kodi on an android box or barebones pc?

Found 9th Aug 2015
thinking of getting some sort of box next to my living room TV. have kodi on my laptop but not so sure about this box business. aim to read up on it this week and make a decision, but has anyone got any tips on what they recommend?

I am fairly tech savvy - though no expert!

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskPCAndroidKodi
12 Comments
What about the Fire TV stick with Kodi? it's been a lot better than any Roku box I have owned IMO.
Depends on your needs, if you're just wanting one instance then one installed on a decent android TV stick/box will work fine. If you need a bit more grunt and the ability to do some more things beyond just playing back a media library then a dedicated machine with some more powerful components is best.

Personally I use the latter and it's abused for some lighter gaming, running XBMC/KODI, a plex server, occasional converting duties, internet browser and download system for larger downloads to avoid tying up another computer when they are not needed.

You can in theory do all of that on an android box but it's easier and a more enjoyable experience on a dedicated desktop/laptop.

On the opposite side my father has an android stick I got him for Christmas that is streamed all the media from my aforementioned box and he just uses it to read the emails on the gmail app in Android and run XBMC.
Original Poster
I have heard of this fire stick and seen some stuff on Google about using kodi through it. will read up on it thanks.

I had thought that a nuc PC would give greater scope for dealing with the add ons.
tonyjenks77

I have heard of this fire stick and seen some stuff on Google about using … I have heard of this fire stick and seen some stuff on Google about using kodi through it. will read up on it thanks. I had thought that a nuc PC would give greater scope for dealing with the add ons.

Yes a PC would, it depends on your individual set up as if you use graphics intensive skins with other add ons then a stick/box becomes less slick. However, if you plan to be more simple and down to basics with KODI with little customising then a stick can be the best entry to get what you want.

As a dumb question, do you have any old/broken laptops ie with damaged screens etc? As often these can make a cheap entry to getting yourself set up.
Edited by: "Astec123" 9th Aug 2015
Original Poster
Astec123

Depends on your needs, if you're just wanting one instance then one … Depends on your needs, if you're just wanting one instance then one installed on a decent android TV stick/box will work fine. If you need a bit more grunt and the ability to do some more things beyond just playing back a media library then a dedicated machine with some more powerful components is best. Personally I use the latter and it's abused for some lighter gaming, running XBMC/KODI, a plex server, occasional converting duties, internet browser and download system for larger downloads to avoid tying up another computer when they are not needed.You can in theory do all of that on an android box but it's easier and a more enjoyable experience on a dedicated desktop/laptop. On the opposite side my father has an android stick I got him for Christmas that is streamed all the media from my aforementioned box and he just uses it to read the emails on the gmail app in Android and run XBMC.

handy info - thanks. although not upto speed with this area of tech, I think the dedicated machine would encourage me to read up on it. seems like kodi might require a bit of tinkering now and again so I would like a method that allows this.
Original Poster
Astec123

Yes a PC would, it depends on your individual set up as if you use … Yes a PC would, it depends on your individual set up as if you use graphics intensive skins with other add ons then a stick/box becomes less slick. However, if you plan to be more simple and down to basics with KODI with little customising then a stick can be the best entry to get what you want. As a dumb question, do you have any old/broken laptops ie with damaged screens etc? As often these can make a cheap entry to getting yourself set up.

I have a new laptop, and an ancient desktop. have been successful in installing kodi on the laptop. hoping it will be as simple on the nuc PC!
tonyjenks77

handy info - thanks. although not upto speed with this area of tech, I … handy info - thanks. although not upto speed with this area of tech, I think the dedicated machine would encourage me to read up on it. seems like kodi might require a bit of tinkering now and again so I would like a method that allows this.

Honestly, both allow the same tinkering you speak of. Just have to go about it slightly differently based on individual platforms. As I've said, we set up a home media server with our set up and it grew into everything else over time to add things like gaming etc.

tonyjenks77

I have a new laptop, and an ancient desktop. have been successful in … I have a new laptop, and an ancient desktop. have been successful in installing kodi on the laptop. hoping it will be as simple on the nuc PC!

If you can install an operating system to your computer then you'll have no problem with Kodi on any of a Stick/Box/Nuc/desktop/laptop.
Original Poster
Astec123

Honestly, both allow the same tinkering you speak of. Just have to go … Honestly, both allow the same tinkering you speak of. Just have to go about it slightly differently based on individual platforms. As I've said, we set up a home media server with our set up and it grew into everything else over time to add things like gaming etc. If you can install an operating system to your computer then you'll have no problem with Kodi on any of a Stick/Box/Nuc/desktop/laptop.

thanks! given me some reassurance. will give it a go!
I installed kodi into a fire stick yesterday and I struggle to turn the MAC on sometimes
Android box. The Fire stick is too basic. No connections, very limited, and you're stuck with their version of Android. A lot of Android boxes support other things like OpenELEC and CM. Most come with ethernet and USB ports, optical outputs, AV out, all sorts. You can get a good one for £25.
Im using Kodi on my FireTV and it works flawlessly. Fast, responsive and great remote for navigation.
Original Poster
rev6

Android box. The Fire stick is too basic. No connections, very limited, … Android box. The Fire stick is too basic. No connections, very limited, and you're stuck with their version of Android. A lot of Android boxes support other things like OpenELEC and CM. Most come with ethernet and USB ports, optical outputs, AV out, all sorts. You can get a good one for £25.

thanks for the info!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions