Groups
    EXPIRED

laminate flooring direction

hello hukd

i'm currently in the process of planning the installation of laminate flooring in my living room

however i'm in two minds as to which direction the material should face

please see picture below

I am aware that ideally the flooring should run parallel with the longest wall of the room.
    The longest side is 5m and the other is 4m, so I don't think that should be the deciding factor.

I also read that the flooring should face the light source i.e window

i also have two doors in the room

highlighted in the picture is the black horizontal orientation and the blue lines indicating vertical.

couch and tv have been marked also to give the living perspective

any input is much appreciated

Black or Blue!?

peanuted

15 Comments

Original Poster

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/peanuted1/media/laminate_zps4883079f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b487/peanuted1/laminate_zps4883079f.jpg[/URL][/img]

For me it would be longest wall (parallel with windows/doors) - basically to fit around the doors - it's easier having one straight edge than cutting the amount of strips necessary to fit the doorways

The colour doesn't show up so clear but the lighter lines north/south on picture
    Edited by: "philphil61" 11th Jul 2014

Original Poster

sorry colour hasn't shown up too well.

for avoidance of doubt,

black is at the top of the picture running horizontally

blue is at bottom running vertically

Original Poster

philphil61

For me it would be longest wall (parallel with windows/doors) - … For me it would be longest wall (parallel with windows/doors) - basically to fit around the doors - it's easier having one straight edge than cutting the amount of strips necessary to fit the doorwaysThe colour doesn't show up so clear but the lighter lines north/south on picture

yes this was my gut instinct too . with two doors in the room, running vertically would make life easier

however i'm still open to the idea of running horizontally as this would suit the window better . joints "blend" in with the light better.
    also would make the room look wider
    Edited by: "peanuted" 11th Jul 2014

Original Poster

actually

consider this now

at the top left of the room, the door leads into the kitchen. i might use the same laminate flooring in this room too. would it be best to run everything horizontally now?

all 1 colour horizontaly

peanuted

actually consider this nowat the top left of the room, the door leads … actually consider this nowat the top left of the room, the door leads into the kitchen. i might use the same laminate flooring in this room too. would it be best to run everything horizontally now?

Yes but I also extended into the hallway (bottom left door on your sketch) because my wife was a wheelchair user and less joints (no door strips required - just extra artistic cutting to fit door frames)

If you're extending into another room it's your choice - if just the one room then my first comment is better option

Not sure if you've layed laminate before but bit of advice

Possibly you're laying it in summer (laminate expands slightly) normally you would leave 10mm to 12mm gap I would make this smaller (tighter fit) as in winter the flooring will shrink more

Remove skirting boards (and refit after) or use beading but not both

Use the correct tools and good thick underlay

Also in an ideal world if you have floorboards then you should lay the flooring at 90 degrees.

I'd go with Blue, but in reality it doesn't matter - you could justify either.

The things to normally consider are:

Natural light source should shine along the length (so black - but your window looks small so a minor consideration)
    Direction of travel to pass through the room (difficult one to tell as you probably walk diagonally across)
    Normal perspective when you relax in the room (couch to TV - so Blue)
    As poster above says - you should run at right angles to floor boards (this can be negated by using the thick green underlay boards which go down first)

Running into the kitchen can be done with the boards in either orientation but you would want to keep the boards the same way in both rooms. What is the layout of the kitchen? If it is a narrow galley kitchen then you would want to follow the length of that room.

Original Poster

philphil61

Not sure if you've layed laminate before but bit of advicePossibly you're … Not sure if you've layed laminate before but bit of advicePossibly you're laying it in summer (laminate expands slightly) normally you would leave 10mm to 12mm gap I would make this smaller (tighter fit) as in winter the flooring will shrink moreRemove skirting boards (and refit after) or use beading but not bothUse the correct tools and good thick underlay

thanks your tips

yes first time installer here ...

so many videos on how to do it on youtube.... just can't justify paying someone £300 when it looks relatively simple. just need a guillotine and should be good to go

Original Poster

just a thought? is the opposite not true? with the heating on in winter would that not make it tighter fit than summer?

Original Poster

nbuuifx

I'd go with Blue, but in reality it doesn't matter - you could justify … I'd go with Blue, but in reality it doesn't matter - you could justify either.The things to normally consider are:Natural light source should shine along the length (so black - but your window looks small so a minor consideration)Direction of travel to pass through the room (difficult one to tell as you probably walk diagonally across)Normal perspective when you relax in the room (couch to TV - so Blue)As poster above says - you should run at right angles to floor boards (this can be negated by using the thick green underlay boards which go down first)Running into the kitchen can be done with the boards in either orientation but you would want to keep the boards the same way in both rooms. What is the layout of the kitchen? If it is a narrow galley kitchen then you would want to follow the length of that room.

thanks, great answer.

actually the adjacent kitchen is a squarish room, so think i'll go ahead and run blue throughout

peanuted

just a thought? is the opposite not true? with the heating on in winter … just a thought? is the opposite not true? with the heating on in winter would that not make it tighter fit than summer?

You'll have heating on but heat rises and unless it's underfloor heating then the floor will stay cool unlike now when you have sunlight beaming through the windows etc

Original Poster

makes sense... although up here in Scotland that could be debatable
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553808
      2. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....68
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1901355
      4. Feels weird!511

See more discussions