Ladies home gym advice.. Someone please save me!

Found 13th Jul
Ive been exercising at home for the last year, about 3-5 times a week.. Mainly using Dumbbells (only 5kgs each).. Chest presses, chest flys, basic stuff I can do with no other equipment
I've just bought some adjustable dumbells, but I've nothing more.

I not set foot inside a gym in 20 years, I've no intention of doing it anytime soon.. But this means I've no idea re equipment I'd like.

I have a budget of £1000, and a spare room.. My initial thought was a rowing machine or fan bike - to cover the cardio side and give a decent full body workout in the process?

The problem is the weights side.. I'm totally lost!

i started looking at multi gyms but they seem to get a bad rap.. is this just the opinion of the serious heavy lifters?
Is it alright for a woman!?
i do want to build some muscle and tone up (nearly 40, would prefer to keep all my bits where they're supposed to be!).

I decided upon this as Im not big into squats, prefer weighted leg lifts and the like.. Hence thinking the multi gym would offer a bit of variation (I get bored easy)

fitness-superstore.co.uk/wei…tml

until reading ppl thought they're a bit pants..

So I ended up here:
purefitnessandsports.co.uk/mar…ch/

until reading that smith machines were a waste of time too..!

If I do go for the second one there will be virtually no room left for anything else, and I will be limited to that machine only and anything cardio won't fit the room ( or the budget) at that point.

if anyone can offer some help I'd really appreciate it as I'm spending hours online and getting nowhere at all.

thank you
Community Updates
AskFitness
24 Comments
If I were you I’d buy a set of heavier dumbbells and also 2 different kettlebells and would keep the money and space. There is so many exercises you can do with them or even just with your body weight.
deleted396333
Are you strong now or nah?
If nah then a multi gym type thing will probably be fine for you for quite a while
How tall are you, silly question but I bought a rowing machine and was the worst mistake, Im 5ft 6 and it didnt feel like my legs were moving me much along the machine. I bought a cross trainer which I prefer but it is damn boring.
I don't want to sound sexist but

A female doesn't need muscle/weights unless they are going into full on body building stuff.

Repetition and light weights is all you need

Yes maybe a rowing machine or similar for the cardio but that's it... I've seen what a bad trainer at a gym can do with an overzealous over enthused female...... ending up with Mike Tyson neck muscles for no reason.

I'm no expert but if you are just after a toned physique and being fit and active then stay well clear of weights.
I would save the £1000 or most of it and put it towards your diet. It sounds like you are already doing more than enough to lose fat. To lose weight/get toned, 80% is diet and training 20%.

Focus more on doing cardio HIIT (high intensity interval training). You can use smaller hand weights and do shadow boxing or any other intense cardio exercise which you are comfortable with for around 45 minutes to 1 hour per session.
I will be beat your 20 years not going to the gym but it was great when I returned. Was very scary but staff were great
and show you how to use all the equipment. Also, gets you out of the house and you burn calories just getting there.
Ours (thegym) also has a stairs before you enter and I was shattered even before I entered.

Go with a friend. Plenty of ladies only gym around here as well.

I know you said you didn't want to do that but consider it. Better than buying equipment that you might not like
and will soon be used to hang clothes. Good Luck
Hi, I would bin the idea of buying equipment, look at Jillian Michaels online (other trainers are available) her hit workouts are great and do work, if you have to buy anything just look at the kit she is using, hope this helps and good luck
splatsplatsplat21 m ago

How tall are you, silly question but I bought a rowing machine and was the …How tall are you, silly question but I bought a rowing machine and was the worst mistake, Im 5ft 6 and it didnt feel like my legs were moving me much along the machine. I bought a cross trainer which I prefer but it is damn boring.

5ft 4 (and I'm sure, shrinking) I did look at the Reebok Jet 100 cross trainer but then read the rowers and fan bikes are better for full body and building some muscle..
I did did have a bike but found that boring, so swayed towards the rower. Which one did you have? Was it any good, or couldn't you use it well enough to tell?
Thanks btw :
2GOOD4U25 m ago

I would save the £1000 or most of it and put it towards your diet. It …I would save the £1000 or most of it and put it towards your diet. It sounds like you are already doing more than enough to lose fat. To lose weight/get toned, 80% is diet and training 20%. Focus more on doing cardio HIIT (high intensity interval training). You can use smaller hand weights and do shadow boxing or any other intense cardio exercise which you are comfortable with for around 45 minutes to 1 hour per session.

My diet is OK I think. I still eat the odd square of plain chocolate every so often, not really any junk food, cook all my own meals etc, I've been lactose and wheat intolerant for 10 or so years so I don't eat bread, biscuits etc.. Plenty of veg (I'd probably eat more of it it wasn't for the ibs!).
My trouble comes when the ibs flares up, then it's pretty plain and I do lack energy..
Not looking to lose any weight, maybe some fat on my belly and tops of thighs.. but that's all (knowing my luck it would come off in all the wrong places!) :
I got myself a crosstrainer, exercise bike, free weights, exercise ball and a punch bag secured to loft rafters for my spare room.

Cross trainer I use all the time, the key is to get a TV mounted in the room too and just lose yourself in a film or TV series! However my favourite is the punchbag, can get a very good workout and destress a bit in the process
Ask John Isner round for a game of tennis.
philphil611 h, 40 m ago

I don't want to sound sexist butA female doesn't need muscle/weights …I don't want to sound sexist butA female doesn't need muscle/weights unless they are going into full on body building stuff.Repetition and light weights is all you needYes maybe a rowing machine or similar for the cardio but that's it... I've seen what a bad trainer at a gym can do with an overzealous over enthused female...... ending up with Mike Tyson neck muscles for no reason.I'm no expert but if you are just after a toned physique and being fit and active then stay well clear of weights.

load of crap, you wont get a toned physique without some kind of resistance training. Only a small minority of females will get bulky from only lifting, most that have that appearance undergo a lot of supplementation.
I use hasfit all the time they have different programs or you can pick and choose workouts. Im in my late forties and i can honestly say I've never been stronger or fitter than I am just now. Also had lots of comments on how I look im back into a size 10 after years of been 14 to 16
All you need is the dumbbells you can add other equipment as time goes on but you don't need to as i haven't and trust me unlike a early comment someone made you won't look like Mike tyson they either have workouts on the internet hasfit.com/
Or they have an app some programs are free or some are approx £4.99 a month
Go and do some light running a couple of times a week, vary the routes and take a pair of earphones and listen to music or an audio book.
There are good multigyms and there are bad multigyms me personally would use a power cage with the ability to adapt and add on you can get them with cables attached that way you can do the main compound lifts squats deadlift bench row etc, others will have there opinions this is mine I've trained for years at gyms and now I'm doing home training and find you don't need masses of equipments gyms throw at you. I currently rock kettlebells, powerbags and a barbell with weights
Edited by: "DanRussell" 13th Jul
philphil612 h, 12 m ago

I don't want to sound sexist butA female doesn't need muscle/weights …I don't want to sound sexist butA female doesn't need muscle/weights unless they are going into full on body building stuff.Repetition and light weights is all you needYes maybe a rowing machine or similar for the cardio but that's it... I've seen what a bad trainer at a gym can do with an overzealous over enthused female...... ending up with Mike Tyson neck muscles for no reason.I'm no expert but if you are just after a toned physique and being fit and active then stay well clear of weights.

this is the worst advice ever by someone who doesn't have a clue about weightlifting. op get a decent bench, a bar for chest,squats deadlifts rows and presses . get plates you can add to the bar as you progress you can add more. set of dumbbells. cardio whatever you enjoy be it rowing machine treadmill bike etc. you won't end up like Mike Tyson you will end up toned and fit combined with healthy eating. good luck
Whatever gym equipment you want have a look on ebay/gumtree - as this type of stuff is often an impulse/good intention buy and then gets very little use - so often available in excelent condition at a reasonable price.

For cardio I personally would get a stepper - burns the most calories per minute and for weights I'd just get free weights.
FUAARRKK3 h, 24 m ago

load of crap, you wont get a toned physique without some kind of …load of crap, you wont get a toned physique without some kind of resistance training. Only a small minority of females will get bulky from only lifting, most that have that appearance undergo a lot of supplementation.

FUAARRKK3 h, 24 m ago

load of crap, you wont get a toned physique without some kind of …load of crap, you wont get a toned physique without some kind of resistance training. Only a small minority of females will get bulky from only lifting, most that have that appearance undergo a lot of supplementation.

liftingrevolution.com/the…ng/

IS MUSCLE BUILDING THE SAME AS MUSCLE TONING?That’s the real question, right?

No…

Muscle toning is muscle building, but muscle building isn’t necessarily toning. Just like a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn’t a square.

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ses

Toning exercises are physical exercises that are used with the aim of developing a physique with a large emphasis on musculature. In this context, the term toned implies leanness in the body (low levels of body fat), noticeable muscle definition and shape, but not significant muscle size ("bulk").

I'm guessing the OP is looking for a toned body rather than a muscular (body builders) physique

If correct - using ever increasing weights that tear muscle tissue will cause the OP to have a toned body but also increase muscle growth.

But I'm no expert
Edited by: "philphil61" 13th Jul
Thanks everyone for your replies, I do appreciate it

Yes I do want to build muscle mass, not quite going for the body builder look no.. Not that I would mind it, but I highly doubt it's something I could achieve or sustain tbh!

