labour for garden fence?

Found 8th Feb 2015
I have a question regarding the cost of labour for putting on a garden fence, don't know of a better place to ask.

My garden is average to medium sized, recently my fence tore off due to rapid winds - so I decided to put on a new one.

I've bought all of the necessary supplies, when seeking help for putting it on the person I asked said he wanted £450 for labour.

The person told me that the job would be finished within one day. Let's say it takes 10 hours from start to finish, I'd be paying him £45 per hour - which is a bit much, is it not?

Any suggestions on whether I should go ahead with this price?

Anyone else put on garden fence? What was labour charge?
Community Updates
AskFenceGarden
33 Comments
£450 for a days work? Cash in hand.

No, £150 top whack. Include three/cups of tea,coffee, some hobnobs and a beer when finished.
Original Poster
Mark2111

£450 for a days work? Cash in hand.No, £150 top whack. Include three/cups … £450 for a days work? Cash in hand.No, £150 top whack. Include three/cups of tea,coffee, some hobnobs and a beer when finished.

Guy is not willing to negotiate. Problem is I am unable to find anyone else and the fence is completely off, feeling like an absolute mug at the moment but needs must I guess.
Dig holes get some concrete pour into hole and set posts in then attatch fence panels. You could even do it yourself
Why not put an ad in gumtree or take a look on Yell/yellow pages?

Alternately ask here saying where you are & others can make recommendations from work they have had done.
1-2 days work max. Don't pay anymore than £220!
go on my builder.com post a job and ppl will contact u wgo can do the job.... and u can also check there reviews
how many panels need putting up they are a rip u off but at least they been honest in telling u its gonna take them a day if u already had panels in place have the posts been ripped out or just the fence panels put ad on mybuilder and othersites like that say how many panels need putting up and say u want someone to do a decent job should be around 100 Max if it's a one guy job as its not really a too skilled job labourers can do these types of job and they usually get paid 40/60 pounds per day most Midlands and northern areas of UK unless u down London not sure what the rate is but can't imagine it to be too much more than this
Original Poster
ibiza

Why not put an ad in gumtree or take a look on Yell/yellow … Why not put an ad in gumtree or take a look on Yell/yellow pages?Alternately ask here saying where you are & others can make recommendations from work they have had done.

You never know what type of people you'll get on Gumtree:p, will have a look on Gumtree thanks for the suggestion;)
amadahmed2

You never know what type of people you'll get on Gumtree:p, will have a … You never know what type of people you'll get on Gumtree:p, will have a look on Gumtree thanks for the suggestion;)

Well you seem to have found one who wants to screw you over already. But asking here for people in your area for recommendations you stand a better chance of getting someone competent & fair priced.
Original Poster
michelle2509

go on my builder.com post a job and ppl will contact u wgo can do the … go on my builder.com post a job and ppl will contact u wgo can do the job.... and u can also check there reviews

Will do thanks!
Original Poster
muddassarsardar

how many panels need putting up they are a rip u off but at least they … how many panels need putting up they are a rip u off but at least they been honest in telling u its gonna take them a day if u already had panels in place have the posts been ripped out or just the fence panels put ad on mybuilder and othersites like that say how many panels need putting up and say u want someone to do a decent job should be around 100 Max if it's a one guy job as its not really a too skilled job labourers can do these types of job and they usually get paid 40/60 pounds per day most Midlands and northern areas of UK unless u down London not sure what the rate is but can't imagine it to be too much more than this

London is a rip off I'm afraid:(

Comment

amadahmed2

London is a rip off I'm afraid:(

I agree - for one side of 6ft fencing plus those concrete board things along 70ft was £1k. Good quality fence though, no cheap rubbish ;-)

We used Checkatrade I think.....
Just having my garden done, I'm paying £3500 for closeboard fence (25m), 8 Meter pig wire fence, breaking up and removing old fences, plus removing slabs, tiles, concrete path, and loads of soil& rubbish, skip and grab a lorry pickup incl. 20 tonnes top soil to be delivered and spread out.

Also includes 9 sleepers (3x3)to separate part of the garden
Edited by: "sbirsen" 8th Feb 2015
Original Poster
sbirsen

Just having my garden done, I'm paying £3500 for closeboard fence (25m), … Just having my garden done, I'm paying £3500 for closeboard fence (25m), 8 Meter pig wire fence, breaking up and removing old fences, plus removing slabs, tiles, concrete path, and loads of soil& rubbish, skip and grab a lorry pickup incl. 20 tonnes top soil to be delivered and spread out

And that's for the whole garden including supplies and labour? I'm just asking someone to put my fence on - including supplies and labour it may cost me 1k now you're doing a whole lot more then I am and it's costing you £3500, to think I'm being charged a third of what you're paying for your while garden for just putting my fence on

Original Poster
FMJ1000

CommentI agree - for one side of 6ft fencing plus those concrete board … CommentI agree - for one side of 6ft fencing plus those concrete board things along 70ft was £1k. Good quality fence though, no cheap rubbish ;-) We used Checkatrade I think.....

Mine is along 35ft half of yours, I've already bought the supplies costing me £500 so if I pay what the builder quoted (£450) I'll be paying a total of £950 for parts and labour £50 less then what you payed for fence double the size. Can I ask how long the job took and whether the price you've stated included parts and labour or just one out of the two?
which part of london are you in? my bro in law and partner did mine.
amadahmed2

And that's for the whole garden including supplies and labour? I'm just … And that's for the whole garden including supplies and labour? I'm just asking someone to put my fence on - including supplies and labour it may cost me 1k now you're doing a whole lot more then I am and it's costing you £3500, to think I'm being charged a third of what you're paying for your while garden for just putting my fence on

Yes, that's for the whole garden (82 feet x 26 feet or 25m x 8m) including labour and material. 3 guys have been working 4 days this week, and probably will be here another 2 days next week to finish. They're working with a digger and 4 wheel carrier (whatever they're called) to scrape the whole garden, and remove an awful lot of concrete, soil and slabs. This is in St Albans, 20 miles from London.
Banned
if u are around NW London my dad can help u, he charges very resonable rates.
Original Poster
ancaregus

if u are around NW London my dad can help u, he charges very resonable … if u are around NW London my dad can help u, he charges very resonable rates.

I live in east London around an hour away
labour in london is expensive. £450 quoted seem pretty reasonable.
Banned
I will ask him tomorrow if he will be willing to travel.
ibiza

Ask on http://www.myhammer.co.uk/

agreed or ask neighbourhood
mutley1

labour in london is expensive. £450 quoted seem pretty reasonable.

. you're dreaming. £150 max.
£150 a day self employed in London will be earning below minimum wage at a guess....
Banned
themorgatron

£150 a day self employed in London will be earning below minimum wage at … £150 a day self employed in London will be earning below minimum wage at a guess....

care to explain?
my dad charges 70 a day
You can find someone to do job no problem. Local papers. Signed vans you pass. Ask goggle. Ask around. Local Shop windows. Ask a shop keeper if you chit chat with them. Your hair dresser. Post mman will know local folks, Also church notice boards. Community centre notice boards you get the idea. Ask about. I would charge 130 per day around here and London may be a tad more but don't get mugged off .
Original Poster
themorgatron

£150 a day self employed in London will be earning below minimum wage at … £150 a day self employed in London will be earning below minimum wage at a guess....

There is no minimum wage for self employment, In any case if you're self employed and work for 8 hours a day and earn £150 you'd be earning £18.75 per hour on what planet is that below minimum wage???
Original Poster
hasnawaleed123

my dad charges 70 a day

I would be interested!
If he's earning £150 a day a quick breakdown could be:

2 hours for the quote
10 hours for the job
1 hour travel
1 hour for the invoice

That's 14 hours even if you only see him for 11.

Now being self employed he has expenses, let's say £4 an hour as a general tradesman in London (think insurance, holiday pay, ongoing training etc)

So 14 hours of £4/hour expenses £56. £150-£56 = £94.

94\14= £6.71/hour.
taffyevans

. you're dreaming. £150 max.

in that case, can you do the job for the OP then?
amadahmed2

I would be interested!

Where do you live
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants