LA or Auckland for 5 days??

I'm flying on from both of these airports but have the potential to take a 5 day holiday in either of these places, but not both.

There's very little price difference - I would be landing at both airports for connecting flights otherwise anyway. And the hotels are free (long story).

I've never been to the USA or New Zealand.

Hopefully one is worth visiting for a few days! Any suggestions?

19 Comments

id suggest dubai

Auckland, NZ is a stunning country

Original Poster

A13

id suggest dubai

I don't stopover at any point in Dubai as - whilst similar flight prices to theLA route, it adds so many hours to the flight time, already at 27 hours each way. And extra hours eat into this 5 day period.

Auckland but hire a car and drive out of the city. Some stunning places to be seen along the north coast and head to Rotarua if you can.
Auckland is busy but once you get out of the city then roads are wide and the scenery is stunning. If you want any tips drop me a message!
I didn't think I'd want to drive in another country but it's the same side of the road and outside Auckland the roads are quiet. So much to go and see!

But LA is also great but I'm lucky we get transported around by family there

We went to both last summer. But NZ is something special!

Original Poster

R0adRat

Auckland, NZ is a stunning country

Thanks. Would you recommend any must-sees whilst there?
Got to make a decision on the destination in the next day, maximum two.

Original Poster

agentjont

Auckland but hire a car and drive out of the city. Some stunning places … Auckland but hire a car and drive out of the city. Some stunning places to be seen along the north coast and head to Rotarua if you can. Auckland is busy but once you get out of the city then roads are wide and the scenery is stunning. If you want any tips drop me a message! I didn't think I'd want to drive in another country but it's the same side of the road and outside Auckland the roads are quiet. So much to go and see! But LA is also great but I'm lucky we get transported around by family there :)We went to both last summer. But NZ is something special!

I might take you up on those tips in a few weeks if you don't mind I didn't really want to drive if in LA as I imagine it would be so congested and other side of the road etc, New Zealand may be OK providing they don't charge an arm and a leg for my age group (23) although I have definitely driven far more/experienced than most of my age group.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 29th Jan

Banned

LA!

Auckland .. Dubai is nowhere near as beautiful..

Firefly1

I might take you up on those tips in a few weeks if you don't mind I … I might take you up on those tips in a few weeks if you don't mind I didn't really want to drive if in LA as I imagine it would be so congested and other side of the road etc, New Zealand may be OK providing they don't charge an arm and a leg for my age group (23) although I have definitely driven far more/experienced than most of my age group.

Yeah I wouldnt want to drive in LA! Altho most of the time you're in traffic anyway. But there's almost no rules on the freeways (undertaking and getting cut up are standard). It's only 10 hours to LA but going to NZ is something you don't get just 'hop' to.

We spent 4 and a bit weeks in NZ and 1 in LA. If you get a Three SIM card - even payg - you can then use the sat nav on your smart phone (google maps was great!). It's called Feel at Home and you can use your data abroad then.

There's a lot of good prices for rental companies for cars. I went all out and for big 4x4 vehicles but hopefully there's something suitable for your price range at your age. You certainly aren't the only person in their early 20s who'd like to drive around some of NZ

I'd agree with @Agentjont above. Hire a car and head out of the city. In the north island I'd recommend Lake Taupo, Rotorua thermals and Waikato caves. There's endless stuff to do and see though so do a bit of Googling and see if it's up your street. It's been several years since I've been back but I would go again in a heartbeat.

For me it would depend on when. Auckland can be cold, wet and windy in winter (our summer). So if going in the next 3 months Auckland. After than LA.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

For me it would depend on when. Auckland can be cold, wet and windy in … For me it would depend on when. Auckland can be cold, wet and windy in winter (our summer). So if going in the next 3 months Auckland. After than LA.

LA would be early March whilst Auckland would be early April as that just happens to be when we would be passing through both airports. So I think Auckland just about edges it

Edited by: "Firefly1" 29th Jan

Don't do Dubai- I went for a week to visit friends- soulless place

Go to Auckland, hire a car and visit some towns out of the city. The road network is very simple and easy to get around especially with sat nav

Firefly1

LA would be early March whilst Auckland would be early April as that just … LA would be early March whilst Auckland would be early April as that just happens to be when we would be passing through both airports. So I think Auckland just about edges it

Yes definitely. Besides chances are at some point in the future you will get a chance to pass through LA, which is unlikely with Auckland. Enjoy you trip.

Auckland without question. There are many beautiful places close by. I recommend the ferry to Waiheke Island and the local bus on the Island as a great day trip.
Have a great time.

Auckland - no comparison Helps that I have family there!

Been to both, Auckland without question. Only thing you'll do in LA is get in a cab and be repeatedly asked if you want to see rich peoples houses. If I wanted to look at rich people's houses I could have stayed in the UK.
As for LAX, once got locked in a room for about 10 hours with loads of other transit passengers, 2 vending machines one with a couple of rotten sandwiches the other with fizzy drinks. You couldn't even sleep on the chairs, more comfortable being waterboarded. Never again.

Auckland.

Bay of Islands, Rotourura, Taupo, Tongariro NP, Waitomo Caves and if you are a hobbit/LOTR fan - Hobbiton.

If time is short you can fly from Auckland to say Taupo or Rotourura etc under an hour flight. AirNZ have a sale on for April as I've just booked flights from Auckland to Taupo as we are limited on time, although previously we have spent over 2 weeks in the North.

When? If in next few weeks, then NZ, but if later in year during NZ winter, maybe not - it rains lots. That time of year I'd suggest driving out of LA on Highway 1 along the coast.

If NZ, I'd give Taupo and Rotourua a miss - Coromandel is a bit far perhaps. Consider Mahurangi, Kawau, Bay of Islands. But also lots in and around Auckland - Devonport and Cheltenham Beach, Mission Bay, Waitakere Reserve (get to the waterfalls), Waiheke, etc. Some good vineyards around Auckland if you like wine - some boutique vineyards well worth visiting.

Edited by: "dannz" 1st Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any know of offers on London eye and Maddam Tussauds please11
    2. E-liquid44
    3. Acer RT280k Monitor refuses to sleep.56
    4. Just got Kodi now what?1126

See more discussions