Whilst I think the multi gym is ok, it just doesn't seem worth spending the money on.. I've spent an hour or so watching a few videos of full workouts and not seen all that much Im not already doing, or couldn't do with some decent weights and a bench TBH (although my husband who wasn't interested before, is well into the idea now.. For him ) Like you say, a bench, decent weights etc, build on it over time.. that idea is sitting better with me now, ty

Are there any makes or models you'd recommend, equally, anything worth steering clear of?
Van19738 h, 15 m ago

Whatever gym equipment you want have a look on ebay/gumtree - as this type …Whatever gym equipment you want have a look on ebay/gumtree - as this type of stuff is often an impulse/good intention buy and then gets very little use - so often available in excelent condition at a reasonable price.For cardio I personally would get a stepper - burns the most calories per minute and for weights I'd just get free weights.

+1

Always buy second hand as the equipment can be like new and a fraction of what you will pay new. My £130 exercise bike cost me £10 on ebay
superdrug.com/V-f…EAw
@Nikki999

Have you considered that you don't need any equipment at all?

You could improve your muscle tone just with body-weight exercises, for example...

"BOXING DAY RESHAPE | A HOME HIIT WORKOUT WITH ESMÉE"
(1Rebel UK; Published on 26 December 2017)

...and some background on Ms Gummer, if you are interested...

"Remember, you've got you | Esmee Gummer | TEDxClapham"
(TEDx Talks; Published on 2 August 2016)

---
philphil6113th Jul

discozohan13th Jul

this is the worst advice ever by someone who doesn't have a clue about …this is the worst advice ever by someone who doesn't have a clue about weightlifting. op get a decent bench, a bar for chest,squats deadlifts rows and presses . get plates you can add to the bar as you progress you can add more. set of dumbbells. cardio whatever you enjoy be it rowing machine treadmill bike etc. you won't end up like Mike Tyson you will end up toned and fit combined with healthy eating. good luck

Thanks @discozohan. You summed-up my thoughts well, as I read the comment by @philphil61 yesterday & intended to reply but was sidetracked commenting within the thread below (& the subsequent reply just made me think, 'Why am I bothering?', so left the site for the evening):

[ hotukdeals.com/com…623 ]
---
PS. Some comments about High-Impact Intensity Training, & a very one-sided discussion from a vocal member about everything else...

[ hotukdeals.com/com…057 ]
---

^ The thread where I mentioned High-Impact Intensity Training [HIIT] in relation to heart rate has more comments about the benefits of training with weights.

Oh, sorry... I remembered why I came back...

A voucher code ("Use code WORLDCUP to save 9% on 1000s of products!") exists for Fitness-Superstore.co.uk at the moment...

34351991-p1TPc.jpg
Also, Powerhouse-Fitness.co.uk have applied a similar offer...

34351991-Q69Gt.jpg
Edited by: "fanpages" 14th Jul
Van197323 h, 4 m ago

Whatever gym equipment you want have a look on ebay/gumtree - as this type …Whatever gym equipment you want have a look on ebay/gumtree - as this type of stuff is often an impulse/good intention buy and then gets very little use - so often available in excelent condition at a reasonable price.For cardio I personally would get a stepper - burns the most calories per minute and for weights I'd just get free weights.

chocci14 h, 49 m ago

+1Always buy second hand as the equipment can be like new and a fraction …+1Always buy second hand as the equipment can be like new and a fraction of what you will pay new. My £130 exercise bike cost me £10 on ebayhttps://www.superdrug.com/V-fit/V-fit-G-UC-Upright-Magnetic-Cycle---Grey-&-White/p/665311?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIprGI--Kd3AIV7LDtCh1viwGnEAQYCiABEgJeAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL2Mj4rjndwCFRUx0wodlrYEAw

I got a great bargain with a pair of Bodymax Selectabell Dumbbells from eBay. The seller had used them once & then never touched them again. They even arranged for delivery to me at no extra cost!
Edited by: "fanpages" 14th Jul
chocci14 h, 54 m ago

+1Always buy second hand as the equipment can be like new and a fraction …+1Always buy second hand as the equipment can be like new and a fraction of what you will pay new. My £130 exercise bike cost me £10 on ebayhttps://www.superdrug.com/V-fit/V-fit-G-UC-Upright-Magnetic-Cycle---Grey-&-White/p/665311?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIprGI--Kd3AIV7LDtCh1viwGnEAQYCiABEgJeAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL2Mj4rjndwCFRUx0wodlrYEAw

...and I bought an exercise cycle for one of my kids that has had no use at all!

[ hotukdeals.com/com…878 ]

If/when this ever goes on eBay it will be another bargain for somebody.
My husband joined the gym 6 months ago and he highly rate the body pump classes for building muscle. They run unisex classes at our local gym, so have a look at some videos. Weights are all you need to build muscle. You dont need fancy equipment.

In my experience, if you just want a toned body, and not build muscle, you dont even need weights. You just need to be very slim, then regularly exercise the muscle you want to be toned. If you are slim, the muscle gets toned very quickly and will show through as there is no fat covering them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants