Laminate Question

Posted 16th Aug
Hello there,

I am in the process of buying my first home. I want to replace the laminate flooring that’s in the living room area quite soon after getting the keys.

The laminate I like comes in 8mm and 12mm thicknesses. I want to go for the 12mm thickness, but was wondering if it is likely to fit under the skirting boards?

It’s a relatively new home - 6 years old - and the current laminate flooring was installed by Taylor Wimpey. I’d imagine it’s standard 8mm and it goes under the skirting to give a nice look.

If the new laminate won’t fit under, can the skirting boards be taken off repositioned to give higher clearance? I would like to avoid having that beading you see to bridge the gap between the laminate and the skirting if possible.

Many thanks for any advice!!!
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Usually you will need to remove the skirting as it will be click fit probably.
mds125616/08/2020 15:27

Usually you will need to remove the skirting as it will be click fit …Usually you will need to remove the skirting as it will be click fit probably.

Yeah it is!
to get a better finish you are better off removing the skirting, its easy to remove and put back. any damaged pieces you can replace quite easily.
Also it depends on the type of underlay you have or intend on changing to.
How much work you’re left with will entirely depend on how the skirting was attached to the walls. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen Gripfill used along with the nails. If that’s the case, be prepared for quite a lot of plaster to come off along with the skirting. Hopefully that’s not the case for you, but just be aware that it could be
They won't fit it under skirting if it doesn't fit. They would fit it outside it and beading. Btw don't use reflective under layer, it will affect your WiFi signal and if you currently have rubbish WiFi, it's best time to use flat ethernet cable and slip it under the laminate so you can avoid wires or trunking around the house.
Jay9116/08/2020 15:31

to get a better finish you are better off removing the skirting, its easy …to get a better finish you are better off removing the skirting, its easy to remove and put back. any damaged pieces you can replace quite easily.Also it depends on the type of underlay you have or intend on changing to.

What about the vertical bits of skirting? Can they be trimmed easily enough? What about the living room door itself?

I didn’t know underlay would be important with laminate. The current one has been down six years so whilst it probably isn’t near the end of its life, it’s probably prudent to replace.
MR112316/08/2020 15:35

They won't fit it under skirting if it doesn't fit. They would fit it …They won't fit it under skirting if it doesn't fit. They would fit it outside it and beading. Btw don't use reflective under layer, it will affect your WiFi signal and if you currently have rubbish WiFi, it's best time to use flat ethernet cable and slip it under the laminate so you can avoid wires or trunking around the house.

Thank you for the advice regarding the underlay. The router will be in the hall and the hall is tiled so probably won’t be doing this.
Diggsy16/08/2020 15:35

How much work you’re left with will entirely depend on how the skirting w …How much work you’re left with will entirely depend on how the skirting was attached to the walls. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen Gripfill used along with the nails. If that’s the case, be prepared for quite a lot of plaster to come off along with the skirting. Hopefully that’s not the case for you, but just be aware that it could be

Thanks for the advice. Would you expect that on a newish house?

Would it just be the affected areas that need replastered? A touch up job? I wouldn’t need to plaster the whole room again if this was the case, would I?
shnp16/08/2020 15:45

Thanks for the advice. Would you expect that on a newish house?Would it …Thanks for the advice. Would you expect that on a newish house?Would it just be the affected areas that need replastered? A touch up job? I wouldn’t need to plaster the whole room again if this was the case, would I?

My house is 5.5 years old now, I took all the skirting off to put laminate down in my hall way. That has pin nails and grip fill.... to be fair I took them off the day I moved in so they hadn’t been on long and they came straight off.

some tips though, get a Stanley knife and lightly score along the top of the skirting (horizontal along to top of the skirting) in order to break the seal between the wall and the skirting. Then put a fairly wide but thin boulster down between the wall and skirting and lightly pry and it should move.
A decent fitter can undercut most of the skirting, you just need to remove one or two pieces to fit the final boards.
Diggsy16/08/2020 15:35

How much work you’re left with will entirely depend on how the skirting w …How much work you’re left with will entirely depend on how the skirting was attached to the walls. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen Gripfill used along with the nails. If that’s the case, be prepared for quite a lot of plaster to come off along with the skirting. Hopefully that’s not the case for you, but just be aware that it could be

+ 1

If you are taking the skirting off plan to repaint the walls and possibly replace the skirting. Modern Mchouses are are made cheap and fast.
shnp16/08/2020 15:45

Thanks for the advice. Would you expect that on a newish house?Would it …Thanks for the advice. Would you expect that on a newish house?Would it just be the affected areas that need replastered? A touch up job? I wouldn’t need to plaster the whole room again if this was the case, would I?

Not likely to need to re plaster, but do be prepared to tidy up some areas if you remove the old skirting. As someone has already said, a lot of new houses are thrown together as quickly as possible, so Gripfill used on skirtings is all too common. If you have a small section of skirting, might be prudent to try to remove it first, just to see what you’re up against.
themorgatron16/08/2020 16:26

A decent fitter can undercut most of the skirting, you just need to remove …A decent fitter can undercut most of the skirting, you just need to remove one or two pieces to fit the final boards.

This^ they can cut your skirting without taking it off at a cost. They cut my doors. But if your skirting is tiny, I wouldn't advise it. Plus not sure of it would be a clean cut maybe ask first.
Edited by: "MR1123" 16th Aug
I had laminate fitted at the same time as new skirting board. Now the laminate needs changing but the skirting is in pristine, immaculate condition.

I am loathe to removing it to fit new skirting and I don't like beading around the skirting.

Would love to know if I could keep skirting in place, remove and replace laminate and not use beading! Cheers
Edited by: "Gollywood" 16th Aug
Gollywood16/08/2020 17:23

I had laminate fitted at the same time as new skirting board. Now the …I had laminate fitted at the same time as new skirting board. Now the laminate needs changing but the skirting is in pristine, immaculate condition.I am loathe to removing it to fit new skirting and I don't like beading around the skirting.Would love to know if I could keep skirting in place, remove and replace laminate and not use beading! Cheers

You’ll likely have to remove 1 wall of skirting at a minimum, otherwise it will be nigh on impossible to fit the last laminate board.
Diggsy16/08/2020 21:02

You’ll likely have to remove 1 wall of skirting at a minimum, otherwise it …You’ll likely have to remove 1 wall of skirting at a minimum, otherwise it will be nigh on impossible to fit the last laminate board.

Cheers. That I can manage - the wall that will be hidden by settee Never though of that
Gollywood16/08/2020 21:04

Cheers. That I can manage - the wall that will be hidden by settee Cheers. That I can manage - the wall that will be hidden by settee Never though of that

No worries. It’s definitely the neatest way to do it, assuming you have enough room beneath the existing skirting for the new laminate.
Post a comment
@
    Text