Expired

Landline number of 25 years lost by Sky

Found 26th Feb 2014
Hi,

I cancelled my old sky rolling contract subscription with sky to benefit for a better deal as a 'new customer' recently. I asked to keep my landline number of 25 odd years but last night my number has been replaced with a new one which Sky have allocated!!!

Is there anyway I (or sky) can retreive the original number? They have let me down after many promises that I wouldn't lose this number and now caused a huge inconvenience.

Can Sky (as a matter of courtesy) forward or divert calls to the old number to new one?
Thanks
Community Updates
AskSky
21 Comments
Maybe they are porting the old number to the new one or something, ring them.
Nothing you can do now. I used to work for BT. The number is lost. If you told them you was a new customer then all they have done is to allocate you a new number. You should have asked them to port your number as a working line takeover. That way you would have your number.

Harsh lesson to learn but never lie:)
dcx_badass

You weren't a new customer, you tried to play the system and lost, get … You weren't a new customer, you tried to play the system and lost, get over it.

How has he played it and lost?
I had the same kind of thing with talk talk though I didnt get any of the op's hassle.

There are now 2 talk talk essentials packages. One with tv and one without. Both at exactly the same price.

I was out of contract so told them to put me on the package which included tv.
They did. But I havent lost anything and am paying the same. Just gained tv thats all.

My number has stayed the same.
I feel I must be missing something here because you are usually one of the first posters to help someone

Original Poster
AndrewRoss

Maybe they are porting the old number to the new one or something, ring … Maybe they are porting the old number to the new one or something, ring them.

Rang them and head office, no record of them porting the number. They are absolutely clueless.....
Original Poster
krazyasif786

Nothing you can do now. I used to work for BT. The number is lost. If you … Nothing you can do now. I used to work for BT. The number is lost. If you told them you was a new customer then all they have done is to allocate you a new number. You should have asked them to port your number as a working line takeover. That way you would have your number.Harsh lesson to learn but never lie:)

Could I not call BT as I suspect it will be in their 'virtual pool'?
El Franko

Could I not call BT as I suspect it will be in their 'virtual pool'?

Unfortunatley not. They don't have a system of allocating the number back.

The best thing you can do is to escalate and complain to sky. Did you tell them you wanted to port your number? If so, then tell them this and it's their fault. Tell them to listen to the call. Then escalate escalate. Don't take no for an answer. I know in very extreme circumstances BT has a team that could 'try' to re-allocate the number. But this is not guaranteed as the number just goes back into the pool after a certain time period.

If you didn't ask them to allocate your number then I don't think you have much of a comeback. Especially if they listen to the call and you tell them you are a new customer etc. As they followed the instructions you provided them.

If you ring BT all they will say is you're not their customer (which is true) and ask you to call Sky. Sky needs to get in touch with BT Wholesale and see if they can resolve the issue. BT Wholesale is the company that rents the lines to other companies, and this includes BT Retail (the retail side of BT). Everyone is in the same level playing field. BT Wholesale will not provide better service to BT Retail, as they are not allowed to.

Sky will most likely tell you to call BT which is wrong. They are renting the line from BT Wholesale and they need to get in contact with them. We used to get calls like this a lot in BT and I don't think Sky did much. They just fob the customer off.

Sorry, looks like you may have lost out.
Original Poster
krazyasif786

Unfortunatley not. They don't have a system of allocating the number … Unfortunatley not. They don't have a system of allocating the number back.The best thing you can do is to escalate and complain to sky. Did you tell them you wanted to port your number? If so, then tell them this and it's their fault. Tell them to listen to the call. Then escalate escalate. Don't take no for an answer. I know in very extreme circumstances BT has a team that could 'try' to re-allocate the number. But this is not guaranteed as the number just goes back into the pool after a certain time period.If you didn't ask them to allocate your number then I don't think you have much of a comeback. Especially if they listen to the call and you tell them you are a new customer etc. As they followed the instructions you provided them.If you ring BT all they will say is you're not their customer (which is true) and ask you to call Sky. Sky needs to get in touch with BT Wholesale and see if they can resolve the issue. BT Wholesale is the company that rents the lines to other companies, and this includes BT Retail (the retail side of BT). Everyone is in the same level playing field. BT Wholesale will not provide better service to BT Retail, as they are not allowed to.Sky will most likely tell you to call BT which is wrong. They are renting the line from BT Wholesale and they need to get in contact with them. We used to get calls like this a lot in BT and I don't think Sky did much. They just fob the customer off.Sorry, looks like you may have lost out.

Thanks mate - appreciate your help :-)
Oh, just re-read your post. IF you had a landline with sky and then cancelled (and they actually turned you off) then you don't have a chance of getting your old number back.

