Laminate floating floor question?

Posted 19th Apr
Hi
I am going to do 3 different types of laminate, one in the bedroom which leads to a small hallway and then to the lounge. I prefer that so that it separates the rooms.

Bedroom at top, then hallway then lounge (see pic below).

3445096-RjdXC.jpg

I do not like the look of threshold bars.

I would like to put a glass mosaic tile, like in the pic below (but maybe one or two tiles wide), instead of the threshold bar. Can I do it withould creating a pinch point, I suppose I would have to make the tile floating?

It's 8mm laminate.

3445096-aGqSF.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
The pic with the border mosaic looks great , but looks like its high end materials not laminate?
yozzman123419/04/2020 11:55

The pic with the border mosaic looks great , but looks like its high end …The pic with the border mosaic looks great , but looks like its high end materials not laminate?

And it still has threshold bar on the wood side. To be honest, it needs it. I think mosaic tiles up to laminate would look scruffy.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 19th Apr
Do you understand why laminate floors need a 5mm gap all around and then have beading.
I don't see much beading in the top picture and no bar to the tiles in the right of the picture
As Esar says you need an expansion gap. You do not need to use metal threshold bars - you can get wooden ones in various finishes which might blend in more. If your first pic is your existing laminate hallway - if it were me use a longer offset/overlap when the new lot is laid...
Edited by: "gari189" 19th Apr
esar19/04/2020 15:06

Do you understand why laminate floors need a 5mm gap all around and then …Do you understand why laminate floors need a 5mm gap all around and then have beading.I don't see much beading in the top picture and no bar to the tiles in the right of the picture

The skirting could have been installed after the flooring was done thus covering the expansion gap.
HappyShopper19/04/2020 17:27

The skirting could have been installed after the flooring was done thus …The skirting could have been installed after the flooring was done thus covering the expansion gap.

Are you his mum, I'm just trying to get a level of his knowledge, for Pete's sake
Edited by: "esar" 19th Apr
esar19/04/2020 15:25

Take a look at these threshold bars https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222618870904

This looks good but why does the pictire show that you glue both sides, where's the expansion gap if it is glued and fixed?
esar19/04/2020 17:31

Are you his mum, I'm just trying to get a level of his knowledge, for …Are you his mum, I'm just trying to get a level of his knowledge, for Pete's sake

Sorry, first pic is the original floor and yes the skirting is on top of the expansion gap.
OK I think the tile idea is too risky for me, gonna leave it and go with the threshold bar, thanks for the help folks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions