Landlord red flags... well done Sadiq Khan

Found 20th Dec 2017Edited by:"davewave"
google.co.uk/amp…amp

A new online database has been launched to help renters in 10 London boroughs check up on potentially rogue landlords.

Sadiq Khan said the new system "will leave rogue landlords with nowhere to hide" as the scheme launched on Tuesday.

Data for landlords operating in Brent, Camden, Greenwich, Islington, Kingston, Newham, Southwark, Sutton, Waltham Forest, and Westminster have already been published on the website.

More than 600,000 renters living in the boroughs can now run background checks on landlords and letting agents.

Barking and Dagenham, Croydon, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey, Lewisham, Redbridge, and Tower Hamlets councils have agreed to submit records soon.

The mayor hit out at the current Conservative government, saying Theresa May's Cabinet should do more to protect renters across the country.

Mr Khan said: “The housing market in London is difficult enough for Londoners to navigate, without those landlords and letting agents who behave unscrupulously leaving tenants living in appalling conditions, despite often paying sky-high rents.

"I promised to do everything within my powers to help Londoners facing this problem – I will not stand by while they are exploited.

London rents rocket as number of rental homes drops by 17% in a year
“Many landlords and agents across London offer a great service – but sadly some don’t.

"My new database is about empowering Londoners to make informed choices about where they rent, and sending rogue operators a clear message: you have nowhere to hide.

“Boroughs on the database and I are using our existing powers to help London’s renters – but to go much further we need investment and resources from central government.

"For a start they should stop dragging their feet on the creation of the compulsory national database they promised to set-up.

"Before Ministers have even laid the regulations for their database, we’ve planned, built and launched ours – and unlike the Government’s plans, we have made our database accessible to the public.”
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
What about rogue tenants?
31 Comments
choc196918 m ago

you'd need a Conservative mayor for that.
Should bring back fair rent officers
It's all well and good going on about private landlords, but what about the councils that are selling off their stock to private landlords and doing all kinds of things to move their tenants out?

dispossessionfilm.com/
anthea10 m ago

Should bring back fair rent officers

It's not just price...its safety and responsibility, some landlords need to have their properties taken away from them.

Perhaps license landlords.
when I was renting in the 1970s fair rent officer used to check that everything was safe and rent was fair and if anything needed sorting they would contact the private landlord
Edited by: "anthea" 20th Dec 2017
anthea19 m ago

when I was renting in the 1970s fair rent officer used to check that …when I was renting in the 1970s fair rent officer used to check that everything was fast and rent was fair and if anything needed sorting they would contact the private landlord

Think you mean 'everything was fair' not fast...that sounds like a perfect solution.
Edited by: "davewave" 20th Dec 2017
Who is going to monitor this to stop dodgy tenants giving decent landlords a bad name ? And much as I hate to keep on about the same subject, but why is he spending money on a database while closing down police stations ?
Alfsmum4 m ago

Who is going to monitor this to stop dodgy tenants giving decent landlords …Who is going to monitor this to stop dodgy tenants giving decent landlords a bad name ? And much as I hate to keep on about the same subject, but why is he spending money on a database while closing down police stations ?

I hear from lots of people about the practice of other landlords, they need regulation because some landlords are no better than the dirt on my shoe.
No I totally agree, but putting comments on a database for people to leave comments is a waste of time - it's like Trip advisor , where people can talk up a friend or talk down someone they dislike. Maybe the answer is to licence landlords.
Unfortunately I am not totally unbiased on anything Khan does, as I think the man is a spineless wimp, but in this case I honestly think a database is a waste of time and money as it is too open to abuse and manipulation.
As far as am aware Newham council require all private landlords to be registered with the council.

I've found my private landlord great had major issues with east homes though who Wouldn't do anything about major mould problems, problematic tenant below who would turn the water stopcock off leaving us without water for hours as it was in the cellar which I had no access to. They need to hold the housing associations to account too not just private landlords
Alfsmum23 m ago

No I totally agree, but putting comments on a database for people to leave …No I totally agree, but putting comments on a database for people to leave comments is a waste of time - it's like Trip advisor , where people can talk up a friend or talk down someone they dislike. Maybe the answer is to licence landlords.Unfortunately I am not totally unbiased on anything Khan does, as I think the man is a spineless wimp, but in this case I honestly think a database is a waste of time and money as it is too open to abuse and manipulation.

I agree with you about Khan. He talks the talk, clean air etc, but refused to block the new monster incinerator being built in Sutton, right beside a lake with nesting birds, on land that used to be protected.
He stopped buying any more new buses, he stopped the new bridge but he increased the building of more cycle lanes, basically bringing the roads to a standstill. He has an agenda but so far he is keeping it a secret.
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload13 h, 53 m ago

I agree with you about Khan. He talks the talk, clean air etc, but …I agree with you about Khan. He talks the talk, clean air etc, but refused to block the new monster incinerator being built in Sutton, right beside a lake with nesting birds, on land that used to be protected.

This sounds bad, where should this monster be put instead? Do you know if this other site has the blessing from all the residents? I am sure Khan would jump on your other site like a flea to your hair.
splender15 m ago

This sounds bad, where should this monster be put instead? Do you know if …This sounds bad, where should this monster be put instead? Do you know if this other site has the blessing from all the residents? I am sure Khan would jump on your other site like a flea to your hair.

Wrong question. The monster doesn't need to happen.
london.greenparty.org.uk/new…tml

How do you know Khan so well that you can confidently predict his responses?

It can get confusing referring to the participants by their last name as the incinerator that Sadiq Khan is refusing to stop is being opposed by Shasha Khan.

suttonguardian.co.uk/inc…es/
Edited by: "ReturnOfTheLindtOverload" 21st Dec 2017
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload9 m ago

Wrong question. The monster doesn't need to …Wrong question. The monster doesn't need to happen.https://london.greenparty.org.uk/news/23-09-2009-croydon-greens-stop-the-incinerator.htmlHow do you know Khan so well that you can confidently predict his responses?It can get confusing referring to the participants by their last name as the incinerator that Sadiq Khan is refusing to stop is being opposed by Shasha Khan.http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/incinerator/11801205.Burned__Councils_offer_single_sentence_response_to___1bn_incinerator_revelations_as_Viridor_insists_it_wants_no_changes/

I know nothing about this case.
You said Khan should or could block this?
Allow me to accept that it needn't be built for now as I don't like a gigantic chimney near me too.
What is the business justication for this by the executives of the four Boroughs and the impact if this were not built?
Edited by: "splender" 21st Dec 2017
splender3 m ago

I know nothing about this case.

You also said "I am sure Khan would jump on your other site like a flea to your hair."
splender22 m ago

This sounds bad, where should this monster be put instead? Do you know if …This sounds bad, where should this monster be put instead? Do you know if this other site has the blessing from all the residents? I am sure Khan would jump on your other site like a flea to your hair.

Away from residents...plenty of land in uk.
splender4 m ago

Allow me to accept that it needn't be built for now as I don't like a …Allow me to accept that it needn't be built for now as I don't like a gigantic chimney near me too.

Totally, the comment was in answer to your question of "where should this monster be put instead?".
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload5 m ago

You also said "I am sure Khan would jump on your other site like a flea to …You also said "I am sure Khan would jump on your other site like a flea to your hair."

Yes, I am sure Khan would jump on any reasonable and legal grounds within his power to block if the business case were not founded on solid justification. Or are you suggesting otherwise? If he lands in your hair, he will be very close to hear your sound reason., unless it had been explored and dealt with in the long planing inquiry process.
splender29 m ago

What is the business justication for this by the executives of the four …What is the business justication for this by the executives of the four Boroughs and the impact if this were not built?

There is a protracted furore over justifications and impact :
suttonguardian.co.uk/inc…es/

There is also a matter of the incinerator company giving over a quarter of a million pounds to a church being that is used as a canvassing base for Lib Dem Tom Brake:
suttonguardian.co.uk/new…or/
splender8 m ago

Yes, I am sure Khan would jump on any reasonable and legal grounds within …Yes, I am sure Khan would jump on any reasonable and legal grounds within his power to block if the business case were not founded on solid justification. Or are you suggesting otherwise? If he lands in your hair, he will be very close to hear your sound reason., unless it had been explored and dealt with in the long planing inquiry process.

So would it be fair to say that you are confident that Khan would always act fairly and reasonably, and all decisions he makes are based on solid justification?
davewave17 m ago

Away from residents...plenty of land in uk.

Yes, it is a possible consideration but,
1. It is political suicide for any shire county to take on an incinerator,
2. Then it is beyond the power of the London Mayor even if the Office has power in Londo,
3. The matter is dealt with at a government level, ultra vires for Mayor.
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload11 m ago

There is a protracted furore over justifications and impact …There is a protracted furore over justifications and impact :http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/incinerator/11801205.Burned__Councils_offer_single_sentence_response_to___1bn_incinerator_revelations_as_Viridor_insists_it_wants_no_changes/There is also a matter of a church that is used as a canvassing base for Lib Dem Tom Brake:http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/news/12893354.Lib_Dem_linked_church_received_more_than_quarter_of_a_million_pounds_from_company_hoping_to_build_South_London_Incinerator/

splender4 m ago

it is beyond the power of the London Mayor even if the Office has power in …it is beyond the power of the London Mayor even if the Office has power in Londo

After Khan made the "clean air" comment, he was approached about it during a meeting about local matters (Sutton is within his jurisdiction of London), but he refused to give a clear answer reconciling his stated clean air intent with the obvious output of the incinerator.
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload13 m ago

So would it be fair to say that you are confident that Khan would always …So would it be fair to say that you are confident that Khan would always act fairly and reasonably, and all decisions he makes are based on solid justification?

Yes, he would act fairly and reasonably, else he would be challenged in court for maladministration, ultra vires or lack of specific performance with my reservation on litigation fees to access justice. Specifically on conflicts of interests for an issue, may I ask if it is fair to expect that the Major could please all the parties in a conflict all of the time fairly and reasonably? I know this is hard for those impacted, short of a litigation, it is hard to get justice.
splender18 m ago

Yes, he would act fairly and reasonably, else he would be challenged in …Yes, he would act fairly and reasonably, else he would be challenged in court for maladministration, ultra vires or lack of specific performance with my reservation on litigation fees to access justice. Specifically on conflicts of interests for an issue, may I ask if it is fair to expect that the Major could please all the parties in a conflict all of the time fairly and reasonably? I know this is hard for those impacted, short of a litigation, it is hard to get justice.

That's fine, as long as I know where you stand. Unlike you, I am more cynical, and I am less confident that every decision made by people in public office (or indeed people in general) is so correct and beyond reproach, which brings us back full circle to the issue raised by the original poster. This film dispossessionfilm.com/ shows case studies about some estates in London where councils have forced council tenants out of prime locations, e.g. the Elephant and Castle area in London. Some others, still ongoing and in London under Khan's remit, are also included.
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload39 m ago

That's fine, as long as I know where you stand. Unlike you, I am more …That's fine, as long as I know where you stand. Unlike you, I am more cynical, and I am less confident that every decision made by people in public office (or indeed people in general) is so correct and beyond reproach, which brings us back full circle to the issue raised by the original poster. This film dispossessionfilm.com/ shows case studies about some estates in London where councils have forced council tenants out of prime locations, e.g. the Elephant and Castle area in London. Some others, still ongoing and in London under Khan's remit, are also included.

You are right to mistrust some of the public offices and of the businesses and agencies in general. One tries to hold them to account but only with collective effort which means putting personal money and effort in collectively sometimes.We know ourselves many of these insitutional behaviours leading to an air of "they are in it for themselves" and sometimes with evidence. The "cleansing" of people to re-distribute social classes is too much, similarly this happens at schools where pupils are excluded for behaviour and before the governing body. It is always expressed as the "desirability" of an establishment and area rather than tackling the root causes of the problems.
splender4 m ago

You are right to mistrust some of the public offices and of the businesses …You are right to mistrust some of the public offices and of the businesses and agencies in general. One tries to hold them to account but only with collective effort which means putting personal money and effort in collectively sometimes.We know ourselves many of these insitutional behaviours leading to an air of "they are in it for themselves" and sometimes with evidence.

You are wise.
davewave2 m ago

You are wise.

I wouldn't call myself this. I have seen a lot of happiness and bitterness, I am still learning.
splender28 m ago

I wouldn't call myself this. I have seen a lot of happiness and …I wouldn't call myself this. I have seen a lot of happiness and bitterness, I am still learning.

just humble too I guess. Have a great day friend.
davewave59 m ago

just humble too I guess. Have a great day friend.

Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants