Expired

landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was already broken

Found 17th Oct 2017
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Perhaps some kind of 'arrangement'.
Did they report the damaged bed at the beginning of the week?
They need to read the contract to see what it says about damages and also what it says about reporting damages and the time scale on which to report them.
If they have no choice but to replace the bed ask for a receipt for the original bed to find the true cost.
I am a landlord and some Hukd members have accused me of being impartial but that is not the case. As a landlord, I operate within the law and I do have a conscience.

Here is my impartial advice. She needs to look at the signed inventory and see what condition the bed is stated on there. If she has proof that the bed was already broken when she moved in then she can ask for a replacement.

The landlord may be an ass and won't replace the bed so she can buy a cheap one from Argos for example and deduct it from the rent payment if she warns the landlord that she will be doing this and give him opportunity to buy the bed. I would never advise withholding rent but only in justifiable cases that would stand up in court.

Obviously she will have to leave when the contract ends, but sounds like she won't want to stay anyway.
mutley111 m ago

I am a landlord and some Hukd members have accused me of being impartial …I am a landlord and some Hukd members have accused me of being impartial but that is not the case. As a landlord, I operate within the law and I do have a conscience. Here is my impartial advice. She needs to look at the signed inventory and see what condition the bed is stated on there. If she has proof that the bed was already broken when she moved in then she can ask for a replacement.The landlord may be an ass and won't replace the bed so she can buy a cheap one from Argos for example and deduct it from the rent payment if she warns the landlord that she will be doing this and give him opportunity to buy the bed. I would never advise withholding rent but only in justifiable cases that would stand up in court.Obviously she will have to leave when the contract ends, but sounds like she won't want to stay anyway.

Thank you both for your replies. The bed appeared fine initially but until it was slept on it she did not realise it was falling apart (around a week later as it was in the 2nd bedroom) I'm just double checking now but I don't actually believe she was given an inventory report at all! If there is no inventory report would that work in her favour? Thank you
Edited by: "geforce" 17th Oct 2017
My friend has just replied and can confirm she was never given any inventory report at all...
geforce48 m ago

My friend has just replied and can confirm she was never given any …My friend has just replied and can confirm she was never given any inventory report at all...

Then break everything, legally there was nothing there with no inventory!

DISCLAIMER - I know nothing about renting laws!
If your friend has not signed an inventory report then surely she can deny a bed even existed at the property, and same goes for all the other furniture, if its not in writing then how can any party prove anything existed or is damaged, sounds like a bit of a cowboy landlord
geforce1 h, 10 m ago

My friend has just replied and can confirm she was never given any …My friend has just replied and can confirm she was never given any inventory report at all...

I'm not picking sides here but if I was going to rent a furnished place and was responsible for the contents - I'd be inspecting everything, photographic evidence etc before finalising the contract. I've seen too many tv documentaries warning both landlords and tenants about issues similar.
mutley12 h, 5 m ago

I am a landlord and some Hukd members have accused me of being impartial …I am a landlord and some Hukd members have accused me of being impartial but that is not the case. As a landlord, I operate within the law and I do have a conscience. Here is my impartial advice. She needs to look at the signed inventory and see what condition the bed is stated on there. If she has proof that the bed was already broken when she moved in then she can ask for a replacement.The landlord may be an ass and won't replace the bed so she can buy a cheap one from Argos for example and deduct it from the rent payment if she warns the landlord that she will be doing this and give him opportunity to buy the bed. I would never advise withholding rent but only in justifiable cases that would stand up in court.Obviously she will have to leave when the contract ends, but sounds like she won't want to stay anyway.

Yes...it's the inventory which should help to safeguard against disputes like this.
philphil6140 m ago

I'm not picking sides here but if I was going to rent a furnished place …I'm not picking sides here but if I was going to rent a furnished place and was responsible for the contents - I'd be inspecting everything, photographic evidence etc before finalising the contract. I've seen too many tv documentaries warning both landlords and tenants about issues similar.

Decent landlords insist on an inventory, its standard practice if using a high street letting agent.
Your friend doesn't have many choices, but I would threaten to take him to a tenancy tribunal which he would lose, I'm willing to bet he has not put your friends deposit into an independent deposit scheme.
davewave15 m ago

Decent landlords insist on an inventory, its standard practice if using a …Decent landlords insist on an inventory, its standard practice if using a high street letting agent.

I agree Dave

But it's not possible to fully know whether the landlord is decent at the beginning unless they have been recommended.

Like I was trying to explain - there's a lot a risk, financially, when renting (especially furnished) and everyone should have the common sense to protect "their investment"/reduce the risk and not just rely upon others.

You don't just look on the outside of a car and if the colour is right buy it.
Edited by: "philphil61" 17th Oct 2017
philphil6122 m ago

I agree DaveBut it's not possible to fully know whether the landlord is …I agree DaveBut it's not possible to fully know whether the landlord is decent at the beginning unless they have been recommended. Like I was trying to explain - there's a lot a risk, financially, when renting (especially furnished) and everyone should have the common sense to protect "their investment"/reduce the risk and not just rely upon others.You don't just look on the outside of a car and if the colour is right buy it.

Would always use a big estate agent, they keep everything clear for both parties.
As there is no inventory as others have said there will be no proof if the property or furnishings have been well looked after at the end of the tenancy.
In this case if the landlord is not playing ball I would buy the £80 bed frame and dispose of the old frame. When your friend leaves the property just leave the £80 bed frame there as a replacement.
@Bigfootpete has a very good point, it's the whereabouts of the tenancy deposit that I would be worrying about. Your friend needs to have actual confirmation from the company that the monies have been deposited with.
If there is any opportunity for the landlord to raise claim to any part of that deposit then if it's being held in a legitimate tenancy deposit scheme then the landlord has to apply to the TDS ombudsman for monies, he'll have to provide the original signed (by your friend)copy of the inventory (which doesn't exist) together with a leaving inventory.
If your friend cannot find the whereabouts of the deposit (and get written proof (not from the landlord)) then this is a major red flag for what is about to come their way at the end of the tenancy.
Landlord could offset the costs of an inventory against his tax...so perhaps he isn't paying the appropriate tax bill...maybe inform HMRC off suspicions at the end of the tenancy...you know, just in case!
geforce5 h, 1 m ago

Thank you both for your replies. The bed appeared fine initially but until …Thank you both for your replies. The bed appeared fine initially but until it was slept on it she did not realise it was falling apart (around a week later as it was in the 2nd bedroom) I'm just double checking now but I don't actually believe she was given an inventory report at all! If there is no inventory report would that work in her favour? Thank you

Without a signed inventory, the landlord does not have to provide a new bed so she can't buy one and deduct from the rent. However, she doesn't have to replace the bed either for him. It means she has to provide her own furniture.
OP, can you confirm, as you’ve stated in the opening post, that the landlord has chucked the frame away?

If there is no inventory and the landlord has disposed of the bed then buy a new one of your choice and at end of tenancy take it with you...?

OR

Do you have anything in writing saying there should be a bed(s) in the property, if so insist on the landlord replacing it, if he refuses give him 30 days written notice of your intention to replace the bed and deduct it from the following months rent.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants