Expired

KODI Advice Please - how to install multiple builds on one kodi application

Found 8th Dec 2015
Hi,

Please could someone kindly post any information of how to install multiple builds on one kodi application.

Is it possible to use a wizard to launch different builds

Or

creating profiles to install different builds on.

I have tried the latter using Ares Wizard however it just installs it over the top and not in the specific created profiles.

Ideally I would like to be able to load kodi and switch between:

- Spinz TV
- The black Box
- Schism TV
- The Beast

etc etc.

Many Thanks in Advance
Community Updates
AskKodi
30 Comments
Ares wizard has them all and it's the best multi build wizard!
bootneck42

Ares wizard has them all and it's the best multi build wizard!

I have used ares wizard. Please could you tell me how to install multiple builds so that I can switch between them.

When I have used AresWizard, it installs the new build over the previous:

installed SpinzTV using AresWizard
then installed TheBlackBox using AresWizard

It just writes over the SpinzTV.

How do I install each build on a seperate profile?? Are there settings in AresWizard or in Kodi??

Thanks
You've not said which platform but I presume Android. Re-sign the apk with a different signature.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 8th Dec 2015
dcx_badass

You've not said which platform but I presume Android. Re-sign the apk … You've not said which platform but I presume Android. Re-sign the apk with a different signature.

Mac & android. How do i re-sign the apk with a different signature??
In windows you can do it by having other accounts on the machine. There's no way I know of except that.
http://gizmostorm.com/how-to-install-multiple-instances-of-same-app-on-android/

Try that out.
can you not install each one directly as a source that way you should be able to switch in between
Can you not install XBMC & Kodi on your device with different builds ? I've done that on the Minix box.
Tutorial here. Uses the profiles option on Kodi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec45D5qi-fk

Basically go to profiles, create new profile call it what you like ie TheBlackBox then choose keep sources separate etc then upon finishing choose fresh settings so it doesn't copy your master build. Install whatever wizard you wish then repeat for however many builds you wish.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 9th Dec 2015
cecilmcroberts

Tutorial here. Uses the profiles option on Kodi. … Tutorial here. Uses the profiles option on Kodi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec45D5qi-fkBasically go to profiles, create new profile call it what you like ie TheBlackBox then choose keep sources separate etc then upon finishing choose fresh settings so it doesn't copy your master build. Install whatever wizard you wish then repeat for however many builds you wish.

Hi i have tried this and still no joy.

Fresh installation of kodi
Created 3 profile "A" ,"B" , "C" with sources separate + fresh settings
logged out of master profile
logged into profile "A"
installed AresWizard
installed Spinz TV
restarted kodi
loads into spinz

however it has installed on master profile and deletes other profiles A, B & C ??

Any help is appreciated. I think the issue is Ares Wizard as you cannot choose the profile to install on?!?!

Kevlar Engineer

Hi i have tried this and still no joy.Fresh installation of kodiCreated 3 … Hi i have tried this and still no joy.Fresh installation of kodiCreated 3 profile "A" ,"B" , "C" with sources separate + fresh settingslogged out of master profilelogged into profile "A"installed AresWizardinstalled Spinz TVrestarted kodiloads into spinzhowever it has installed on master profile and deletes other profiles A, B & C ??Any help is appreciated. I think the issue is Ares Wizard as you cannot choose the profile to install on?!?! Is there any other recommended wizards or do I need to find the raw source for each build and bypass the wizard?? Thanks

Is there any other recommended wizards or do I need to find the raw source for each build and bypass the wizard?? Thanks
Kevlar Engineer

Is there any other recommended wizards or do I need to find the raw … Is there any other recommended wizards or do I need to find the raw source for each build and bypass the wizard?? Thanks

Going to have a play around. Windows or android?
cecilmcroberts

Going to have a play around. Windows or android?

Thank you Android and Mac. Thanks
Kevlar Engineer

Thank you Android and Mac. Thanks

I'll play with Android, aint touching Mac!

lol me neither the Mac is to keep my other half quiet!! Thanks

cecilmcroberts

I'll play with Android, aint touching Mac!

A last resort could be to install build 1, then back it up using the BACKUP addon

repeat for builds 2,3 etc

then just use restore for each build you want. Backup and restore takes about 5 minutes. You must manually copy the guisettings.xml from the backup USERDATA folder to your kodi USERDATA folder as for some bizarre reason, this gets missed when restoring.
Kevlar Engineer

lol me neither the Mac is to keep my other half quiet!! Thanks

In principle the method works but the wizards appear to rewrite your settings. Installing each individual part of the builds through the repos do work but its very time consuming. Going back a step why to you want to flick between the builds?
I'd post your question onto one of the builds forums and I'm sure you will get a more technical answer.
cecilmcroberts

In principle the method works but the wizards appear to rewrite your … In principle the method works but the wizards appear to rewrite your settings. Installing each individual part of the builds through the repos do work but its very time consuming. Going back a step why to you want to flick between the builds? I'd post your question onto one of the builds forums and I'm sure you will get a more technical answer.

As builds evolve so quickly it would be good to run different builds in parallel to help me ascertain which i personally find the best. Also quick management of profile builds (deletion and back up settings) without having to complete initial settings with each build installation.

Thanks in advance
cecilmcroberts

In principle the method works but the wizards appear to rewrite your … In principle the method works but the wizards appear to rewrite your settings. Installing each individual part of the builds through the repos do work but its very time consuming. Going back a step why to you want to flick between the builds? I'd post your question onto one of the builds forums and I'm sure you will get a more technical answer.

Hi please could you tell me if you have had any joy? Many Thanks
Kevlar Engineer

Hi please could you tell me if you have had any joy? Many Thanks

Still nothing it seems to be because of the way the wizards are written. The multiple apps sounds in principle and idea although can work on windows have not tried on android. Got a broken arm and leg so I'm not very touch screen friendly to try myself yet!
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 16th Dec 2015
cecilmcroberts

Still nothing it seems to be because of the way the wizards are written. … Still nothing it seems to be because of the way the wizards are written. The multiple apps sounds in principle and idea although can work on windows have not tried on android. Got a broken arm and leg so I'm not very touch screen friendly to try myself yet!

Thank you I'll keep trying forums and update this thread.

Thanks and get well soon.
Sorry to ask my own question, but can you do multiple builds of Amazon fire TV?
well it's been a few years since I posted on here but a friend just gave me a link to this message so you're all in luck

Use the Community Portal add-on from noobsandnerds, all the other "wizards" out there use my old (now VERY dated and VERY clunky) code. Basically when Community Builds started off over a year ago the original code that was still in early beta development was copied by a lot of others and they never bothered trying to improve it. The noobsandnerds team have spent the last year refining that code and I can assure you there's not an add-on out there anything like Community Portal, "builds" are just a small part of the add-on so I'll let you all test it out.

So can you install multiple builds on one device? Yes you can but only with the CP add-on

Full details can be found at www.noobsandnerds.com

Have fun and hopefully see you on the forum sometime soon.
Saw a video tutorial on youtube a while back and did attempt adding a new/second profile to which I tried installing ChrisB custom build. This was on an Amazon Fire TV box (v1). Either I did something wrong or it doesn't work?

Have XBMX 13.2 Gotham installed on a desktop PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. If I install kodi without uninstalling XBMC, will they both run independently? If so, I could have separate builds in each.

If not, would the above reply in post #24 apply to a Windows device?

Thanks.
I would like to know if this works on
Just rename the kodi folder in app data, then start kodi install new build then to go back rename folder again to kodi in app data.to return to the original build.
Download Spmc and put a build on that.
whufclee

well it's been a few years since I posted on here but a friend just gave … well it's been a few years since I posted on here but a friend just gave me a link to this message so you're all in luck :)Use the Community Portal add-on from noobsandnerds, all the other "wizards" out there use my old (now VERY dated and VERY clunky) code. Basically when Community Builds started off over a year ago the original code that was still in early beta development was copied by a lot of others and they never bothered trying to improve it. The noobsandnerds team have spent the last year refining that code and I can assure you there's not an add-on out there anything like Community Portal, "builds" are just a small part of the add-on so I'll let you all test it out.So can you install multiple builds on one device? Yes you can but only with the CP add-on :DFull details can be found at www.noobsandnerds.comHave fun and hopefully see you on the forum sometime soon.

​Yo whufclee, nice to see u on here. Mattyspurs here (obsidian and evolution builds). Never knew that cp can do that. But do the builds have to be on cp to be able to use them? I've been of the scene this year, need a break but always wondered about this. I do use profiles, master build of my own in master profile and I've got a kids build/profile that I created using kids addons and backgrounds aswell as a different skin. Never known away to use actual builds from the community for this
mattispurs76

​Yo whufclee, nice to see u on here. Mattyspurs here (obsidian and e … ​Yo whufclee, nice to see u on here. Mattyspurs here (obsidian and evolution builds). Never knew that cp can do that. But do the builds have to be on cp to be able to use them? I've been of the scene this year, need a break but always wondered about this. I do use profiles, master build of my own in master profile and I've got a kids build/profile that I created using kids addons and backgrounds aswell as a different skin. Never known away to use actual builds from the community for this

Just logged in and noticed I had a reply.

Hey bud good to hear from you, to be honest I had other commitments and was fed up with the way the Community Builds stuff was going so focused on other stuff instead. Still works perfectly fine as far as I know but myself and a few others are working on a completely new Profile Switcher add-on. Actually there's a whole load of new add-ons coming out at NaN over the coming weeks/months. The CP everyone is familiar with is due to be shelved and the replacement will be much more modular, the new one will be indistinguishable from the old one (in a good way - much more noob friendly)

However to answer your question, currently yes you do need to use the online form at NaN to get your build to show. CP does have the ability to add the old fashioned text style wizards into it so you can access builds on NaN as well as others from any other URL but I don't think the profile switcher works in conjunction with that.
Edited by: "whufclee" 27th Jul 2016

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants