Posted 15 January 2018

Landline Call Timer - Set up auto hang up at 60 minutes? Is there a way?

As title, pay for the parents landline but mums too old to remember to hang up at 60 minutes which results in additional call charges.

my search results haven't been useful - has anyone come across any handsets that have a feature like this?

Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Boom1234 h, 44 m ago

tried but it always manages to go over by a few seconds which all add up!I …tried but it always manages to go over by a few seconds which all add up!I found something called a call duration warning but it's only available to people with Truecall whatever that is?

Instead of trying to time it at 59minutes, why not hang up at 30 minutes then make a new call.....
    stop watch in front of a phone?
    or tell your mum to stop gossip so much
    do people seriously talk for over 60 minutes on the phone?

what do you talk about...
    deleted116305615/01/2018 16:54

do people seriously talk for over 60 minutes on the phone?what do you talk …do people seriously talk for over 60 minutes on the phone?what do you talk about...

Women can talk for hours. Two minutes into a **** *** though and suddenly their jaw hurts too much to continue.
    Author
    mtsk15/01/2018 14:41

stop watch in front of a phone?or tell your mum to stop gossip so much

tried but it always manages to go over by a few seconds which all add up!

I found something called a call duration warning but it's only available to people with Truecall whatever that is?
    Author
    webtrawler17 m ago

Something like this …Something like this https://www.future-call.com/autohangupboxwithtimer.aspx but check if it works on uk landlines.

interesting! thanks might be worth a punt
    I thought of this idea years ago, and even went as far to check out patent that does exist. Why can't Panasonic etc just make a handset that has a timer function on it that kicks in when the call is initiated from it. It could be easily implemented for pennies. The timer function could be set to whatever minutes required and it would just make a sound @ 59 mins or whatever. (edited)
    It sounds like you're on one of the package deals that give you so much for free but then charge large amounts outside that.

Have you actually done the numbers and seen whether that's the best approach? It may work out cheaper to go for a provider with nothing inclusive but low phone call costs (1p a minute landlines, 5p per minute mobiles would be typical).
    deleted116305615/01/2018 16:54

do people seriously talk for over 60 minutes on the phone?what do you talk …do people seriously talk for over 60 minutes on the phone?what do you talk about...

Before mobiles, people used to have conversations
    EndlessWaves15/01/2018 18:44

It sounds like you're on one of the package deals that give you so much …It sounds like you're on one of the package deals that give you so much for free but then charge large amounts outside that.Have you actually done the numbers and seen whether that's the best approach? It may work out cheaper to go for a provider with nothing inclusive but low phone call costs (1p a minute landlines, 5p per minute mobiles would be typical).

Any such savings are typically offset by the riduculous call connection / set-up fees. Yup: pay a fee whether the other party picksup or not.
    AndyRoyd12 h, 26 m ago

Any such savings are typically offset by the riduculous call connection / …Any such savings are typically offset by the riduculous call connection / set-up fees. Yup: pay a fee whether the other party picksup or not.

There might be some that do that but I wouldn't call it typical. Many phone provides that don't pad the rates also have low or no connection fee. They're only high from the big home telecoms providers in the first place as an attempt to claw back some profit from their aggressive broadband prices.
    Author
    Looks like truecall blocker has a feature where it warns when you but it costs £100. The BT inbuilt ones are for nuisance calls only.

Good to know though, if my charges justify £100 then will look into it. Thanks for the replies folks
    Boom1237 h, 3 m ago

Looks like truecall blocker has a feature where it warns when you but it …Looks like truecall blocker has a feature where it warns when you but it costs £100. The BT inbuilt ones are for nuisance calls only. Good to know though, if my charges justify £100 then will look into it. Thanks for the replies folks

cant they just set an egg timer whenever they make a call?
's avatar