What you should have done is to transfer your number to another company (you'd be stuck for one year) and then transfer back to sky. That's the only way of possibly getting a new sky deal and keeping your number.
Original Poster
krazyasif786

Oh, just re-read your post. IF you had a landline with sky and then … Oh, just re-read your post. IF you had a landline with sky and then cancelled (and they actually turned you off) then you don't have a chance of getting your old number back.What you should have done is to transfer your number to another company (you'd be stuck for one year) and then transfer back to sky. That's the only way of possibly getting a new sky deal and keeping your number.

I did on many occasions, tell them under no circumstances must I lose my number - looks like they totally ignored that request!
El Franko

I did on many occasions, tell them under no circumstances must I lose my … I did on many occasions, tell them under no circumstances must I lose my number - looks like they totally ignored that request!

Were you coming back from a company? EG: you moved from sky to BT and was wanting to move back to sky? In this scenario Sky should have ported your number back as a working line takeover, which in effect keeps your number and your line working during the transition.

IF on the other hand you cancelled sky and was without a line, eg for a year or how ever many months. Then you have lost your number. As the number is not allocated to your property anymore. It's back in the pool and may even be deactivated. In this situation you have no hope. No way of getting your number back. Painful I know but it's true. Even if you asked them you wanted to keep your old number you won't get it as the line was dead and the number lost.
Edited by: "krazyasif786" 26th Feb 2014
Original Poster
krazyasif786

Were you coming back from a company? EG: you moved from sky to BT and was … Were you coming back from a company? EG: you moved from sky to BT and was wanting to move back to sky? In this scenario Sky should have ported your number back as a working line takeover, which in effect keeps your number and your line working during the transition. IF on the other hand you cancelled sky and was without a line, eg for a year or how ever many months. Then you have lost your number. As the number is not allocated to your property anymore. It's back in the pool and may even be deactivated. In this situation you have no hope. No way of getting your number back. Painful I know but it's true. Even if you asked them you wanted to keep your old number you won't get it as the line was dead and the number lost.

No I was an exisiting SKY customer, cancelled the subsription as I was on a rolling contract, then signed up as a new customer under a different name within the same household.
Sky knew what we were doing and we made absolutely sure the number would not be affected - the number was still active until later yesterday evening...
As krazyasif786 asked, did you cancel Sky and move the number back to say BT? That's what it all hangs on unfortunately. Same as mobile numbers.
Edit: Just saw you replied. Sadly it sounds like the number was cancelled then
El Franko

No I was an exisiting SKY customer, cancelled the subsription as I was on … No I was an exisiting SKY customer, cancelled the subsription as I was on a rolling contract, then signed up as a new customer under a different name within the same household.Sky knew what we were doing and we made absolutely sure the number would not be affected - the number was still active until later yesterday evening...

I'm not sure but I believe in this case they mis informed you. I believe they have done a working line takeover but as a new customer and not as a number port.

Porting a number on the same property is always a risky business. The fact that the number is on a different name I don't really know if that makes a difference as to whether the number can be still saved.

Best just ringing Sky and enquiring if this is possible without giving them any information. And then call back and complain if they said it was possible.

I think there is a very slight chance you may get your number back. If it was BT they would do a lot more but Sky, Talk Talk etc don't seem to understand the basics and just blame BT when they should speak to BT Wholesale.
Original Poster
@ Donna80 & krazyasif786 - Thanks for your replies. I'll speak with Sky again and see what else they can do in terms of diverting calls etc.

Thanks again :-)
As other people have said if line was cancelled your number will be back in BT system 90% chance has already been reallocated to another customer so your number will already be a E side ready to be connected to another person,
Original Poster
fisco2001

As other people have said if line was cancelled your number will be back … As other people have said if line was cancelled your number will be back in BT system 90% chance has already been reallocated to another customer so your number will already be a E side ready to be connected to another person,

In that case - whoever gets that number are gonna get alot of 'wrong number' calls :-)
I feel this video sums things up for you...

youtube.com/wat…-aY
If you are now a NEW CUSTOMER, are you within your cancellation period? if so could you not ring sky and tell them you wished to keep your number... if you say your going to cancel maybe they will try harder to get your number back...

I dont no just a idea m8:)
Edited by: "MWC2012" 26th Feb 2014
Number won't be assigned to another customer for 12 months. But as you've been told by loads of people already that number has now gone and there is no way of retrieving it
I have same issue, I am so angry. I only asked them to do one thing, just one thing and that was to cancel my Sky TV. Instead they cancelled the My broadband, Landline. I am going to sue for steeling my number. i have had that same number for 14 years and so may family members use that number as they don't like calling on mobiles.

As they are saying that they have sold my number to someone else, then that is theft and must be wrong. I am going to sue sky for every hour they have wasted of my time trying to get reconnected and for steeling my number.

I don't hate sky, in fact i like the phoneline and Broadband and the Sky Q. I just don't like people steeling from me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants