Landlords... do any of you rent your property to the council / housing association?

Posted 2nd Jul
Debating getting into this. I’ve been reading online about people that rent their properties to the council for guaranteed rent for extended periods. Wondering if there are any landlords here that actually rent their property to housing associations and your experiences of it. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Not any more. Had 3 lots of council tenants On sub market rents and all bought problems. Had to go to court to recover possession with the last one after neighbours complained And endless damage through lack of care. Only benefit is you get rent paid direct to you.

before they deign to accept your property, a nonce with clipboard comes round and demands all sorts of extras including a fridge/freezer which, if it goes wrong, is your problem.

i would like to support those less fortunate than myself but I always regret it bitterly
Sadly, your bigoted assumptions are 100% correct. Council will pay and do nothing else even if your ten at is a loud Scots lady, possibly on the game and possibly dealing. With all the other flats providing written complaints.

councils always have people to house so the rent paid when empty sales pitchis a rather unfortunate attempt to capture your property. DO NOT even begin to think you will get the property back in good condition. Expect leaks to go unreported. Court costs wipe out deposits (which you may not Even get from your council).

sorry to be so negative. I would rather wait for for a private tenant than go council.
Edited by: "ccnp" 2nd Jul
ccnp02/07/2020 22:32

Sadly, your bigoted assumptions are 100% correct. Council will pay and do …Sadly, your bigoted assumptions are 100% correct. Council will pay and do nothing else even if your ten at is a loud Scots lady, possibly on the game and possibly dealing. With all the other flats providing written complaints.councils always have people to house so the rent paid when empty sales pitchis a rather unfortunate attempt to capture your property. DO NOT even begin to think you will get the property back in good condition. Expect leaks to go unreported. Court costs wipe out deposits (which you may not Even get from your council).sorry to be so negative. I would rather wait for for a private tenant than go council.

Why has it got to be a scots lassie?
27 Comments
Not any more. Had 3 lots of council tenants On sub market rents and all bought problems. Had to go to court to recover possession with the last one after neighbours complained And endless damage through lack of care. Only benefit is you get rent paid direct to you.

before they deign to accept your property, a nonce with clipboard comes round and demands all sorts of extras including a fridge/freezer which, if it goes wrong, is your problem.

i would like to support those less fortunate than myself but I always regret it bitterly
ccnp02/07/2020 22:16

Not any more. Had 3 lots of council tenants On sub market rents and all …Not any more. Had 3 lots of council tenants On sub market rents and all bought problems. Had to go to court to recover possession with the last one after neighbours complained And endless damage through lack of care. Only benefit is you get rent paid direct to you.before they deign to accept your property, a nonce with clipboard comes round and demands all sorts of extras including a fridge/freezer which, if it goes wrong, is your problem.i would like to support those less fortunate than myself but I always regret it bitterly

Thanks for your input, I’m new to the concept and idea of this totally, Ive rented to private tenants before which haven’t been an issue but I can see ( no stereotypes intended) council tenants being a problem. I was under the impression that the council assume responsibility for things like the fridge/freezer and most say the home will be “returned how it was given” am I wrong in thinking that? On paper it looks like a good idea, long rent periods guaranteed, rent when not tenanted etc. It’s something I’m toying with and will look into it more but again, just looking for input from people who have been there as such.
Sadly, your bigoted assumptions are 100% correct. Council will pay and do nothing else even if your ten at is a loud Scots lady, possibly on the game and possibly dealing. With all the other flats providing written complaints.

councils always have people to house so the rent paid when empty sales pitchis a rather unfortunate attempt to capture your property. DO NOT even begin to think you will get the property back in good condition. Expect leaks to go unreported. Court costs wipe out deposits (which you may not Even get from your council).

sorry to be so negative. I would rather wait for for a private tenant than go council.
Edited by: "ccnp" 2nd Jul

Sadly, your bigoted assumptions are 100% correct. Council will pay and do …Sadly, your bigoted assumptions are 100% correct. Council will pay and do nothing else even if your ten at is a loud Scots lady, possibly on the game and possibly dealing. With all the other flats providing written complaints.councils always have people to house so the rent paid when empty sales pitchis a rather unfortunate attempt to capture your property. DO NOT even begin to think you will get the property back in good condition. Expect leaks to go unreported. Court costs wipe out deposits (which you may not Even get from your council).sorry to be so negative. I would rather wait for for a private tenant than go council.

Why has it got to be a scots lassie?

I’d rather you be negative and honest if that’s the experience you’ve had, it was only an idea and you’re right, it probably is just a sales pitch to capture the property. Again thanks for your input it’s much appreciated.
we did look into it but dismissed it as reading through their terms and condition, it stated that we would still be responsible for maintaing the property to a certain extent.

we also do not trust the council to return the property in the same condition and we would end up paying for a lot of damage when the property is returned. have you ever heard anyone being sucessful at suing the council??
A friend has had a nightmare time renting a property via a local housing association (on the Isle of Wight).

I’ve seen photos of the property and I personally think because it’s not the nicest place it doesn’t attract people who necessarily take pride in their home, which isn’t a good thing.

The cost of upkeep to the properly is really high (bathroom mould problems was the latest issue) and the income doesn’t always cover the mortgage.

The LHA also get involved in silly things like bin access disputes and can make life difficult for the landlord. Quite amusing when you hear the stories my friend says until you realise it’s your friend and costing him money, sleepless nights and stress

My friend put the house on the market in Feb just before Covid-19 kicked off and now it is in negative equity.

From what I’ve seen my friend go through, it’s very stressful if you don’t get a good tenant BUT that could be said for any property, and everyone deserves a nice home with a good landlord.
I also have a friend who rented out a really nice house for a weekend and it was used for a boozy sex party that went OUT OF CONTROL and caused thousands of pounds of damage.

One of those stories you hear about that the news of the party went viral and hundreds of people went. They trashed the place.
The thing is everyone deserves a nice home to live in, and if you are a good landlord you could make someone’s life better and have a solid investment property it’s a great thing

It’s a tricky one and it’s like review sites online; you really only hear the horror stories as disgruntled people are more likely to tell their story than happy people.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 2nd Jul
I've always thought that (in an ideal world) there should be a list of tenants (private and DSS) freely available to show which people to avoid letting your property to....yes, I know gdpr and all that faff would implicate the idea- but I can still dream....

then again, in an ideal world there wouldn't be any idiots who trash other peoples property/ do not pay rent..
I did this twice, first time not a problem, polite single male, property was left clean and he even filled holes and painted the wall where he’d put a telly up.

Second tenant was lovely, single mum. No problems until a year in. Unbeknownst, boyfriend and his sister had moved in (small 2 bed flat). Luckily rent was still direct but the top up amount had stopped. When she left, had to request deposit to be held by the council due to a broken sink, broken bed, broken flooring, missing keys, missing sofa, the list goes on.

Went private, had a nice french tenant, on placement. Rent paid fine.

Next tenant painted everything in black gloss- including the bathroom floor and fitted wardrobes. Place was littered with needles, fleas bouncing off the beds, then when I took back possession they broke in after handing the keys back. Ended up with the police involved.

Sold the flat not long after that.

I think you’re more likely to get a turd, but more by the fact that it’s cheaper than because they’re council tenants.
I had council tenants, who I knew.
Were not bad but hassle at times.
When they moved out after 9 years it cost me £5000.00 to put everything right.
Full decoration new carpets, Had leaking kitchen tap but did not tell me.So extra grand to replace them.
If they had told me a £-.50p washer would have fixed it.
Same as above put mine up for sale In March, just no profit in it any more since LHA and gov fixed rents.
I've been a landlord too (private) , although I didn't have many issues at all I just didn't like it (have too much else going on without trying to sort someone else's problems out too)

I also did consider going to the council, but again like everyone heard all the horror stories and decided against it.

I wouldn't tar everyone with the samd brush though, just because someone is homeless doesn't mean that they are not going to look after your home, there is plenty of nice people out there. Sadly its the ones that damage everything that most people hear of
Many years ago my mum let three flats direct to Hackney council, and TBH it was easy money and the council put the properties back to a similar condition. Moving on 30 years though I'm sure things have changed.
However I also let property and in my experience you get good and bad in both sectors. The key is in my opinion is don't just accept the first person who walks through your door. Ask about their previous housing situations and why they want to move in to your property. The funny thing is you probably wouldn't let someone test drive a car your selling for £500, yet people seem all to happy to hand over keys to a house. Get a guarantor. I would rather a property is empty for a few weeks, than no rent for months.
I make it very clear that it's their home but my property and with that in mind they need to ask permission before doing any alterations.
As for the cost of wear and tear be realistic. If the kitchen, bathroom, carpets etc weren't new and suddenly let's say 10 years later need replacing due to a tennant moving out, as long as it's not due to abuse then that's fine by me.
Overall in my 23 years of being a landlord I have only ever lost about £4k through 3 tennants which in real terms is about 1%. Plus the properties have made a considerable amount e.g. first flat cost me £30k and is now worth about £175k.
I'm not sure I have 100% answered your question but letting property can be good and bad you just need to do your homework.
Thanks for the replies guys, honestly it’s good to hear some real stories of both the good and the bad. It’s something that I’m looking to maybe get into next year. Always had private tenants who were extremely long term, talking 15+ years. Have now sold the property’s they were in and was looking to maybe go the council route. I will of course look into this more and properly research, I also believe it differs from council to council. The only thing that’s surprised me here is I thought that once the council took your property on their books that they decided who went in there, not you. I will continue to research and look for information. Thanks again to everyone that’s contributed.
A friend of mine has a BTL HMO which is let directly to the council who use it to home asylum seekers. The house is entirely the responsibility of the council to upkeep and administer. He has no contact with the occupants and simply gets paid, been like this for several years and he seems very happy with the arrangement.
airbus33003/07/2020 09:27

A friend of mine has a BTL HMO which is let directly to the council who …A friend of mine has a BTL HMO which is let directly to the council who use it to home asylum seekers. The house is entirely the responsibility of the council to upkeep and administer. He has no contact with the occupants and simply gets paid, been like this for several years and he seems very happy with the arrangement.

This is the type of arrangement that I believed the councils offered. Literally buy property, let to council, they take responsibility and house tenants.
The old saying is that you could house pigs in palaces, but they would still be pigs.
I think it just depends on the mind state of the tenant rather than whether it's private rented or not.
A tenant can private rent and still receive benefits to cover their rent - not you directly renting out to the council.

A woman across the road from my mum, long story short it's a private rent 3 bed semi but she receives benefits as she has 3 kids and doesn't work.
Her boyfriend p*ssed someone off and a couple of weeks later the outside of the house was on fire and caused £14,000 worth of damage which the landlord had to claim through insurance.

If you can legally do an inspection every couple/few months and if the place isn't being kept then get them out as longterm it isn't worth the cost of potential damage.

I think it also depends on the specific council - whether or not they will do repairs off their own back and use their own material.
Kratos6903/07/2020 09:28

This is the type of arrangement that I believed the councils offered. …This is the type of arrangement that I believed the councils offered. Literally buy property, let to council, they take responsibility and house tenants.

There's plenty of organisations that do this, but it is usually administered at a local council level, so things vary. The council generally pay a below market value rent, but guarantee to return the property in good order. There used to be a thread on Money Saving Expert for this subject a few years ago.
This is not the same as renting your house to tenants directly, which I would not do again at any price point.
airbus33003/07/2020 10:58

There's plenty of organisations that do this, but it is usually …There's plenty of organisations that do this, but it is usually administered at a local council level, so things vary. The council generally pay a below market value rent, but guarantee to return the property in good order. There used to be a thread on Money Saving Expert for this subject a few years ago. This is not the same as renting your house to tenants directly, which I would not do again at any price point.

Thanks for the input. I’ve had private tenants before who were no problem at all but they were extremely long term tenants on an under market value rent, the situation just worked for both of us. The council thing intrigued me because of the long contracts and the almost “give it to the council and forget about it” thought.
Kratos6903/07/2020 11:19

Thanks for the input. I’ve had private tenants before who were no problem a …Thanks for the input. I’ve had private tenants before who were no problem at all but they were extremely long term tenants on an under market value rent, the situation just worked for both of us. The council thing intrigued me because of the long contracts and the almost “give it to the council and forget about it” thought.

I had 4 bad tennants, always promising to be the perfect tennants, always BS. I would probably use an agency for the short term until you find someone that wants to stay there for a long time. Then just cut out the agency
I did consider this for when i was thinking to rent my property out. It's like estate agencies but without the huge fee's. The council completed an inital assessment and asked me to make further changes to property. After investing already alot of money on the property (new walls carpets central heating etc) i decided not too.
My parents used the Council but not a Housing Association. It was offered unfurnished with basic decor for 5 years and the agreement is for them to return it in the same state. They had no problems. They renewed once for a further 2-3 years and after that I think they decided not to renew as they could get more money renting privately - which is what they do now.

Estate agents are a massive rip off. The reality is as a landlord you have endless obligations and fact is you know what you need to do - you certainly do not need some estate agent to tell you that stuff. Hop on OpenRent and rent the place out yourself. For added peace of mind take out a membership with the RLA and get landlord support whenever you need. They can even provide all the "legal" documents you will need to provide your tenants include a Tenancy Agreement. Referencing is super cheap too - £22 for a very thorough reference. It's not everyone's cup of tea because some people do not have the time to do this. However, just remember, no one will look after "your house" like you look after "your house" ...
bigwheels03/07/2020 06:11

I had council tenants, who I knew.Were not bad but hassle at times.When …I had council tenants, who I knew.Were not bad but hassle at times.When they moved out after 9 years it cost me £5000.00 to put everything right.Full decoration new carpets, Had leaking kitchen tap but did not tell me.So extra grand to replace them.If they had told me a £-.50p washer would have fixed it.Same as above put mine up for sale In March, just no profit in it any more since LHA and gov fixed rents.

Cost you a grand to fit a new tap or was it the base washer meaning cupboards below damaged ?
Mark_Hickman05/07/2020 23:52

Cost you a grand to fit a new tap or was it the base washer meaning …Cost you a grand to fit a new tap or was it the base washer meaning cupboards below damaged ?

No, 3 new worktops. As could not replace only one.
So a new mixer tap, sink, 3 worktops and hob taken out and replaced by gas engineer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants