Laminate Flooring Choice

Posted 9th Aug
I'm about to choose the flooring for an off-plan flat and I was wondering if it would be weird if I had a light coloured floor in the hallway (no windows) and dark coloured laminate in the kitchen/lounge (kitchen units are white).

Are you supposed to have the same flooring throughout (outside of bedrooms/bathrooms)?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Do what u want it’s your flat
if its all on one level then the same colour throughout would be my choice.
My choice would be guided by something that won't show up scratches/marks/scuffs easily...and not show dust too easily.

We inherited black tile effect laminate in kitchen/utility/hallway and it would show tiniest spec of dust....used to drive me mad as had to hoover twice a day......got wood effect tile flooring now and its much more forgiving.
You're supposed to do whatever you prefer.
If you're going to be living in it, do what makes you happy.
you can have different colours but people prefer one colour to make it look even throughout. a bit like carpet i guess.

i was wondering about tiling one bathroom wall in a different colour to the other 3 walls as this is not usual, but i wonder if it would work
Edited by: "mutley1" 9th Aug
mutley109/08/2020 23:58

you can have different colours but people prefer one colour to make it …you can have different colours but people prefer one colour to make it look even throughout. a bit like carpet i guess.i was wondering about tiling one bathroom wall in a different colour to the other 3 walls as this is not usual, but i wonder if it would work

It will work I did it to my old bathroom
Scotland131410/08/2020 06:40

It will work I did it to my old bathroom

thanks. i have to get a bathroom re-tiled. however on one wall is the radiator, so I am thinking I don't want that taken out for the tiling as it may leak when it is put back. so to avoid this potential issue, I could just tile the other 3 walls in a beige colour (the radiator wall tile is white) and it would still be fine.

but then i am thinking, am i getting overly worried about the radiator leaking after it is put back! but from my experience of dodgy plumbers, there is a high probability that will happen!
I just tiled round my radiator and you couldn’t tell I hadn’t taken it off. They were big tiles tho
Do make sure that laminate flooring is permitted in the flat - presumably it is and you are choosing the flooring with the building contractors.
Scotland131410/08/2020 16:44

I just tiled round my radiator and you couldn’t tell I hadn’t taken it off …I just tiled round my radiator and you couldn’t tell I hadn’t taken it off. They were big tiles tho

that is good to hear. i wasn't sure you could do this and when i googled, it all seems to say you should take the radiator off to tile, so i thought it wasn't possible to do this.
JimboParrot10/08/2020 16:49

Do make sure that laminate flooring is permitted in the flat - presumably …Do make sure that laminate flooring is permitted in the flat - presumably it is and you are choosing the flooring with the building contractors.

good point. we had a flat where my husband got rid of the carpet when he bought it and put in wood laminate flooring throughout. the neighbour downstairs complained that this meant you could hear noise from our flat and demanded we put the carpet back, or put in a thicker underlay to stop the noise transmission.

when we looked at the lease, it did say that something along the line of "appropriate floor covering" that would minimise the transmission of sound. so yes, OP, best check your lease to make sure there is no clause to state you can not put in laminate flooring, or that you may need special underlay.
mutley110/08/2020 18:06

that is good to hear. i wasn't sure you could do this and when i googled, …that is good to hear. i wasn't sure you could do this and when i googled, it all seems to say you should take the radiator off to tile, so i thought it wasn't possible to do this.

It is possible if you r good at tiling just take your time and get a good none slip adhesive
Scotland131410/08/2020 18:48

It is possible if you r good at tiling just take your time and get a good …It is possible if you r good at tiling just take your time and get a good none slip adhesive

lol, i am going to attempt to do it. i am going to get a tiler to do it, but i didn't know this was possible.
mutley110/08/2020 18:49

lol, i am going to attempt to do it. i am going to get a tiler to do it, …lol, i am going to attempt to do it. i am going to get a tiler to do it, but i didn't know this was possible.

Good luck hope it goes well
Post a comment
@
    Text