Lack of tiredness vitamin C

Posted 6th Jun
Last night I had some Maynards Super Fruit Jellies. I only had a few of the candies but then noticed on the back of the packet it says it contains vitamins C and E, and also says that vitamin C reduces tiredness.

I couldn't sleep at all last night and was wide awake on my daily late night video call to my mates by which point I usually struggle to keep my eyes open after an hour.

Does anyone know if this will be coincidence or due to the vitamin C in the product?

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It is probably more about the sugar and the energy that comes from that.
It may be more to do with all the pepsi, chocolate and fast food you eat.
9 Comments
It is probably more about the sugar and the energy that comes from that.
Apart from the obvious above post, its perfectly normal to have nights when you find it hard to sleep.

Your body does not operate in perfect 24hr time cycle!

If vitamin C in some sweets was the answer staying awake, they would be the ultimate jetlag cure and be well known!

The amount of Vit C in there is probably fairly low in relation to your RDA.
It may be more to do with all the pepsi, chocolate and fast food you eat.
Any health features listed on a pack of sweets is marketing rubbish to hide the rest of the unhealthy aspects.
bozo00706/06/2020 17:40

Any health features listed on a pack of sweets is marketing rubbish to …Any health features listed on a pack of sweets is marketing rubbish to hide the rest of the unhealthy aspects.

Any health claims on posts on HUKD too.

So many overpriced supplements with zero proven health benefits or apple cider vinegar which people swear by even though it's nonsense.
What were you doing before your went to sleep? It's definitely a case that both Pepsi and chocolate contain caffiene that can make you feel more wide awake and interefere with sleep. But things like using a computer or other electronic device just before bed can affect sleep. I wouldn't have thought that having a couple of fruit jellies would give you a dose of vitamin C that would keep you awake. As said above, those types of claims about vitamins in sweets are a little tenuous.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 7th Jun
Haircut_10006/06/2020 18:49

What were you doing before your went to sleep? It's definitely a case that …What were you doing before your went to sleep? It's definitely a case that both Pepsi and chocolate contain caffiene that can make you feel more wide awake and interefere with sleep. But things like using a computer or other electronic device just before bed can affect sleep. I wouldn't have thought that having a couple of fruit jellies would given you a dose of vitamin C that would keep you awake. As said above, those types of claims about vitamins in sweets are a little tenuous.

Myself and my mates usually video call and play some Mario Kart online each night and usually I have no issues sleeping.

I definitely limit myself with candy / chocolate and Pepsi Max, and I don't have any late at night. The Maynards jellies I mentioned were eaten a few hours before sleeping. It may be a coincidence I suppose. Thanks for your comment and everyone else with helpful replies
na, vitamin C doesn't keep you awake

i find for me, caffeine keeps me awake so i avoid tea and coffee after 6pm. worry is also a sleep killer for me.
Gotta agree with the OP. I take Vit C. And find that it does keep me awake therefore I choose to take it in the daytime.
Post a comment
@
    Text