms

CinemaNow Limited
First Floor
41 Chalton Street
London
NW1 1JD

anthony78

Got three £10 cards from KnowHow Movies - had 4 but used one and … Got three £10 cards from KnowHow Movies - had 4 but used one and CinemaNow transferred the remaining credit onto my account with them. Have been in touch with CinemaNow and they simply told me that the cards would not work - I suspected that already. To me its simple you take over ALL the liabilities - which include my credit balance and you should also take over the gift cards, after all if I had credited them to my account they would have transferred to Cinema Now.? I have emailed Cinema Now again but this time no response to my email so far. Does anyone have an address for Cinema Now so I can write to them.

Have you tried contacting DSG as has been explained in this thread you re-opened? Just because you see it that they should accept the gift cards for a site that no-longer exists and you dont want your money back from the company you paid to get the gift cards from doesnt mean you are right.
I would stop trying to cut off your nose to spite your face...

Or you could contact the Daily Mail:p

Alsohttp://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/z/XWgAAOSwpdpVbW6T/$_1.JPG
says they are only valid for 1 year from date of activation. they are activated when you purchase them, like all gift cards, so what is the date on your reciept?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions