Ladders on car roof

Posted 3rd Dec
how do I put some ladders into my car roof?

I have roof bars on the car

the ladders are very long. 3.8m
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Like this, bonus is, you get rid of pesky cyclists at the same time
39242404-vEynk.jpgI am joking, just incase you're a snowflake
16 Comments
Thats not very long

when you say roof bars do you mean the rails along the side or rails and bars across? You need the cross bars. Lift the ladder up onto the side bars and either tie down if this is a one off or if you are going to be doing it regularly then get a ladder hook screwfix.com/p/u…74p

tie a rag to the end of the ladder so that following vehicles can easily see that you have a ladder sticking off the back - its hard to judge the length of a ladder looking from behind.
Like this, bonus is, you get rid of pesky cyclists at the same time
39242404-vEynk.jpgI am joking, just incase you're a snowflake
mas9903/12/2019 13:20

Thats not very long when you say roof bars do you mean the rails along …Thats not very long when you say roof bars do you mean the rails along the side or rails and bars across? You need the cross bars. Lift the ladder up onto the side bars and either tie down if this is a one off or if you are going to be doing it regularly then get a ladder hook https://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-ladder-clamps-for-vehicles-2-pack/1774ptie a rag to the end of the ladder so that following vehicles can easily see that you have a ladder sticking off the back - its hard to judge the length of a ladder looking from behind.

Thanks. Yes it's the bars along either side of the roof so i need cross bars

Good advice. Cheers
I use a set of clamps like these - amazon.co.uk/XTo…c=1

But you also need the cross pieces for your roof bars
ScubaDudes03/12/2019 14:02

I use a set of clamps like these - …I use a set of clamps like these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/XTools-Universal-Ladder-Secure-Lockable/dp/B01BGUGARY/ref=asc_df_B01BGUGARY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231955923269&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16772134394501949290&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046377&hvtargid=pla-557416604581&psc=1But you also need the cross pieces for your roof bars

Who can I get the cross pieces off for a decent price please
efc_4ever03/12/2019 14:08

Other than searching Google and ebay for roof bars for your particular model, I don't know any specific websites.
i've got a strap on*

(for carrying stuff on the roof of various cars) takes a bit of setting up the first time thereafter its a 10 minute job.
Have carried projector screens & ladders etc no problem on smaller cars.

lightweight & cheap but does the job.Similar to this
amazon.co.uk/Str…CHD
Mr_Gus03/12/2019 14:32

i've got a strap on*(for carrying stuff on the roof of various cars) takes …i've got a strap on*(for carrying stuff on the roof of various cars) takes a bit of setting up the first time thereafter its a 10 minute job.Have carried projector screens & ladders etc no problem on smaller cars.lightweight & cheap but does the job.Similar to thishttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwize-SWRB6-Easy-Rack-Soft/dp/B00GOLJLO0/ref=pd_sbs_263_4/262-0650954-6708654?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GOLJLO0&pd_rd_r=25aeaa05-5a31-4745-aa56-ef4936378f28&pd_rd_w=uLz0J&pd_rd_wg=RY4uf&pf_rd_p=f4a31d1d-8f61-48f5-b6f4-a22ba06df575&pf_rd_r=ZY33210BTGH954XE4CHD&psc=1&refRID=ZY33210BTGH954XE4CHD

Excellent

Was just looking at this actually on Argos
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 3rd Dec
All I can say, is that you have dog leads / straps, climbing karabiners (proper ones) etc you will feel a lot more secure fixing anything to something. (ie lots of tied down points) regardless of what you settle on.

However yes, can vouchsafe we've used ours (not that manufacturer but another whose name eludes me unless I fish out the bag)
Hook points for these wee beasties are: the door jams & hinges, & the rear of the hatch lip (upper jam) for even tensioning.
We tended not to drive over 70mph when loaded.
Good kit to keep around that works for us.
mas9903/12/2019 13:20

Thats not very long

If only that was the first time I'd ever heard that
How highs your car roof and have you considered a loft hatch in the car roof? YW
esar03/12/2019 13:31

Like this, bonus is, you get rid of pesky cyclists at the same time[Image] …Like this, bonus is, you get rid of pesky cyclists at the same time[Image] I am joking, just incase you're a snowflake

lol, and a few pedestrians as well by the look of it
esar03/12/2019 15:34

Remember this one …Remember this one https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2019-10-09/car-spotted-on-a48-with-ladder-sticking-out-window/

i haven't seen that one, that is crazy. at least in the pic you posted, the guy had the sense to put part of the ladder through the back door! that one in the video will definitely pick off pedestrians when he gets off the motorway.
efc_4ever03/12/2019 14:08

How often will you be transporting the ladders? It would help to say what car and year it is that you have.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions