Ladies watch advice and recommendations

Found 16th Sep 2017
I'm planning on buying our lass a decent watch for Christmas. Whilst I have a decent watch myself, it was bought for me by my parents, so I have little experience in this sort of thing. My queries are as such
1. As my budget is around £3k - £4k, this would get me something like a used Rolex datejust, or a new/almost new omega etc. Would a 2nd hand gift be less impressive?
2. There are masses of places to buy from, such as Watchfinder, Chrono24, Swisswatchtrader etc, plus all the jewellers who have websites, can anyone recommend or advise I avoid a particular place, based on experience.
3. If I choose to buy private locally, how do I avoid being ripped off?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I can't help you with 1 or 2 but question 3 is quite simple... Don't buy locally. To easy to be ripped off.

Just asked the wife, she says that a cheaper, new watch would be much more impressive than a second hand one - unless it was a genuine antique. Then it may be different. Whatever, it would need to be elegant. For example (her words, not mine) some Swatch watches, the early rare ones, are worth a small fortune. But she wouldn't want one as it is to specific and would look like a cheap tacky watch to anyone who didn't collect them.
She reckons go for style and not cost. ( That surprised me.... her engagement ring cost me a small fortune).
Second hand doesnt work as gift. If you are buying expensive watch, buy from a reputable jeweller.
For that sort of price (crazy!) a surprise may be a bad idea, and when / where would you want to WEAR a £3k+ watch???
.MUFC.1 h, 23 m ago

Save yourself £2990 and you could treat her to a nice exotic holiday!.

We're off to Cuba in April. She's had plenty of holidays, I want to treat her to a nice watch
RuudBullit4 m ago

We're off to Cuba in April. She's had plenty of holidays, I want to treat …We're off to Cuba in April. She's had plenty of holidays, I want to treat her to a nice watch

Can you dump her and take me instead?. .

Seriously though, If you're going to be spending that sort of money, I would advise to buy it from a reputable jewelers. Imagine spending that much on a fake Rolex for example. Some fakes are very convincing and the seller might genuinely think they're genuine etc..
Edited by: ".MUFC." 17th Sep 2017
.MUFC.5 m ago

Can you dump her and take me instead?. .Seriously though, If you're …Can you dump her and take me instead?. .Seriously though, If you're going to be spending that sort of money, I would advise to buy it from a reputable jewelers. Imagine spending that much on a fake Rolex for example. Some fakes are very convincing and the seller might genuinely think they're genuine etc..

Yeah, the more I look at watches, the more I feel buying from a recognised and reputable dealer or jeweler is worth the extra money it may cost.
I would have it insured incase she gets mugged. Which is a possibility.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants