Ladies bike - can anyone tell me if this bike is any good?

From Go Outdoors - as I know nothing about bikes, can you tell me the pros and cons of this one ?

A great looking trekking bike with a comfortable upright riding position, an ideal choice for your daily commute.

Rear pannier rack

Front & rear full mudguards

Great for use on roads, canal paths and defined trails

Wheel Size: 700c

Frame: Hi-Tensile Ladies Trekking Frame

Fork: Hi-Tensile fork with ovalised blades

No. of Gears: 18

Gear Shifters: Shimano STI Shifters

Front Derailleur: Shimano

Rear Derailleur: Shimano

Chainset: 24/34/42 Tooth Chainset with 170mm Cranks

Brakes - Type: V Shape

Brakes - Levers: Alloy Shimano 3-Finger Levers

Rims: Viking 700c alloy 36 hole hybrid rims

Tyres: 700c x 38c Black Trekking Tyres with Gumwall Sides

Stem: Quill stem

Saddle: Viking Ladies Embossed Brown Comfort Saddle

Handlebar: 600mm Trekking Style Lo-Rise Handlebar

Bottom Bracket: Cartridge

Pedals: Black Non-Slip Trekking Style Pedals

Seatpost: CP Seat Post

Freewheel: Shimano 14-28 Tooth

gooutdoors.co.uk/vik…959

29 Comments

Generally with cheap bikes, you'll find they need constant adustment. Fine if you're mechanically minded and can solve the annoying things yourself, not so great if you find yourself having to pay someone else. I'd recommend spending more on a bike from a local bike shop with free tune ups, assuming you can find a good bike shop. Or look to buy a second hand bike from a charity place that show you how to fix your own bikes and allow you to use their workshops.

it's fine.
what ever bike that you buy and how much or how little you pay , it will still need maintaining just the same.
Buy it and at any point you find yourself smilling then you will have made the right decision

As a keen female cyclist, definitely not in anyway an expert. I would ask you what type of riding are you thinking of doing? I would also recommend you find a good local bike shop. They are worth the extra you might initially spend on a bike many times over.

my suggestion I did it myself...Get a 9kg hybrid boardman mx race....Not this one, it will be a heavy bike hence you won't use it much as you get tired real quick on a heavy bike...a nice boardman will set you back 500£ but it will last forever with minimum maintenance...and you will get your money back in the first year if you go to work on it everyday like I do...

Don't get it!
Viking Cycles Dependent 1908 First Dependent in Wolverhampton in 1908 the Viking emblem has a history, wealthy within the tradition of high quality road bikes during the century. High quality, taste and sturdiness have at all times been the hallmarks of Viking cycles. Lately’s Vikings include the ones core qualities and glance to widen the variety to fit the ever increasing demands of adjusting life. For 2015 the variety contains: Road, Fastened Wheel, Trekking, Convenience, Heritage, Tandems, Urban Sport, E-Bikes and Town Folders. Each and every style now utilizes the technical developments of Lately’s manufacturing processes and light-weight tubing. 2015 Viking Buttermere Girls Conventional 18sp Hybrid Motorcycle The Viking Buttermere hybrid comes provided with a 18 speed Shimano transmission, full mudguards and a rear pannier rack. With a comfy upright using position the Buttermere is an effective way to shuttle, from the occasional jaunt to the malls to a day-to-day shuttle. The Buttermere comes with 700 x 38c wheels that supply the very best steadiness between Convenience and speed, excellent to be used at the road and wide sufficient so that you can take on canal paths and tracks
Frame Development: Hi-tensile steel Girls trekking frame. Forks: Hi-tensile 700c with ovalised fork blades. Wheel Dimension: 700c. Wheel Specification: Viking 700c alloy 36 hole hybrid rims. 700c x 38c black tyres with gumwall aspects.
Equipment System: Shimano 18 speed with Shimano STI shifters, Shimano 14-28T freewheel and Shimano entrance and rear derailleurs. KMC chain. Triple chainset 24/34/42T with 170mm crank arms, cartridge bottom bracket and chainguard. Brakes: Light-weight alloy V sort brakes and Shimano alloy 3-finger levers.
Handlebar and Stem: Low-upward thrust trekking handlebar and quill stem. Further Data: Viking Girls Convenience saddle with a chrome seat post. Convenience grips, trekking taste pedals, rear carrier, entrance & rear mudguards.
Weight: 17.7kg. Frame Color: Burgundy. Fork Color: Burgundy.
Cycle Condition: Up to date sealed in box. This Motorcycle comes ninety% built. Fitting of pedals, stem/bars,entrance mudguard, entrance wheel, entrance brake cable and seat required. Gears and brakes additionally require a few adjustment prior to using.
This bike will put you off cycling for life......overweight and poor wheels and gears.

Edited by: "marty-401" 1st Jan

Original Poster

Bo0td

Generally with cheap bikes, you'll find they need constant adustment. … Generally with cheap bikes, you'll find they need constant adustment. Fine if you're mechanically minded and can solve the annoying things yourself, not so great if you find yourself having to pay someone else. I'd recommend spending more on a bike from a local bike shop with free tune ups, assuming you can find a good bike shop. Or look to buy a second hand bike from a charity place that show you how to fix your own bikes and allow you to use their workshops.

What spec would I be looking for on a more expensive bike? Really looking at £200 max, but know nothing about bike maintenance. Are there certain types of gears, brakes or hubs that are lower maintenance ? Thanks for your help.

Edited by: "gk6277" 1st Jan

Original Poster

Henvig

As a keen female cyclist, definitely not in anyway an expert. I would ask … As a keen female cyclist, definitely not in anyway an expert. I would ask you what type of riding are you thinking of doing? I would also recommend you find a good local bike shop. They are worth the extra you might initially spend on a bike many times over.

Just looking at about 6 mile round trip to work each day, across town. Haven't cycled in a couple of years, am in my 50's and a bit unfit. I find sit up and beg style most comfortable, and know zero about bike maintenance. Not sure what I'm looking for spec wise for easiest maintenance. All suggestions welcome. This applies to new or secondhand bikes, I know nothing about them really. Thanks for your input

Edited by: "gk6277" 1st Jan

Original Poster

somy69pk

my suggestion I did it myself...Get a 9kg hybrid boardman mx race....Not … my suggestion I did it myself...Get a 9kg hybrid boardman mx race....Not this one, it will be a heavy bike hence you won't use it much as you get tired real quick on a heavy bike...a nice boardman will set you back 500£ but it will last forever with minimum maintenance...and you will get your money back in the first year if you go to work on it everyday like I do...

Sadly I know nothing about maintenance of bikes, so building one
E from scratch probably out of the question, also am looking at £200 max budget, am hoping to start cycling to work 6 miles a day, not a serious cyclist as such, just want something of reasonable quality that is easiest to maintain and gives a comfortable ride. Thanks for your input.

Original Poster

marty-401

Don't get it! Viking Cycles Dependent 1908 First Dependent in … Don't get it! Viking Cycles Dependent 1908 First Dependent in Wolverhampton in 1908 the Viking emblem has a history, wealthy within the tradition of high quality road bikes during the century. High quality, taste and sturdiness have at all times been the hallmarks of Viking cycles. Lately’s Vikings include the ones core qualities and glance to widen the variety to fit the ever increasing demands of adjusting life. For 2015 the variety contains: Road, Fastened Wheel, Trekking, Convenience, Heritage, Tandems, Urban Sport, E-Bikes and Town Folders. Each and every style now utilizes the technical developments of Lately’s manufacturing processes and light-weight tubing. 2015 Viking Buttermere Girls Conventional 18sp Hybrid Motorcycle The Viking Buttermere hybrid comes provided with a 18 speed Shimano transmission, full mudguards and a rear pannier rack. With a comfy upright using position the Buttermere is an effective way to shuttle, from the occasional jaunt to the malls to a day-to-day shuttle. The Buttermere comes with 700 x 38c wheels that supply the very best steadiness between Convenience and speed, excellent to be used at the road and wide sufficient so that you can take on canal paths and tracksFrame Development: Hi-tensile steel Girls trekking frame. Forks: Hi-tensile 700c with ovalised fork blades. Wheel Dimension: 700c. Wheel Specification: Viking 700c alloy 36 hole hybrid rims. 700c x 38c black tyres with gumwall aspects.Equipment System: Shimano 18 speed with Shimano STI shifters, Shimano 14-28T freewheel and Shimano entrance and rear derailleurs. KMC chain. Triple chainset 24/34/42T with 170mm crank arms, cartridge bottom bracket and chainguard. Brakes: Light-weight alloy V sort brakes and Shimano alloy 3-finger levers.Handlebar and Stem: Low-upward thrust trekking handlebar and quill stem. Further Data: Viking Girls Convenience saddle with a chrome seat post. Convenience grips, trekking taste pedals, rear carrier, entrance & rear mudguards.Weight: 17.7kg. Frame Color: Burgundy. Fork Color: Burgundy.Cycle Condition: Up to date sealed in box. This Motorcycle comes ninety% built. Fitting of pedals, stem/bars,entrance mudguard, entrance wheel, entrance brake cable and seat required. Gears and brakes additionally require a few adjustment prior to using.This bike will put you off cycling for life......overweight and poor wheels and gears.

Why are the wheels poor? What should I be looking for in wheels and gears for up to £200 in a sit up and beg type bike ? Thanks for your help.

I would say a bike weighing no more than 14Kg max (probably aluminium frame)/double wall aluminium wheels 700c size/shimano altus or better gears (deore would be nice) and no front or rear suspension. How tall are you? (not getting personal but just trying to size an available bike to give you some ideas).

gk6277

What spec would I be looking for on a more expensive bike? Really looking … What spec would I be looking for on a more expensive bike? Really looking at £200 max, but know nothing about bike maintenance. Are there certain types of gears, brakes or hubs that are lower maintenance ? Thanks for your help.

At that price point the quality of the parts will be much the same whatever bike you choose. A single speed bike may be better if you live in a relatively flat area, won't have to worry about adjusting gears if you don't have any. As others have said, lighter bikes should be a priority.

I really do think local bike shops/charities are your best bet, as you can try a few and see if you like them first.

gk6277

Just looking at about 6 mile round trip to work each day, across town. … Just looking at about 6 mile round trip to work each day, across town. Haven't cycled in a couple of years, am in my 50's and a bit unfit. I find sit up and beg style most comfortable, and know zero about bike maintenance. Not sure what I'm looking for spec wise for easiest maintenance. All suggestions welcome. This applies to new or secondhand bikes, I know nothing about them really. Thanks for your input

I'm going to say something to which some of the purists might object. Have you been to your local Halfords? If you like the staff there take a look at the Pendleton range. I picked up a Boardman from my local store for my son. Previously we had an awesome independent bike shop where we used to live. Sadly that's 140 miles away. So went, met them, really knowledgeable helpful team. Got an amazing deal. Plus you can sign up for a bike maintenance programme.
You know the type of riding you want, be clear about your budget and see what the best deals are at the moment. Whilst you are looking, do you have any friends who would lend you their bike to go out on. I found this really helped me eliminate some. I'll have a look for you and be in touch.

Not a fan of Halfords or certainly of gripshift shifters but looks lot better spec for cash altho issue with front mech.
Other thing to consider is building it up, I unboxed my bike a couple of months ago and took roughly 3hours or so to get it sorted, I'm not bad with tools but lot of fettling to get it ready.
Pendleton Briary Hybrid Bike £180
halfords.com/web…001
Edited by: "Cozworth806" 1st Jan

Buy cheap, buy twice.

I would honestly save a little more and buy a well made frame with half decent components.

u probably better of getting a used bike. a similar bike will cost you around 30 40 quid or a half decent one under 100 quid say a claudbutler or something similar. As a kid i have always had used bikes u just need look for one with good tyres brakes and gears. got 1 from go outdoors brand new a viking one after about 3 miles ride the pedal fell off they do a free first service I took the bike in and they put it on after another 10 miles it came off again I lost the nut and it's still sitting in my bedroom about 5 years on so waste of money that shop is.

At £134 no chance, be ok for a month then you will get niggles.

I would go for 2nd hand if you want something better and spend same amount of money. Be aware of eBay and gumtree stolen bikes being sold are rife.

Here's a reasonable s/hand example ebay.co.uk/itm…AIT
Not sure if it will fit you or if it's near you.

Original Poster

marty-401

I would say a bike weighing no more than 14Kg max (probably aluminium … I would say a bike weighing no more than 14Kg max (probably aluminium frame)/double wall aluminium wheels 700c size/shimano altus or better gears (deore would be nice) and no front or rear suspension. How tall are you? (not getting personal but just trying to size an available bike to give you some ideas).

I'm 5' 4" with a 29" inside leg. Thanks

gk6277

I'm 5' 4" with a 29" inside leg. Thanks

Here's a quick guide to bike sizing evanscycles.com/hel…rid . If you would like to give me the first part of your post code I could take a quick look at the options on Gumtree or ebay at the moment for you. You will need to be looking at a womens specific size frame going on your size (a slightly shorter "virtual" top tube), the ebay link I gave would have been a good fit I believe. As for brands look for Trek/marin/Merida/Scott/Specialized/Cannondale/Bianchi/some Carrera ect. If you really want a step through bike (also look for Dutch bike) then they often have low maintenance hub gears....good for the type of riding you speak of (but some of these can be a little more expensive to repair should they go wrong). Also this article will offer some ideas londoncyclist.co.uk/wha…ke/
Don't be affraid to ask for more advice.

Original Poster

I live in Bh8. Thank you for your help, it is really appreciated.

gk6277

Why are the wheels poor? What should I be looking for in wheels and gears … Why are the wheels poor? What should I be looking for in wheels and gears for up to £200 in a sit up and beg type bike ? Thanks for your help.

​i am.cycling 6 miles a day myself for last 5 years. you can buy a halfords care plan for 60£ or so which lasts for 3 years and they will do all maintenance for you. you will only pay the parts price then. however you can do it yourself too its eaay enough to learn from youtube videos.

Original Poster

Thank you for your input. The care plan is new to me, so worth considering

I will take a look tonight and let you know.

Original Poster

Thank you so much

gk6277

Thank you so much

As promised here are a couple of pointers. It looks like this might be a good local bike shop for s/hand and new bikes along with servicing onyerbike.co.uk this is one of their bikes on gumtree gumtree.com/p/b…677 it has some quality parts on it including deore rear gears ( if it suits your needs then check the frame size/weight is good and take it for a test ride and try to get 10% off...they do for students).
Then on ebay there is this ebay.co.uk/itm…590?hash=item465b5a9c26:g:f1gAAOSwn7JYE9ja it looks in very good order but again I would message them and check frame size and weight and try before buying if possible. I would say its worth nearer to £100 though and no more than £130.
No stand out bargains in your area at the moment but it's not the time of year when people are clearing out their sheds.
Edited by: "marty-401" 3rd Jan

Original Poster

Thank you so much, am looking into both of these

gk6277

Thank you so much, am looking into both of these

All the best. The one on ebay looks like it will give you the upright riding position you are looking for but it all comes down to fit and how it rides.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Nintendo Switch Game Cases34
    2. E-liquid55
    3. Mountain bike £200-£30022
    4. Problem with new double glazed installation44

See more discussions